Reunion question for Julie

Joan
Joan

March 31st, 2008, 7:13 pm #1

Hi Julie! I seem to recall that one of the ways you found "lost orphans" was that you made a web site with all of their names in the hopes that they would google themselves, find the web site, and thus contact you. I just wanted to know how difficult was that (or how easy) and were you able to find most people that way? I am trying to organize a reunion for my elementary school class (1981).

Dina
Dina

March 31st, 2008, 11:27 pm #2

I am planning an elementary school reunion too and I found a ton of people on Facebook. Still not as many as I would like, but my co-organizer and I have been quite pleased with what a turn-out there is just via Facebook alone.

Good luck and have fun!!

Dina

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

March 31st, 2008, 11:40 pm #3

Facebook and My Space are great places to find long lost classmates. Also send everyone you get in touch with a list of the classmates you can't find. That's a great way to find out where some are.

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

April 1st, 2008, 4:28 am #4

is good too for finding classmates.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

April 1st, 2008, 4:35 am #5

Hi Julie! I seem to recall that one of the ways you found "lost orphans" was that you made a web site with all of their names in the hopes that they would google themselves, find the web site, and thus contact you. I just wanted to know how difficult was that (or how easy) and were you able to find most people that way? I am trying to organize a reunion for my elementary school class (1981).
I have to be honest - finding women who are now married and have changed their last names is really tough. All of the advice given so far is helpful. On websites like Facebook, Classmates.com, Reunion.com and My Space, you can do a search for your school and see if there already exists a page or database. That's a great way to start. If not, create one for your school and class. If you have a little budget, you could also take out a small ad in a local paper saying that you are looking for alums. The other idea is to ask the school for any old mailing addresses, if they are willing to share that with you, and send out postcards to the childhood address - many parents of your classmates probably still live in the family home.

Julie

Dina
Dina

April 1st, 2008, 1:45 pm #6

When I first joined FB I did so under my married name (well, divorced but still keep my married name). Anyway, I hardly got anyone contacting me (except for those who knew me by my married name, in my adult years). Then I changed my name on FB to include both my maiden name and my married name, and suddenly all these old friends from elementary school, camp, etc, started popping up. You'd be amazed how easy it is.

Dina

Joan
Joan

April 1st, 2008, 3:05 pm #7

I have to be honest - finding women who are now married and have changed their last names is really tough. All of the advice given so far is helpful. On websites like Facebook, Classmates.com, Reunion.com and My Space, you can do a search for your school and see if there already exists a page or database. That's a great way to start. If not, create one for your school and class. If you have a little budget, you could also take out a small ad in a local paper saying that you are looking for alums. The other idea is to ask the school for any old mailing addresses, if they are willing to share that with you, and send out postcards to the childhood address - many parents of your classmates probably still live in the family home.

Julie
How did you link the reunion web site to google? Does that just happen automatically or do you have to link it somehow?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

April 1st, 2008, 3:28 pm #8

Joan:

Google picks up sites on its own and it is usually through the amount of daily traffic. The reason annieorphans.com became so easy to find on google is because of all of the daily conversation and posts on this forum. A static site that no one visits will most likely not get picked up by google. Your best bet is to search your classmates name on google, do searches on all of the sites we have recommended, and possibly add a daily blog to your website where you mention people's names and post every day.

Julie

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

April 1st, 2008, 4:47 pm #9

Try this site. Go to www.ancestry.com
Somewhere on there is the Social Security Death Index. LOL

But seriously, what happens is you get the name AND maiden name of people you're searching for. And ya know, if they've um...passed on...you'll know it. You might not even need the death index. Ancestry.com itself might have a good search engine.

I've found A LOT of people that way. And classmates.com is great, especially if someone already set up a page from your school