JB
JB

September 4th, 2008, 3:31 am #11

Oh! And A Little Princess, if it hasn't been mentioned already!

SuzyQBee
SuzyQBee

September 4th, 2008, 3:40 am #12

Hi there...

This is off-topic, I know, so Julie, I will not be offended if you delete this...

VOTE FOR ME!!

(LOL... Sorry, I just couldn't resist that, lol)

Anyway...

My friend is on the board of a local theater company and they have asked him to direct the show next summer. They are a theater dedicated to presenting quality theater to families and like to have shows with children in them.

He can't think of a good one to direct and the only ones that I can think of have been done in our area in the last few years and they are looking for something "newer". Not really newer as in copyright dates, but new to our area, that hasn't been done in a while.

Can you guys reply with and shows that you can think of that are good, that have a decent amount of childrens role, or even just a few main children but could have children in ensemble parts, and a good amount of roles for adults as well?

Here are the ones that he doesn't want to do:
Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Can you think of any that I can recommend?
Thanks!
Hi There :0) I have been researching shows to direct for a potential directing project. Since I am an Annie person, I always work with kids. So, here are ones I was considering that so far I haven't seen on your list.

Mirette (based on the children's book) - WORTH LOOKING INTO

Back to the 80's (Also worth looking into)

Schoolhouse Rock
Moby Dick! The Musical.
Little Women

Disney's classics: Alice in Wonderland, Mulan, Aristocats,101 Dalmations, Sleeping Beauty. Jungle Book, Cinderella and Aladdin. (all start with "Disneys"

Jane Eyre (Has great parts for adults and kids)
High School Musical or High School Musical - One Act Edition

Godspell Jr.
Bugsy Malone / Bugsy Malone, Jr.
A Year With Frog and Toad
Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Fiddler on the Roof / Fiddler on the Roof, Jr.
Doctor Doolittle
Parade .
Willy Wonka
(I know he said not Annie, but what about Annie Warbucks?)

You can look up those musicals and their casting/availability info at: http://www.mtishows.com/default_home.asp

Good Luck! Sounds fun!!

RLS
RLS

September 4th, 2008, 3:59 am #13

I suggested Annie Warbucks as it has never been done around here and I think it has good music... Not thinking that he'll go with it though, lol...

And HSM has been done to OVERKILL around here!

Thanks for sharing that list, I will pass that on for sure...

Keep them coming because if I don't find him one he likes he's going to do Urinetown. lol

Jessie
Jessie

September 4th, 2008, 4:08 am #14

if it does come to that, urine town is a GREAT musical. i thought it would be really weird, but i REALLY enjoyed it when i saw it. so if he does choose that one, dont worry! its really good!

SuzyQBee
SuzyQBee

September 4th, 2008, 4:29 am #15

Yeah, I agree! Actually as reluctant as I was to being involved with Urinetown, the show has good and fun music to sing. If he is going to use kids and youth, that would be great. The songs are catchy and interesting. There are other shows that I rate above this, but at the same time - as a different show to do, it's great. (I agree with HSM gag! LOL, I immediately ditched that idea, even tho it hasn't been done, it's not one of my fave shows.) --- Annie Warbucks was one of my all-time favorite shows to be in. It's too bad that there aren't many folks who give that show a chance.

Anyhow...uhm... I'm trying to rack my brain but am at a dead end at the moment. lol

Glad the list helps some.

Suzy

SuzyQBee
SuzyQBee

September 4th, 2008, 4:37 am #16

oh... I've also seen these productions done with some excellent kids playing all the roles:

L'il Abner
Little Johnny Jones
Good News
Drood (The Mystery of Edwin Drood)
No No Nanette
Working
The Roar of the Greasepaint the Smell of the Crowd
Stop the World, I Want to Get Off

And my brain can't think of anymore lol. But, you can find those musicals at Tams-Witmark. Their contact info is:

http://www.tams-witmark.com/musical.html#b

:0) Suzanne

Denver
Denver

September 4th, 2008, 5:09 am #17

Hi there...

This is off-topic, I know, so Julie, I will not be offended if you delete this...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

My friend is on the board of a local theater company and they have asked him to direct the show next summer. They are a theater dedicated to presenting quality theater to families and like to have shows with children in them.

He can't think of a good one to direct and the only ones that I can think of have been done in our area in the last few years and they are looking for something "newer". Not really newer as in copyright dates, but new to our area, that hasn't been done in a while.

Can you guys reply with and shows that you can think of that are good, that have a decent amount of childrens role, or even just a few main children but could have children in ensemble parts, and a good amount of roles for adults as well?

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
The King & I
Will Rogers Follies
Annie Get Your Gun

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

September 4th, 2008, 11:04 am #18

Hi there...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
In case these have not been mentioned yet:

The King and I
The Wizard of Oz
Bye, Bye Birdie
The Music Man
The Sound of Music

Abbe
Abbe

September 4th, 2008, 11:51 am #19

Hi there...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
We just did Willy Wonka Junior and had a lot of fun with it. There are lots of featured roles for kids and it's a crowd pleaser. We have also done Godspell and Once on this Island and those were fun too. You might also want to look at Beauty and the Beast.

KellyTx
KellyTx

September 4th, 2008, 6:07 pm #20

Hi there...

VOTE FOR ME!!

Anyway...

Honk
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Annie
Seussical

Thanks!
I really like Big The Musical, based on the movie. It has a pretty big kids chorus, a few main kid roles and a few adult roles. It's a lot of fun!