question about original broadway cast

guynyc
guynyc

January 10th, 2009, 5:33 am #1

back in the day, was there any overlap between the time Andrea McArdle starred in the title role and the time Sarah Jessica Parker joined the cast as an orphan? I know I've seen pictures of Andrea and Sarah together, but they look like backstage or party type settings when Andrea was a little older than she was during her Broadway run. I also know they performed together at the Broadway Plays Washington show in the early 80s (can't get enough of Andrea's "Tomorrow" from that show, it gives me goosebumps) but both of them were older then.

There's no particular reason that I'm asking beyond curiosity.

cheers to everyone!

Claire
Claire

January 10th, 2009, 5:45 am #2

I don't think so. I think Sarah joined when Shelly Bruce was playing. And I agree about Andrea's performance of Tomorrow on the Broadway Plays Washington show, it was BREATHTAKING (not too crazy about her hairdo though). Another favorite is when she performed Tomorrow at the 1981 Tonys. She did a beautiful job, and she looked really pretty also

Laura
Laura

January 10th, 2009, 6:50 am #3

I remember seeing an interview on Good Morning America where SJP said she picked things up from both Annies, Andrea and Shelley. I always wondered too what she meant by that

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

January 10th, 2009, 10:34 am #4

That interview was on the morning of January 3, 1983, right after Annie closed on Broadway the previous day. David Hartman was talking to all 5 Broadway Annies. About Andrea and Shelley, Sarah said "I was an Orphan when they were both Annie" and said that she would be proud to know she "picked up things from both their performances." It is possible that her term as an Orphan simultaneous with Andrea's being Annie prior to the change to Shelley may have been rather short-lived.

old fan
old fan

January 10th, 2009, 2:02 pm #5

...I thought SJP didn't join the cast until Shelley was in the lead...maybe she meant she picked things up from watching Andrea at performances they did out of the show, or even listening to the album etc ?? I remember on LAT she said she was Annie-crazy before being in the show ! I also never saw a photo with Andra & SJP together prior to Sarah taking over the lead. Her year as an orphan was definitely when Shelley was established in the part.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

January 10th, 2009, 3:55 pm #6

back in the day, was there any overlap between the time Andrea McArdle starred in the title role and the time Sarah Jessica Parker joined the cast as an orphan? I know I've seen pictures of Andrea and Sarah together, but they look like backstage or party type settings when Andrea was a little older than she was during her Broadway run. I also know they performed together at the Broadway Plays Washington show in the early 80s (can't get enough of Andrea's "Tomorrow" from that show, it gives me goosebumps) but both of them were older then.

There's no particular reason that I'm asking beyond curiosity.

cheers to everyone!
As far as I know, Sarah never did the show with Andrea. I think she probably watched the show with Andrea as Annie and came in during the transition to Shelley Bruce. This is the only photo I could find with overlapping casts from the original orphans and Sarah Jessica.

Julie

Laura
Laura

January 10th, 2009, 7:57 pm #7

That interview was on the morning of January 3, 1983, right after Annie closed on Broadway the previous day. David Hartman was talking to all 5 Broadway Annies. About Andrea and Shelley, Sarah said "I was an Orphan when they were both Annie" and said that she would be proud to know she "picked up things from both their performances." It is possible that her term as an Orphan simultaneous with Andrea's being Annie prior to the change to Shelley may have been rather short-lived.
that's exactly the interview I was referring to

kelly
kelly

January 10th, 2009, 8:04 pm #8

I think Sarah was learning the show with the new girls joining the cast when Andrea was leaving. She was never the swing and was Shelley's annie understudy from the get go.They may have seen each other but didn't perform togethre.

guynyc
guynyc

January 10th, 2009, 8:13 pm #9

As far as I know, Sarah never did the show with Andrea. I think she probably watched the show with Andrea as Annie and came in during the transition to Shelley Bruce. This is the only photo I could find with overlapping casts from the original orphans and Sarah Jessica.

Julie
thanks for that, Julie!

guynyc
guynyc

January 10th, 2009, 8:19 pm #10

I don't think so. I think Sarah joined when Shelly Bruce was playing. And I agree about Andrea's performance of Tomorrow on the Broadway Plays Washington show, it was BREATHTAKING (not too crazy about her hairdo though). Another favorite is when she performed Tomorrow at the 1981 Tonys. She did a beautiful job, and she looked really pretty also
great performance. especially cool is watching her as she gets to the belting "and sayyyyy, ohhhhhh" part: listen to the crowd go wild, she is totally blowing them away, and look at the expression on her face at that moment. she is nailing it and she knows it. One can just imagine the audience of broadway professionals thinking "ok, clearly this girl's Annie success was no fluke!"