Question about 1982 film finalists

Jennifer
Jennifer

January 7th, 2009, 7:03 pm #1

Who were the other finalists for the role of Annie in the 1982 movie? I know Angela Lee, Robin Ignico and Lucie Stewart were all finalists and each were prominently featured in the film with Aileen (although Angela didn't have any lines), but I've wondered who the other nine finalists were and which orphan scenes they were in.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

January 7th, 2009, 7:06 pm #2

I've watched the screen tests and only Aileen, Angela and Robin were given screen tests with Albert Finney (Daddy Warbucks). Robin became a main orphan and Angela was one of the featured extra orphans.

Julie

Suzanne
Suzanne

January 8th, 2009, 12:24 am #3

I got a rejection letter for the role of Annie. Years later, as an adult I met up with Garrison True and he told me I was in the last 10 - and that he tried to fight for me to at least be in the film. I made it to the very last group before the Annie Academy - I know it was a handful of us, then they narrowed it down to nine for the role of Annie all to be headed for LA and to be in the film. Amanda (Mandy)Peterson was sent from Colorado to be in the Annie Academy and in the film... but I don't know if she was up for the role of Annie or not. We had tons of video taped screen tests, all of which were with Garrison True. My letter makes me laugh now but I cried and cried back then. "...while you were not chosen...we know you will cheer for the girl who is selected to be our Annie...."

For fun, I added the pics of my Annie movie audition and callbacks days... They had me cut my hair into the shorter bob cut. As time went on with the callbacks, my hair style and all would change depending on how they asked me to do it. -- Hope you enjoy them.

Memories...

Oddly crosseyed here lol - rehearsing for my very last callback.

I'm on the left

Suzanne

old fan
old fan

January 8th, 2009, 12:34 am #4

..they put you young girls through a lot. I didn't realize for an audition, they would make you cut & dye your hair ! Hopes must have built up, higher than most auditions, I would think....you sure would have made a cute Annie. Nice photos. I hope your memories were mainly good, mixed with disappointment, I'm sure...I guess you got to know Aileen and the other finalists and the orphan cast ?

Suzanne
Suzanne

January 8th, 2009, 2:08 am #5

aww, thank you! - I met Aileen at an Audition when I moved to New York, but because I lived in Denver all of my auditions were private through my agent. So I didn't have the experiences like those on the videos of the auditions. It was really fun, but yes my hopes were up way too high especially after all the callbacks. I remember getting the sides and learning the lines on my way home from my agent's office. I did get to know some of the other kids that were being sent for the film while in the office, so we'd practice the scenes together. --- As for the hair and such, I don't know if it was Garrison's wanting for the hair cuts and stuff, or what - it could have been because all of my auditions were filmed... I should ask my mom about that.

For the locket scene at my final callback, Garrison True gave me an Annie necklace and I was so excited. I used to carry that necklace around like it was gold. (I memorized that rejection letter just like Annie with her note. I laugh so hard that I still have it memorized. I think my friends felt the same way the orphans did about Annie's note! lol)

It's so weird because I remember so much from those auditions like it was yesterday. I got to work with Garrison True a lot after the movie auditions too because he'd come to Denver for acting workshops, and he would have me do the scenes and songs from Annie for his classes. He would always say "This is my Annie". He was such a wonderful man. I wonder where his life has taken him.

:0) Suzanne

Claire
Claire

January 8th, 2009, 2:56 am #6

Aww, that's such a cute story, thanks for sharing

Noel
Noel

January 8th, 2009, 5:45 am #7

So cool! Thank you for sharing all that you did with us. I know it was ultimately disappointing but when you think about it you are a part of ANNIE History! The fact you got to learn the lines, get the hair cut AND work with Garrison True, that is simply Awesome!

You would have made an adorable ANNIE! So nice that you are a part of the Forum so we can all hear about your experiences. That is one of the nicest things about being here at Julie's "Virtual Home" is that I get to share in so many ANNIE experiences past and present that I could have only ever dreamed of hearing about years ago.

Thanks so much and Congrats on all you've accomplished!

Noel
Noel

January 8th, 2009, 7:17 am #8

Who were the other finalists for the role of Annie in the 1982 movie? I know Angela Lee, Robin Ignico and Lucie Stewart were all finalists and each were prominently featured in the film with Aileen (although Angela didn't have any lines), but I've wondered who the other nine finalists were and which orphan scenes they were in.
Did Aileen get the ANNIE hair cut during the auditions? I remember seeing her with dark semi-longish curls when they introduced her to the press. I just don't remember her with the ANNIE cut and color...ever. Did I miss something along the way?

Suzanne
Suzanne

January 8th, 2009, 10:48 am #9

I'm pretty sure none of them ever got that hair cut. I'm going to ask my mom and see if she remembers what the hair cut thing was all about. lol - now I'm wondering... curious.

Thanks, Noel for your really sweet comment. It means a lot to me! :0) It was a very special part of my life.

You know, I did hear that Kristen Chenoweth auditioned for the movie too. I forget who told me that.

Suzanne

Jennifer
Jennifer

January 8th, 2009, 2:58 pm #10

So cool! Thank you for sharing all that you did with us. I know it was ultimately disappointing but when you think about it you are a part of ANNIE History! The fact you got to learn the lines, get the hair cut AND work with Garrison True, that is simply Awesome!

You would have made an adorable ANNIE! So nice that you are a part of the Forum so we can all hear about your experiences. That is one of the nicest things about being here at Julie's "Virtual Home" is that I get to share in so many ANNIE experiences past and present that I could have only ever dreamed of hearing about years ago.

Thanks so much and Congrats on all you've accomplished!
Wow, these are amazing stories. I wasn't born until the 80s, so hearing about actual people who were involved with the original movie and their experiences is kind of surreal.

I think the deal with the hair might have been that the producers weren't sure what Annie's look would be. Suzanne reminded me of the stage/Broadway Annies, and maybe they were considering that look for awhile, but eventually they decided to put a wig on Annie. So then they probably considered a specific bone structure that would look good with the wig (Aileen, Robin, Angela and Lucie all had very similar profiles). This is just my guess.

And Suzanne, it's perfectly natural that you would remember every second of that audition! I have tried out for many community productions of Annie, but the one where I got cast as Annie is the most vivid memory I have. I was 13 years old and one month shy of turning 14 when the show closed. My family wasn't used to the rigorous rehearsal schedule of an actor in a leading role, and I wasn't used to playing a lead, so many of my memories are of challenges, but it really prepared me for my future as a drama teacher and director (of community theater), and now I work as an EMT, and that takes its own amount of "acting." I honestly don't think actors ever waste a minute of their time in show business, even if we don't win every role. I am sure your Annie audition taught you a lot about discipline and hard work that helped you in the future.