OT - David Archuleta's stage dad

OT - David Archuleta's stage dad

Rachel
Rachel

May 10th, 2008, 1:40 pm #1

Awhile back we were talking about stage parents and David Archuleta (one of the final three on this year's "Idol") came up. Apparently Naomi Judd (who judged him on "Star Search") said in an interview that he was the worst stage parent she'd ever encountered. I guess where there's smoke there's fire because:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Rachel

Lara
Lara

May 10th, 2008, 2:41 pm #2

Control freak

Anothermom
Anothermom

May 10th, 2008, 3:12 pm #3

Awhile back we were talking about stage parents and David Archuleta (one of the final three on this year's "Idol") came up. Apparently Naomi Judd (who judged him on "Star Search") said in an interview that he was the worst stage parent she'd ever encountered. I guess where there's smoke there's fire because:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Rachel
The truth is that without stage moms and dads, some of these kids would still be singing with hair brushes in front of their bedroom mirrors instead of performing on television and stages. While some people call David's dad the "worst" stage dad, I think he might be the "best." It's all how you look at it. And it looks like little David is going pretty darn far.

Rachel
Rachel

May 10th, 2008, 4:22 pm #4

Have you watched "Idol" at all this year? The kid can't form a coherent sentence and his popularity has been overtaken by David Cook's because he is a 17 year old singing old-fashioned ballads every single week. He hasn't made any of his own song choices, arrangements, etc. At this point, I feel like he would have had a better chance of winning if left to his own devices, able to pick stuff that he likes more, able to learn to communicate better in interviews, etc. There is absolutely no way he will win now because "Idol" does not want to work with his father and would be forced to at least until he turns 18 in December. He ruined his chances, not helped him.

His father was kicked out of the show because he cost "Idol" money by forcing his kid to sing lines from a song that "Idol" did not have clearance to. He was repeatedly terrorizing the other contestants. How is that to the benefit of his kid? Jordin Sparks was the same age last year and won the thing outright. "Idol" has had plenty of young kids before - Jordin, Diana DeGarmo, etc. - and they all managed to do very well without getting their parents kicked out of the show.

Rachel

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 10th, 2008, 6:18 pm #5

The truth is that without stage moms and dads, some of these kids would still be singing with hair brushes in front of their bedroom mirrors instead of performing on television and stages. While some people call David's dad the "worst" stage dad, I think he might be the "best." It's all how you look at it. And it looks like little David is going pretty darn far.
I think this is a very dangerous attitude to take because what you fail to acknowledge is how the kid feels. All parents think that they are doing what's best for their child but how many really take the time to ask the child what he/she wants or feels? Being a pushy stage parent in show business will only ruin a career, not make one. Take a look at Macauly Culkin and his father. Does Macauly seem happy today? Is he the big star his father predicted? Take a look at how resentful Brooke Shields is of her mother. Both of these parents, by the way, had show biz aspirations for themselves, like Jeff Archuletta. I think some parents need to go into therapy and resolve their unfulfilled childhood dreams before they have children. It can be so harmful to the children who only want to please their parents and try to win their love and approval. When show biz is hard enough as it is, why would parents put their children in a position to have to win THEIR love as well?

I agree with Rachel that there is a strong chance that David Archuletta will not win because no one will want to work with his father. What a horrible burden to put on your child. If any of you saw the final 3 episodes of "I Think My Kid's a Star," the same problem happened with two of the more talented kids - their mothers totally sabotaged it for them by behaving like bratty, mentally unstable women.

Julie

LSM
LSM

May 10th, 2008, 9:31 pm #6

I know both Brooke and Macauly. Brooke is actually very close to her mom. I have known brooke since about 1984 and they have always had a close relationship. Her mom was very over protective, but they were very close.

old fan
old fan

May 10th, 2008, 9:40 pm #7

I read Down Came the Rain, and it revealed a lot about about her relationship with her mom, both the positive and negative. I got the feeling she loved her, but felt she made too many decisions for her, and it took her a long time, even as an adult, to be able to make her own decisions without her mom's approval, regarding everything from what food to eat, to caring for her baby, let alone career decisions. Brooke sounds like a cool person- that's nice you know her personally.

NYCMom
NYCMom

May 10th, 2008, 9:41 pm #8

I think this is a very dangerous attitude to take because what you fail to acknowledge is how the kid feels. All parents think that they are doing what's best for their child but how many really take the time to ask the child what he/she wants or feels? Being a pushy stage parent in show business will only ruin a career, not make one. Take a look at Macauly Culkin and his father. Does Macauly seem happy today? Is he the big star his father predicted? Take a look at how resentful Brooke Shields is of her mother. Both of these parents, by the way, had show biz aspirations for themselves, like Jeff Archuletta. I think some parents need to go into therapy and resolve their unfulfilled childhood dreams before they have children. It can be so harmful to the children who only want to please their parents and try to win their love and approval. When show biz is hard enough as it is, why would parents put their children in a position to have to win THEIR love as well?

I agree with Rachel that there is a strong chance that David Archuletta will not win because no one will want to work with his father. What a horrible burden to put on your child. If any of you saw the final 3 episodes of "I Think My Kid's a Star," the same problem happened with two of the more talented kids - their mothers totally sabotaged it for them by behaving like bratty, mentally unstable women.

Julie
Agree. Kids that should be performing, will, for the most part. But you would really not believe the actual number of parents pushing kids beyond their limits, including those kids that really love performing. I know many parents that take their kids to every single audition that comes up. If it calls for kids, they are going, whether the kids are or would actually be interested in the production or not! It's scary what you see at these auditions. Huge difference between support/encourage and smother/control.

Rachel
Rachel

May 11th, 2008, 11:51 pm #9

Julie
The Archuleta parents filed for divorce years ago and the marriage was "saved" when David won six figures from winning "Star Search." A few weeks ago, the divorce papers were leaked to the media and Jeff got everything - custody, the house, the car, etc. When David won "Star Search," they retracted the divorce filings, bought a $735,000 house in Utah and now they're still married.

Naomi Judd was on "Today" a couple of weeks ago promoting her new reality show and when asked if she watches "Idol," she said she doesn't but has known David Archuleta since he was a kid on "Star Search" (she was one of the judges) and, completely unprovoked, said she wanted to give a shout out to his dad to leave him alone because he had to be held in the security booth at "Star Search" as he got to be so disruptive. She said on the red carpet of the CMAs that he was the worst stage parent she'd ever encountered, and this is a woman whose own mother was a bit of a stage mom.

Rachel

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 12th, 2008, 12:47 am #10

Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. Thanks for digging that out, Rachel. It's really sad and I hope that David has some of his winnings saved to pay for college. If he was really smart, he'd wait to sign any record deals until he's 18 years old, so his parents won't be able to touch it.

Julie