OT: Sweeney Todd

Katarina (Norway)
Katarina (Norway)

July 10th, 2008, 2:26 pm #1

I just saw the movie version of Sweeney Todd for the first time. I didn't know this musical at all from before, and I was rather disappointed (even though I adore Johnny Depp ... Any thoughts on this musical/movie, anyone? Maybe it's better on stage?

- Katarina -

Rachel
Rachel

July 10th, 2008, 2:48 pm #2

Ahhhhhh, don't say that!

I love "Sweeney Todd"! It was a very difficult musical to follow when I saw it because it's 99% sung through, very little spoken dialogue and the production I saw (the revival with Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris) had all of the actors also serving as the orchestra so everybody was on stage all the time even if their character wasn't. But I ended up leaving the theatre so impressed, it took me awhile to even article how brilliant I thought it was. The harmonies, the counterpoint to the melodies, the typical Sondheim internal rhymes...I can listen to the cast recording everyday and still find another rhyme that I am just blown away by. "And we have some shepherd's pie peppered / With actual shepherd on top! /And I've just begun / Here's the politician, so oily / It's served with a doily / Have one! / Put it on a bun / Well, you never know if it's going to run!" That whole score is like a constant process of discovery for me.

The movie I thought was a pretty good adaptation of the show. There's a debate about whether better singers would have made it better overall but I'm not so sure I'd be willing to sacrifice the acting performances of Depp and Bonham Carter and the fact that non-singers could pull off a Sondheim score when many trained singers can't do it as a testament to their drive and talent. The problem is in theatre, the blood and gore can be very abstract but in film, it's close up and realistic and, well, Burton made it very bloody and gory. Almost too much so. But I'm not sure how he could have done it without so much blood.

sweeney addict
sweeney addict

July 10th, 2008, 5:21 pm #3

Ahhhhhhhh dont say that! DITTO!!

I am totally addicted to the movie soundtrack. I listen all the time on my ipod.
The music is beautiful and so is the movie--Bonham Carter is very hard to understand when she speaks and sings but the more you listen to the words it is amazing.
We also got the Broadway song version at the library and it is easier to understand.
We are a huge Burton fan and will always be.
Cant wait until his Alice in Wonderland.
My 12 year old daughter loves ST too but she does cover her eyes during the SHAVING part!
My mom and dad saw the tour of ST and hated it and said people were leaving the theater in Cincinnati.
But I do think that the movie and stage show are only appreciated by a few.
I agree I would take Depp and Carter over any highly trained singer.

french_girl
french_girl

July 11th, 2008, 9:48 am #4

Ahhhhhh, don't say that!

I love "Sweeney Todd"! It was a very difficult musical to follow when I saw it because it's 99% sung through, very little spoken dialogue and the production I saw (the revival with Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris) had all of the actors also serving as the orchestra so everybody was on stage all the time even if their character wasn't. But I ended up leaving the theatre so impressed, it took me awhile to even article how brilliant I thought it was. The harmonies, the counterpoint to the melodies, the typical Sondheim internal rhymes...I can listen to the cast recording everyday and still find another rhyme that I am just blown away by. "And we have some shepherd's pie peppered / With actual shepherd on top! /And I've just begun / Here's the politician, so oily / It's served with a doily / Have one! / Put it on a bun / Well, you never know if it's going to run!" That whole score is like a constant process of discovery for me.

The movie I thought was a pretty good adaptation of the show. There's a debate about whether better singers would have made it better overall but I'm not so sure I'd be willing to sacrifice the acting performances of Depp and Bonham Carter and the fact that non-singers could pull off a Sondheim score when many trained singers can't do it as a testament to their drive and talent. The problem is in theatre, the blood and gore can be very abstract but in film, it's close up and realistic and, well, Burton made it very bloody and gory. Almost too much so. But I'm not sure how he could have done it without so much blood.
i saw the same version you saw, Rachel but it was 2 years and a half ago, and i was a little bored because i didn't know the story and didn't understand the english too much (though i saw wicked a few days after and understood, so i guess sweeny todd was more difficult, maybe because it was harder to follow by watching... i mean the characters were also orchestra, so it was a bit confusing)

i saw the movie in february. i 'm not keen on it, but i liked it. i found it sometimes a little long, there were a lot of songs, but that's how the musical is. i don't really remember in details, i'd have to see it again.
after seeing it, if i remember correctly, i found that the characters could have been "developped" more... somehow you aren't touch enough by them.. i dunno.. i really have to see it again to judge. i remember liking Helena Boham Carter performance though. and visually it was great. and i downloaded "not while i'm around" afterwards, which reminded me a lot of "my best girl" from Mame