K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 12th, 2008, 2:24 am #11

The truth is that without stage moms and dads, some of these kids would still be singing with hair brushes in front of their bedroom mirrors instead of performing on television and stages. While some people call David's dad the "worst" stage dad, I think he might be the "best." It's all how you look at it. And it looks like little David is going pretty darn far.
Wow. I don't know the details but if the rumors I've heard are true, this isn't about encouraging your child to perform and helping them achieve their dream. This is about out-and-out abuse; verbal and emotional.
I'm sorry but the end does not justify the means.

As I said in an earlier post (under Lena); the sad fact is that those parents who read this forum, who are stage parents, won't see that what they do is wrong. It's excuses like yours that perpetuate abuse of children. And yes, it's abuse to yell at your child, belittle him or her and make him/her feel like they're nothing unless they bring the parent glory.

curious
curious

May 12th, 2008, 4:27 am #12

The Archuleta parents filed for divorce years ago and the marriage was "saved" when David won six figures from winning "Star Search." A few weeks ago, the divorce papers were leaked to the media and Jeff got everything - custody, the house, the car, etc. When David won "Star Search," they retracted the divorce filings, bought a $735,000 house in Utah and now they're still married.

Naomi Judd was on "Today" a couple of weeks ago promoting her new reality show and when asked if she watches "Idol," she said she doesn't but has known David Archuleta since he was a kid on "Star Search" (she was one of the judges) and, completely unprovoked, said she wanted to give a shout out to his dad to leave him alone because he had to be held in the security booth at "Star Search" as he got to be so disruptive. She said on the red carpet of the CMAs that he was the worst stage parent she'd ever encountered, and this is a woman whose own mother was a bit of a stage mom.

Rachel
Did David win?
I thought Tiffany Evans won?
Actually I heard somewhere that it was down to the two of them and David's dad was caught harrassing Tiffany the night before the finals - saying things like "you stink and you are going to lose and my son is so much better than you, etc..." and then they banned him from the area.
Then supposedly she won after all.

Julie
Julie

May 12th, 2008, 6:27 am #13

Awhile back we were talking about stage parents and David Archuleta (one of the final three on this year's "Idol") came up. Apparently Naomi Judd (who judged him on "Star Search") said in an interview that he was the worst stage parent she'd ever encountered. I guess where there's smoke there's fire because:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Rachel
Wow, he was a decent singer way back on his first reality show competition. Kinda spooky to see the same shot of his Dad mouthing his lyrics in the audience as we see on "American Idol," with the exception of his mom, who seems to be currently missing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Anothermom
Anothermom

May 12th, 2008, 12:33 pm #14

I take back what I said about David's dad. I had no idea he was so bad. I just thought he did a good job getting him into the spotlight and picking the right songs for him to sing. But, you guys are right. I was totally WRONG!

Rachel
Rachel

May 12th, 2008, 2:17 pm #15

Did David win?
I thought Tiffany Evans won?
Actually I heard somewhere that it was down to the two of them and David's dad was caught harrassing Tiffany the night before the finals - saying things like "you stink and you are going to lose and my son is so much better than you, etc..." and then they banned him from the area.
Then supposedly she won after all.
Tiffany Evans was the grand champion (or whatever they call it) but David won several weeks in a row too. Basically, they both won several weeks and then they faced each other in the finale with Tiffany winning. David still collected a lot of money from the weeks he did win though.

Rachel

Vickie
Vickie

May 12th, 2008, 3:13 pm #16

Awhile back we were talking about stage parents and David Archuleta (one of the final three on this year's "Idol") came up. Apparently Naomi Judd (who judged him on "Star Search") said in an interview that he was the worst stage parent she'd ever encountered. I guess where there's smoke there's fire because:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Rachel
Or does anyone else think that David's voice is very "muddy". Sometimes it's hard to understand what he's singing, and the "breathing thing" is a little weird. I think he's an adorable kid, but something about his voice bugs me.

May 12th, 2008, 5:18 pm #17

I hadn't watched any videos of him on American Idol up to now so I hadn't realized it was the same boy as the one I had seen on the Star Search videos a few years ago. I really didn't like his "breathing sounds" then, it really annoyed me and from the videos I've now watched of him on American Idol, he still has that problem, which I find very distracting.