Regarding Joanna ....

Regarding Joanna ....

November 28th, 2008, 4:19 am #1

Someone just posted this on the BroadwayWorld message board, and I had never seen it before. Apparently, according to one comment, this is a follow-up to the follow-up they filmed after Joanna was fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc693cU4Sfg

One thing that struck me: they mention that at first Joanna was offered the option of sharing the role of Annie with Britney, but that the two parties couldn't agree on terms. Well, I wonder how that would have worked when the show opened on Broadway. I think it's pretty likely that Joanna would have been a favorite, the preferred Annie to see. I wonder if ticket sales would have reflected that, and the producers might have ended up giving her back the role completely. And perhaps the show would have had better success on Broadway.

Any thoughts? I just thought it was an interesting idea.

Laura
Laura

November 28th, 2008, 6:50 am #2

I believe the show would have lasted with Joanna. People would have enjoyed it more without the bad press.

K.S.
K.S.

November 28th, 2008, 6:14 pm #3

Nothing against Britny at all, but Joanna was and is clearly intensely talented. I didn't know that she was offered to share the role at the time. Very interesting.

All in all, I hope American Idol gives her the break that she hasn't quite been able to do over the years.

old fan
old fan

November 28th, 2008, 7:49 pm #4

..that Joanna would have done better in the role, and I saw on Turning Point Part 2 that she was offered sharing the role, but Brittny would be opening. I don't blame her family for turning this offer down.It was insulting. I also hope she does well in AI.

Rachel
Rachel

November 28th, 2008, 7:57 pm #5

I'm not even sure if I believe that about them offering to split the role between the two of them. I know it was on "Turning Point" but I just am not sure if I believe that's the truth.

With regards to how the show would do if they shared it, I'm not sure how much better it would have done. Plenty of people have been fired during out-of-town try outs for shows but what "Turning Point" managed to do was build up a lot of buzz for "Annie" returning to Broadway. Without that special, I think they could have fired Joanna fairly quietly and the Pacittis wouldn't have had much of a legal leg to stand on either. But with all of that publicity, people fell in love with Joanna before the show even opened. I think it still would have left a bitter taste in people's mouths that she had been relegated to sharing the role and not getting opening night. It's also important to note that the scandal and Brittny's performance as Annie were not the only things wrong with the revival. The producers took many missteps which compromised the quality of the show.

Rachel

Question
Question

November 28th, 2008, 8:27 pm #6

Did Joanna ever make it to a Broadway Show? Also, it seems that the producers did learn from this? After this was another Annie replaced in such a way?

Laura
Laura

November 28th, 2008, 9:41 pm #7

Let's hope this time Joanna sings better songs. She should try to market ehrself more like this gerations Celine Dion not another Brittny. Let her sing straight out not try to sing too many riffs to try to sound a certain street way. Let her hold notes and not have her voice burryied in drum machines and vocal effects. Like the production used in some Mandy Moore songs. The song "only Hope" comes to mind.

Denver
Denver

November 28th, 2008, 10:21 pm #8

Someone just posted this on the BroadwayWorld message board, and I had never seen it before. Apparently, according to one comment, this is a follow-up to the follow-up they filmed after Joanna was fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc693cU4Sfg

One thing that struck me: they mention that at first Joanna was offered the option of sharing the role of Annie with Britney, but that the two parties couldn't agree on terms. Well, I wonder how that would have worked when the show opened on Broadway. I think it's pretty likely that Joanna would have been a favorite, the preferred Annie to see. I wonder if ticket sales would have reflected that, and the producers might have ended up giving her back the role completely. And perhaps the show would have had better success on Broadway.

Any thoughts? I just thought it was an interesting idea.
Does anyone know if her parents actually filed a lawsuit against Macy's? If so, did it go through or was it dropped?

I would imagine somewhere buried in her contract there was a disclaimer regarding the contest and performance guarantee etc...

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

November 28th, 2008, 10:34 pm #9

Originally, Joanna's people filed two lawsuits, one against the producers and the other against Macy's. The first one was dropped once they found out that the show and Equity had binding arbitration, and the last thing they wanted to do was mess with binding arbitration.

The lawsuit against Macy's was just about to go to trial in 2001 when Macy's suddenly settled out of court. The amount of money was never revealed, but it was presumed that the settlement made Joanna a millionaire, which enabled her to pursue a recording career.

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

November 28th, 2008, 10:43 pm #10

I'm not even sure if I believe that about them offering to split the role between the two of them. I know it was on "Turning Point" but I just am not sure if I believe that's the truth.

With regards to how the show would do if they shared it, I'm not sure how much better it would have done. Plenty of people have been fired during out-of-town try outs for shows but what "Turning Point" managed to do was build up a lot of buzz for "Annie" returning to Broadway. Without that special, I think they could have fired Joanna fairly quietly and the Pacittis wouldn't have had much of a legal leg to stand on either. But with all of that publicity, people fell in love with Joanna before the show even opened. I think it still would have left a bitter taste in people's mouths that she had been relegated to sharing the role and not getting opening night. It's also important to note that the scandal and Brittny's performance as Annie were not the only things wrong with the revival. The producers took many missteps which compromised the quality of the show.

Rachel
I agree with Rachel in wondering how much, if any, talk was done (and when) about the possibility of sharing the title role. I think that another conflict was that if the role were shared, which Annie would perform on the upcoming revival cast album? As we all know, they decided not to do a cast album after all for Annie 20th, and the conflict over the proposed shared role was probably one of the reasons.

A big misstep on the part of the 1997 producers was to make Thomas Meehan stand in the audience shortly into the run with a clipboard to take 17 minutes out of the show because they thought that the show was too long and making the kids in the audience "antsy." To this day, the script has never been up to the quality it used to be before that happened.