OT: Pepsi needs some help :O)

OT: Pepsi needs some help :O)

RLS
RLS

June 4th, 2008, 9:49 pm #1

Hi guys...

I'm calling on my "annieorphan family" as my daughter calls you...

Several months ago my daughter auditioned for an Equity theater an hour or so from our home. We hadn't heard anything, so we kinda forgot about it. But I recieved a phone call this evening from the theater that the director remembered her and wanted her to go back this Saturday for another audition. She is THRILLED about the opprotunity, but there is just one problem... She needs to perform a monolouge with a SOUTHERN accent. I am no actress by any means, so I am of no help to her. She has a mean english accent, but I have no idea how to help her with a southern one. The good thing is, if she hears a good one, she would be able to pick it up like that...

Do any of you know of anywhere online that she might be able to hear one or that givs a brief "tutorial" on how to speak with a southern accent? OMG, this is like a really rediculous request, but I really don't know who else to turn to, lol....

Do you have any ideas? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :O)

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 4th, 2008, 10:12 pm #2

Try renting:

"Fried Green Tomatoes"

"Steel Magnolias"

"Member of the Wedding" (I'm pretty sure it takes place in the South)

"Gone With The Wind"

"Sweet Home Alabama"

Your daughter's accent does not need to be heavy, just a hint on certain words will do. If she gets the part, they will likely hire a dialect coach so that everyone in the cast has the SAME accent.

Julie

June 4th, 2008, 10:25 pm #3

Hi guys...

Several months ago my daughter auditioned for an Equity theater an hour or so from our home. We hadn't heard anything, so we kinda forgot about it. But I recieved a phone call this evening from the theater that the director remembered her and wanted her to go back this Saturday for another audition. She is THRILLED about the opprotunity, but there is just one problem... She needs to perform a monolouge with a SOUTHERN accent. I am no actress by any means, so I am of no help to her. She has a mean english accent, but I have no idea how to help her with a southern one. The good thing is, if she hears a good one, she would be able to pick it up like that...

Do any of you know of anywhere online that she might be able to hear one or that givs a brief "tutorial" on how to speak with a southern accent? OMG, this is like a really rediculous request, but I really don't know who else to turn to, lol....

Here's what I've found on YouTube. Of course, I've no idea if they're genuine accents since I'm not even American! Pleas make sure you check the content before your daughter watches them, I didn't watch them to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrQRx1a ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGTP2j2T6e8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6BSSwzI1mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRewfUB ... re=related

Just a random selction, there are a lot apparently.

Fantastic5
Fantastic5

June 4th, 2008, 10:39 pm #4

Hi guys...

I'm not an expert either, but what about something from the musical Oklahoma? Good Luck!

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

June 4th, 2008, 10:52 pm #5

My Mom is from Kentuky, and since she taught me how to talk, I've had a lot of people ask me if I used to live in the south myself. A friend of mine said she used to think that because sometimes I would "talk slow." After I got over the initial insult, she explained that I would draw out my vowels and always seemed tired.

You might also try to find Coal Miner's Daughter to rent. They used actual locals in many of those scenes, so it's authentic. Find youtube videos of interviews with Kelly Pickler and Carrie Underwood too.

I think Julie's advice that she doesn't have to have a strong accent is very sound. My guess is right now they're just trying to see who has the ability to pick up the accent properly.

Tell her to break a leg!

Fantastic5
Fantastic5

June 4th, 2008, 11:02 pm #6

Hi guys...

I just put in "Oklahoma play" in the youtube search and a bunch of video clips from the show came up. The best ones were posted by JenksShowChoir. There are some singing and some dialog. Have fun!

old fan
old fan

June 4th, 2008, 11:17 pm #7

Hi guys...

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html, then click the link for the glossary. Might help, and is kinda fun !

Laura
Laura

June 4th, 2008, 11:49 pm #8

Hi guys...

the videos that were posted number one. being from georgia there are many different dialects, and also it depends the monolouge also.

Noel
Noel

June 5th, 2008, 3:27 am #9

Hi guys...

That is very cool that she got called and I know her audition will be excellent!

You are doing a great job raising that little sparkling beverage of yours Mom!

another mom
another mom

June 5th, 2008, 3:39 am #10

Hi guys...

http://accent.gmu.edu/

Also, there are many different southern accents so it would help to know where the character is from. Kentucky, Texas, Tn, Ms, AL, Georgia, Carolinas, ect all have different accents. Also, in most southern states those raised in the country will have thicker accents than those raised in the city. Julie's suggestion is good. Just adding a slight southern accent on certain words will probably be enough. Another movie to look at is "To Kill A Mockingbird." The kids who played Jen & Scout are actually from Alabama so their accents were real, although the story doesn't take place in AL so they may have altered their speech a little. In "Fried Green Tomatoes" the little girl that played young Iggy was also from AL so has a true accent.