question for the pro's!

mom
mom

May 20th, 2008, 5:12 pm #1

Hello! If a child is contracted with a "manager", would seeking out an "agent" to also represent the child, be a conflict of interest? Yes, I know, read the contract! But, it doesn't clearly state that in normal verbage! Just needed some expertise advice! Thank you-

NYCMom
NYCMom

May 20th, 2008, 5:23 pm #2

many have both managers and agents, but it's best if you let the mgr know you are seeking rep. by an agent.

momofadiva
momofadiva

May 20th, 2008, 6:55 pm #3

Hello! If a child is contracted with a "manager", would seeking out an "agent" to also represent the child, be a conflict of interest? Yes, I know, read the contract! But, it doesn't clearly state that in normal verbage! Just needed some expertise advice! Thank you-
Managers generally like to control which agent/s your child meets with.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 21st, 2008, 12:29 am #4

Managers are not permitted to negotiate contracts, so it is often a better idea to be with an agent (who takes 10% of any income) rather than a manager (who can take 15% or more). On the other hand, many people like to work with both a manager and an agent because it doubles the chance for auditions and sometimes agents take on so many clients that you can feel lost in the shuffle.

Julie

Kim Ryan
Kim Ryan

May 25th, 2008, 8:02 pm #5

Great points, Julie. Also, I think it's important to add that unlike with agents, you can successfully negotiate with a manager to accept less than 15% or at least certain areas, i.e. print vs. voiceover vs. commercial vs. film/tv, etc. My daughters' manager accepts just 10%, across the board. She is wonderful.

Kim