OT but I need info on Boston

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

April 12th, 2008, 1:35 pm #1

Julie I hope this is an OK post.

My boss is going to Boston in August and asked me to find some fun things for he and his SO to do. He wants all the stuff you don't find in the guidebooks.

I seem to remember some people on here are from the area?

Any suggestions for things the local would know about but not the guidebooks would be appreciated.

Thanks!

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

April 12th, 2008, 1:37 pm #2

Do you want theater stuff or just anything?

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

April 12th, 2008, 1:37 pm #3

Oh, and how old is the son?

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

April 12th, 2008, 2:13 pm #4

SO for Significant Other. It's two adults and they're not really big theatre goers. Any places you can suggest would be appreciated. It will be summer so places where they can be outside would be great.

old fan
old fan

April 12th, 2008, 2:33 pm #5

...Rockport and Gloucester, MA are two small adjoining seaside towns a short drive from Boston, combining New England history, terrific boutiques, local art/music etc and lovely beaches, great seafood. You can also take boat tours that give you the history of the area.

Also Rhode Island is in driving distance, again great beaches and fun places/historic sites, and the famous Black Pearl Restaurant in Newport. Depending on how long they are staying, there are also Martha's Vineyard (famous Black Dog Tavern- gotta ask them to get you a Tee shirt !) and Nantucket, beautiful New England islands, a ferry ride away. Cape Cod would be a bit crowded then.

The tour books will take care of Boston !

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

April 12th, 2008, 2:53 pm #6

They will be there four days so I appreciate the info!

old fan
old fan

April 12th, 2008, 2:59 pm #7

...since it will be a short stay, I would suggest 3 days in Boston and a day trip to Rockport/Gloucester . Too bad you're not joining them !

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

April 12th, 2008, 3:34 pm #8

SO for Significant Other. It's two adults and they're not really big theatre goers. Any places you can suggest would be appreciated. It will be summer so places where they can be outside would be great.
LOL I read it quickly and thought it said 'son'. Sorry about that!

There are fun tourist-y things to do in Boston proper. The duck boats. The Freedom Trail (historical tour), which is a walking tour. The Isabella Gardner Stewart Museum. Coply Place is a nice area to shop. The Museaum of Fine Arts. All this is accessible by public transportation called "The T".

Restaurants are aplenty. Check out The North End for GREAT Italian food. Do not drive there, though! LOL There is nowhere to park but again, you can get there by T.

The South End, next to Copley Place is also known for their restaurants.

They could go to the top of the Prudential or Hancock for a nightime view of the city. I think the restaurant is on top of the Pru but you can go to the observatory of either building. I'm pretty sure that's back up and running. I know they closed it after 9/11.

Go to www.boston.com and they'll find lots of touristy/non-touristy things to do.

Old Fan mentioned Rhode Island. If they drive down to Newport (two/three hours from Boston?) they could go to the mansions. Just do a search on Newport Mansions and you'll know what I mean

Hope this helps!

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

April 12th, 2008, 3:40 pm #9

This is great!

bosox fan
bosox fan

April 12th, 2008, 8:08 pm #10

catch a Red Sox game at Fenway!