OT for Julie - Universal fire

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

June 1st, 2008, 5:20 pm #1

Hey Julie,
What's the word out there on that big fire? Do they know if it was started while they were shooting something? Anyone hurt? The news out online is only mentioning property.
I hope they evacuated everyone ok. Let us know if you here anything locally.
Thanks

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 1st, 2008, 7:55 pm #2

It was at Universal Studio on the backlot. The New York street was completely ruined and so was a video storage building. I'm pretty sure that's about it, but the damage is pretty bad. It did not affect the theme park because that is on the other end of the property.

The smoke and ash is pretty awful.

Julie

Noel
Noel

June 2nd, 2008, 3:42 am #3

Hey Julie,
What's the word out there on that big fire? Do they know if it was started while they were shooting something? Anyone hurt? The news out online is only mentioning property.
I hope they evacuated everyone ok. Let us know if you here anything locally.
Thanks
My Husband and I did the Movinglights programming for the King Kong attraction which I hear has been destroyed. The point of mentioning this was when we were there working every time we would make programming changes we would have them run the whole sequence so we could see the changes and then we would make new changes and then they would run the sequence again. Which by the way was really LOUD!

A little while into the programming I thought that I smelled Bananas but didn't say anything because I thought I was imagining the whole thing. Months later someone mentioned the King Kong attraction and something about the Banana scent that gets sprayed out, and I finally said that I thought I smelled Bananas when we were there but didn't say anything and my Husband spoke up and said he thought he smelled it as well but like me thought he was imagining it so he didn't say anything either. We had a good laugh over it and it's always been our little bit of the King Kong attraction history. And although it is now gone we will always have our memories.

Meghan
Meghan

June 2nd, 2008, 4:11 am #4

Is this the King Kong thing that you go thru on the backlot tour thingy? I can remember being sooooo terrified of that when i was younger, and we'd go thru it and i'd be screaming and my older brother would laugh hysterically. I havent been there in a while though. Thats really cool that you guys did the lights though. So sad that it was burned down. : (

Noel
Noel

June 2nd, 2008, 5:08 am #5

That's the one! I can imagine you were terrified as it was scary and loud and rather upsetting to me even as an adult while doing the lights. I guess that's suppose to be the point, but still even though I knew what was coming, it was quite an unpleasant experience every time it ran.

Meghan
Meghan

June 2nd, 2008, 6:00 am #6

It WAS scary! actually i can remember being terrified of practically that entire tour. Like Jaws and the flash flood. and also, wasnt there something to do with an earthquake? \

this is so completely OT...lol

Lisa
Lisa

June 2nd, 2008, 7:19 pm #7

King Kong was great