OT Secret Garden

OT Secret Garden

Meghan
Meghan

October 22nd, 2008, 2:17 am #1

Hi everyone. My turn to ask for some advice.

My theatre conservatory is doing The Secret Garden in december and auditions are soon. Im incredible excited as our Archibald will be played by Eric Kunze (Les Mis and Damn Yankees Bway, nat tour of Whistle down the wind, and JC superstar among many other impressive credits.)and many of the adult roles in the show will also be playe by professional equity actors, and we will be performing at the Orange County Performing Arts Center, where all the national tours and proffessinonal companies perform. To me its quite a big deal and is very exciting.

Anyways, I would really like to play Mary Lennox. Even though I am 17, i am barely 5 feet tall, and am very young looking. I am having trouble thinking of what i'd like to sing to audition, as i ussually sing things that are loud and belty wich is not really the style of the the show. Any suggestions of something younger and more classical sounding that would be appropriate to audition for mary with? I know her songs from the show, but i need something from another show. I'm sure i can come up with something on my own, but i'd totally appreciate your suggestions as well. Thanks,

Meghan

October 22nd, 2008, 2:57 am #2

I once sang an audition for Mary Lennox and I used "Happiness" from YAGMCB. (I got the idea from the version on the Broadway Kids CD, which is very head-voice light and sweet sounding, NOT the Broadway revival version.)

People might suggest "Castle on a Cloud," but I'd stay away from it because it's so overdone.

I believe there's a song from Gigi, "The Earth and Other Things," or something like that -- can't remember the exact title. It might be the right kind of piece you need.

Do you sing soprano? If you do, you could look at the Hansel and Gretel duet from the opera (!!!) by Humperdinck. The melody line is beautiful and sweet and young, but only if you are comfortable in a soprano range.

I'll post again if I think of any more.

Meghan
Meghan

October 22nd, 2008, 3:54 am #3

thanks greif!
yes, i do sing soprano, where would one go about finding that sheet music for hansel and gretl? its sounds interesting. I'll also look into the song from Gigi, i think I've heard it before. I do know Happiness as well so thats always an option too. I wouldnt have sung castle on a cloud anyways, too overdone, and too young for me.
Thanks for all your advice, your awesome!

Meghan

Meghan
Meghan

October 22nd, 2008, 4:01 am #4

I once sang an audition for Mary Lennox and I used "Happiness" from YAGMCB. (I got the idea from the version on the Broadway Kids CD, which is very head-voice light and sweet sounding, NOT the Broadway revival version.)

People might suggest "Castle on a Cloud," but I'd stay away from it because it's so overdone.

I believe there's a song from Gigi, "The Earth and Other Things," or something like that -- can't remember the exact title. It might be the right kind of piece you need.

Do you sing soprano? If you do, you could look at the Hansel and Gretel duet from the opera (!!!) by Humperdinck. The melody line is beautiful and sweet and young, but only if you are comfortable in a soprano range.

I'll post again if I think of any more.
Thank you for the suggestion of the song "The Earth and Other Minor Things" from Gigi. Regardless of if i decide on it for this audition, its really a great song to add to my repetoire as i dont have anything like it and i'm always looking for peices that show off a different aspect of my voice, in this case more legit soprano rather than belt. I just wanted to say thanks, im glad to have found that!

JB
JB

October 22nd, 2008, 5:37 am #5

My theatre conservatory is doing The Secret Garden in december and auditions are soon. Im incredible excited as our Archibald will be played by Eric Kunze (Les Mis and Damn Yankees Bway, nat tour of Whistle down the wind, and JC superstar among many other impressive credits.)and many of the adult roles in the show will also be playe by professional equity actors, and we will be performing at the Orange County Performing Arts Center, where all the national tours and proffessinonal companies perform. To me its quite a big deal and is very exciting.

Anyways, I would really like to play Mary Lennox. Even though I am 17, i am barely 5 feet tall, and am very young looking. I am having trouble thinking of what i'd like to sing to audition, as i ussually sing things that are loud and belty wich is not really the style of the the show. Any suggestions of something younger and more classical sounding that would be appropriate to audition for mary with? I know her songs from the show, but i need something from another show. I'm sure i can come up with something on my own, but i'd totally appreciate your suggestions as well. Thanks,

Meghan
Have you looked into songs from the other Secret Garden musical? I think it's a British one that existed before the Broadway one? There's some beautiful music in there...um, there's this really pretty song I think it's called "An Unkind Word" or "The Sound of an Unkind Word". It comes from this old Hanna Barbara Heidi cartoon. So beautiful and very appropriate for Mary. Hope that helped!

October 22nd, 2008, 8:40 am #6

Hi Meghan... I'm still thinking...

October 22nd, 2008, 12:50 pm #7

thanks greif!
yes, i do sing soprano, where would one go about finding that sheet music for hansel and gretl? its sounds interesting. I'll also look into the song from Gigi, i think I've heard it before. I do know Happiness as well so thats always an option too. I wouldnt have sung castle on a cloud anyways, too overdone, and too young for me.
Thanks for all your advice, your awesome!

Meghan
Hi Meghan,

Here is a link to a version of the song from Hansel and Gretel, as a solo.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp ... em-_-Title

Edited because I can't think this early.
Last edited by -Grief- on October 22nd, 2008, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim Ryan
Kim Ryan

October 22nd, 2008, 5:56 pm #8

Meghan
How about, "Hushabye Mountain" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? It's British, so it gives you a good excuse to show off a British accent. It also can show off your range. I think the words can work for any age girl singing it and the "mood" of the song fits the feelings that Mary might have.

All the best to you!
Kim

Meghan
Meghan

October 22nd, 2008, 8:15 pm #9

Hi Meghan,

Here is a link to a version of the song from Hansel and Gretel, as a solo.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp ... em-_-Title

Edited because I can't think this early.
Thats funny, i totally already know that song. I dont remember what from, maybe choir, but it must have been a long time ago. It was strange to look it up and then realize I already knew it.

thanks

Meghan

Noel
Noel

October 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am #10

How about, "Hushabye Mountain" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? It's British, so it gives you a good excuse to show off a British accent. It also can show off your range. I think the words can work for any age girl singing it and the "mood" of the song fits the feelings that Mary might have.

All the best to you!
Kim
Say "Hi" to "The Fam" for me!