OT: Show suggestions...

OT: Show suggestions...

RLS
RLS

September 3rd, 2008, 11:32 pm #1

Hi there...

This is off-topic, I know, so Julie, I will not be offended if you delete this...

VOTE FOR ME!!

(LOL... Sorry, I just couldn't resist that, lol)

Anyway...

My friend is on the board of a local theater company and they have asked him to direct the show next summer. They are a theater dedicated to presenting quality theater to families and like to have shows with children in them.

He can't think of a good one to direct and the only ones that I can think of have been done in our area in the last few years and they are looking for something "newer". Not really newer as in copyright dates, but new to our area, that hasn't been done in a while.

Can you guys reply with and shows that you can think of that are good, that have a decent amount of childrens role, or even just a few main children but could have children in ensemble parts, and a good amount of roles for adults as well?

Here are the ones that he doesn't want to do:
Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Can you think of any that I can recommend?
Thanks!

Jessie
Jessie

September 4th, 2008, 12:00 am #2

The music man is a good one. its a classic, and i personally love that one. There are a good number of main children/teen parts along with children/teen parts that are a little smaller, like siblings and friends, and then the chorus is GREAT for kids.

The Sound of music is another one. no description necessary. = ]

jessie
jessie

September 4th, 2008, 12:03 am #3

i thought of more. haha

Olivier is a great one! there are TONS of kids along with TONS of adult roles. and as far as the kids go, its very easy for girls to play the boys, and ive actually seen the dodger played by a girl (but portraying a guy) and it worked very well. that one would be another great one to do!

Peter pan also! thats a great kids show and there are a lot of options for adults too.

hope that helps!

= ]

jessie
jessie

September 4th, 2008, 12:05 am #4

sorry for my spelling mistakes. haha I was typing really fast and didn't think to go back and check.

= ]

ok, that's enough posts from me. hehe

Rachel
Rachel

September 4th, 2008, 12:34 am #5

That's my pick. It's based on the classic children's book, has two big roles for kids (one girl for Mary and one boy for Colin) plus kids in the beginning scene in the ensemble. Plus, it's a lesser known show but it has a beautiful score.

Rachel

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

September 4th, 2008, 12:38 am #6

nmi

Suggestions
Suggestions

September 4th, 2008, 12:52 am #7

Hi there...

This is off-topic, I know, so Julie, I will not be offended if you delete this...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

My friend is on the board of a local theater company and they have asked him to direct the show next summer. They are a theater dedicated to presenting quality theater to families and like to have shows with children in them.

He can't think of a good one to direct and the only ones that I can think of have been done in our area in the last few years and they are looking for something "newer". Not really newer as in copyright dates, but new to our area, that hasn't been done in a while.

Can you guys reply with and shows that you can think of that are good, that have a decent amount of childrens role, or even just a few main children but could have children in ensemble parts, and a good amount of roles for adults as well?

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
The Little Princess or
Whistle Down the Wind

RLS
RLS

September 4th, 2008, 1:49 am #8

Hi there...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
Thanks for all your suggestions I appreciate them! If anyone have any more, please keep them coming...

dramamama
dramamama

September 4th, 2008, 2:57 am #9

Hi there...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
How about Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat? It has a children's choir and the music, with all its different styles, is great for families. Or Bye Bye Birdie or Snoopy?

JB
JB

September 4th, 2008, 3:28 am #10

Hi there...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
Meet me in St Louis has kids (Tootie,Agnes some ensemble) and it doesn't seem to be done that frequently