Political Video from Lauren Gaffney's mom

Political Video from Lauren Gaffney's mom

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

October 29th, 2008, 5:53 pm #1

Leapin' Lizards — "It's a Hard Knock Life" these days. So professional nurses, Donna Gaffney and Carol Roye, strongly believing that "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow" with the election of Barack Obama, have produced a rallying call to help get out the vote. And they chose the perfect song to convey the message: Somebody's Gotta Do Somethin' by Tony Award winners Charles Strouse (Annie, Bye Bye Birdie, Applause) and Martin Charnin (Annie, The First) from the famed composer's and lyricist's musical Annie Warbucks.

So Gaffney, whose daughter originated the title role in Annie Warbucks in Chicago in 1992 and sang "Somebody's Gotta Do Somethin'," called Charnin and Strouse for permission to use their song. Giving their go-ahead, Martin Charnin offered to rewrite the lyrics.

The result turned into an all-out effort by a team of 20 people. Broadway regulars, including Frank Ventura who recruited the singers and pianist and David "DibS" Shackney who was the sound engineer, recorded the newly rewritten song. Donna and Carol produced an accompanying video. And did Lauren do the vocals? Nope- she was editing the video with Hess Keenan.

"Somebody's Gotta Do Somethin'"can be downloaded onto ipods (the mp3 is available by emailing 2nurses4change@gmail.com). The YouTube link is below.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7teWoQXPTrs

So, download the song, put on your sneakers and go knock on those doors!!!

GO OBAMA-BIDEN!!!
Donna and Carol

Donna A. Gaffney, APRN, BC, DNSc, FAAN

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CindyS
CindyS

October 30th, 2008, 2:17 am #2

A few months ago another poster got quite upset with me for signing one of my posts, "God bless", saying this wasn't the place for religious viewpoints.

Now, Julie herself is promoting political videos, albeit Annie related.

Unbelievable. I will admit, though, that the singer sounds adorable and the lyrics were well written.

Noel
Noel

October 30th, 2008, 3:56 am #3

Leapin' Lizards — "It's a Hard Knock Life" these days. So professional nurses, Donna Gaffney and Carol Roye, strongly believing that "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow" with the election of Barack Obama, have produced a rallying call to help get out the vote. And they chose the perfect song to convey the message: Somebody's Gotta Do Somethin' by Tony Award winners Charles Strouse (Annie, Bye Bye Birdie, Applause) and Martin Charnin (Annie, The First) from the famed composer's and lyricist's musical Annie Warbucks.

So Gaffney, whose daughter originated the title role in Annie Warbucks in Chicago in 1992 and sang "Somebody's Gotta Do Somethin'," called Charnin and Strouse for permission to use their song. Giving their go-ahead, Martin Charnin offered to rewrite the lyrics.

The result turned into an all-out effort by a team of 20 people. Broadway regulars, including Frank Ventura who recruited the singers and pianist and David "DibS" Shackney who was the sound engineer, recorded the newly rewritten song. Donna and Carol produced an accompanying video. And did Lauren do the vocals? Nope- she was editing the video with Hess Keenan.

"Somebody's Gotta Do Somethin'"can be downloaded onto ipods (the mp3 is available by emailing 2nurses4change@gmail.com). The YouTube link is below.

Check it out:

GO OBAMA-BIDEN!!!
Donna and Carol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
That is so great to hear "Something" about Lauren Gaffney! She was great in "Annie Warbucks" and I've always been curious what she has been doing. Thanks for the update. I would absolutely love it if she recorded something...anything...anything at all!

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

October 30th, 2008, 4:48 am #4

A few months ago another poster got quite upset with me for signing one of my posts, "God bless", saying this wasn't the place for religious viewpoints.

Now, Julie herself is promoting political videos, albeit Annie related.

Unbelievable. I will admit, though, that the singer sounds adorable and the lyrics were well written.
Cindy:

I have no political agenda and posted the video because it involved several "Annie" alums. I'm happy to post a link to a McCain video as well, as long as the lyrics are written by Martin Charnin or someone directly involved with "Annie."

Just like any other post or spam, you always have the option not to read/watch it.

Julie

October 30th, 2008, 5:34 am #5

Check it out:

GO OBAMA-BIDEN!!!
Donna and Carol

Julie,

Thanks for sharing this video! It's really well done - that is one of my favorite songs too!

Suz

CindyS
CindyS

October 30th, 2008, 9:10 pm #6

Cindy:

I have no political agenda and posted the video because it involved several "Annie" alums. I'm happy to post a link to a McCain video as well, as long as the lyrics are written by Martin Charnin or someone directly involved with "Annie."

Just like any other post or spam, you always have the option not to read/watch it.

Julie
Thank you for responding; however, my post was not meant to offend. I was simply stating that I was blasted both on the board and in private e-mail (which is why I won't post my e-mail any more) for signing a post "God bless". At the time I didn't have any more of an agenda than you did for posting the Annie Warbuck's song.

It just bothers me that anything with a political overtone to it gets by (even if it's Annie related) while an innocent "God bless", without any reference to any particular religion gets blasted.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

October 30th, 2008, 9:24 pm #7

Cindy:

Are you saying that someone sent you a private email about your "God Bless" post? I'm sorry to hear that. I agree that this is not really the place to discuss politics or religion, but I didn't feel like I was making a political statement by posting that link. If anyone finds it offensive, I'm happy to remove it. In light of the upcoming election there have been thousands of political videos being posted and sent through email. This one was sent to me by Lauren Gaffney's mother and I thought that, since they used a song from "Annie Warbucks," some people on this site might enjoy hearing it.

Julie

french_girl
french_girl

October 30th, 2008, 9:50 pm #8

Thank you for responding; however, my post was not meant to offend. I was simply stating that I was blasted both on the board and in private e-mail (which is why I won't post my e-mail any more) for signing a post "God bless". At the time I didn't have any more of an agenda than you did for posting the Annie Warbuck's song.

It just bothers me that anything with a political overtone to it gets by (even if it's Annie related) while an innocent "God bless", without any reference to any particular religion gets blasted.

i'm surprised someone didn't like that you said God bless. how many times did members already used this in a post ? and in the States you have "in God we trust" written down on your bills, so come on! lol

nice vid btw elections are very close now

CindyS
CindyS

October 31st, 2008, 9:17 am #9

Cindy:

Are you saying that someone sent you a private email about your "God Bless" post? I'm sorry to hear that. I agree that this is not really the place to discuss politics or religion, but I didn't feel like I was making a political statement by posting that link. If anyone finds it offensive, I'm happy to remove it. In light of the upcoming election there have been thousands of political videos being posted and sent through email. This one was sent to me by Lauren Gaffney's mother and I thought that, since they used a song from "Annie Warbucks," some people on this site might enjoy hearing it.

Julie
I was definitely told in private e-mail in no uncertain terms, mind you, that my reference to religion was offensive and I should "keep my political views to myself".

Anyways, it doesn't really matter any more. Thanks for responding again and I will admit the song was funny.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

October 31st, 2008, 1:54 pm #10

You have to wonder how messed up someone has to be to be offended by "God bless." It's another way to say, "I wish you well." I'd love to understand how it can mean anything offensive, but this isn't the proper place to discuss it.

God bless CindyS.
To the rest of you, I wish you all well