OT: Voice Tips...

OT: Voice Tips...

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

March 6th, 2008, 8:44 pm #1

Hey everyone, hope you are all well. I was just thinking about voice lessons today more than ever. I really would like to take lessons, but I do not have much free time
I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips? I sing almost every day. I love it. I just wish I could strengthen my voice. My first problem is, I do not like I am singing properly. I do have a vibrato... It happens sometimes. Not often though. I really want to know how to relax and sing properly so that I will have a natural vibrato?

I hope some one on here can help me, as I know alot of you are very talented performers =]

Zaneeta
Zaneeta

March 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm #2

Well, people can correct me if I'm wrong, but vibrato is something that develops/gets stronger as you grow older and your voice matures. You really can't force a vibrato. IMO, you can cultivate and help your vibrato grow, but you can't "make" a natural vibrato. And as far as strengthening your voice, singing scales and good warm-ups every day will help to do that. When you warm up, you should stretch and make sure your body is loose so nothing is tense when you sing. I also find it is important to start with something "light" when you warm up, and then slowly work into your belt. Strengthening takes time, effort, lotsa patience, and care.
Also, you should not sing every day if you're not singing properly. Before you start singing, just work on breathing. Take in a big breath and slowly blow air out while counting to 30. This helps breath control. Make sure you don't feel any tension in your throat. Another way to relax is to form nice round vowels when warming up.
If you really feel you aren't singing properly though, you best make room in your schedule to see someone for lessons, as us on the forum can't see you when you sing so we can't always give the best advice.
Best of luck to you!

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

March 6th, 2008, 10:15 pm #3

That was some really GREAT advice. Thank you. I am considering taking lessons. I have a had a few before but it was kind of a class thing... this time I would like my own voice teacher. I will take all your advice on board too =]

March 6th, 2008, 10:46 pm #4

Hi Broadway fan,

A few more simple things you can do are:

-lip trills -- buzz your lips so they vibrate together, then "sing" scales like that
-tongue trills -- a tongue trill is basically a rolled R that is sustained - sing scales and warmups like that
-humming
-NG with an open mouth

All of those are good to see how your voice is functioning and if your vocal cords are healthy and not tired. You should be able to do lip or tongue trills very high, even if you aren't warmed up to sing that high. Humming is good for your lower range, so you don't force your voice. Singing on an NG sound with an open mouth is also good, close to a hum but keeps your larynx up.

-Breathing: take a good breath that fills your diaphragm and feels like it's going across your back. Don't raise your shoulders or stick your chest out when you breathe! A good way to practice breathing is blow ALL your air out in a "HUH" sound. Let yourself feel your body empty of air until you can't stand it anymore, then let yourself take a breath - don't force it, but take the natural breath you need! This should be a healthy, low, diaphragm breath.

-Hiss: Take a good breath, then hiss out on short "S", like this: S-S-S-S-S... see how many you can do until your breath is gone, then try again. This will help build breath control.

Those are some basic things that can help you build a foundation. I'm not a teacher, but I work on these things with my teacher!

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

March 6th, 2008, 10:50 pm #5

Im 20 now. Yeah I know, I'm abit old to start learning. lol

Thanks for all that advice =] I feel this will really help.

I think the last time I had a singing class we were doing warmups and I pulled a muscle.

March 7th, 2008, 5:00 pm #6

You are totally not too old to start taking voice lessons at 20! Not at all! Many voice teachers won't take students under 12, or 14, or 16, because they want them to be mature, and their voices to be more developed, before they start working on technique. I think it's great that you're interested in this and looking for tips.

mom
mom

March 7th, 2008, 6:41 pm #7

Grief, I just want to say how much I enjoy reading your posts. I bet people gravitate towards you because you seem like the most positive person! You certainly deserve all the good that is coming your way.

March 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm #8

I try to be a nice, genuine sort of person and all that, but I don't think people notice that about me especially, so it's nice to hear!

Zaneeta
Zaneeta

March 7th, 2008, 8:57 pm #9

That was some really GREAT advice. Thank you. I am considering taking lessons. I have a had a few before but it was kind of a class thing... this time I would like my own voice teacher. I will take all your advice on board too =]
Broadway Fan,
Glad I could help. What Grief said was also spot-on...best of luck to you!