OT: Broadway Musicals

OT: Broadway Musicals

RLS
RLS

September 8th, 2008, 2:27 am #1

Okay all you Broadway fans...

I love watching theater and it has become a new passion for me since my daughter loves it so much, but she's only been at this for the last several years. I really had no exposure to Broadway or anything theatrical prior to my daughter....

So, here is my question.... What would be considered a LEGIT broadway musical? There is a theater here that is auditioning and they ask for 16 bars of a legit broadway musical. Would this apply to Fanny?

Thanks for your help!

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

September 8th, 2008, 4:33 am #2

"Fanny" is a pretty old musical, so it would qualify as "legit." To me, legit means non-contemporary, or not of this decade. NOT "Wicked" or "Legally Blonde" or even "Rent" - nothing pop sounding. You should stick to composers like Rogers & Hammerstein, Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Rogers & Hart, Jule Styne, etc...Think of all of the musicals that were made into movies by MGM Studios.

What song were you thinking of from "Fanny"? Is the audition for a particular show or a theatre season? I usually choose my audition song based on the show and role I think I'm right for.

Julie

RLS
RLS

September 8th, 2008, 4:59 am #3

Hi Julie... I emailed you.

Jessica
Jessica

September 8th, 2008, 1:12 pm #4

I'm pretty sure I know which song from Fanny your daughter would be using... it was my standard audition song as a kid and it's a GREAT choice- even when I wasn't cast, I almost always got compliments on my choice and performance of that song.

RLS
RLS

September 11th, 2008, 3:32 am #5

Okay all you Broadway fans...

I love watching theater and it has become a new passion for me since my daughter loves it so much, but she's only been at this for the last several years. I really had no exposure to Broadway or anything theatrical prior to my daughter....

So, here is my question.... What would be considered a LEGIT broadway musical? There is a theater here that is auditioning and they ask for 16 bars of a legit broadway musical. Would this apply to Fanny?

Thanks for your help!
Hi there guys... Thanks for the advice here... When we got to the audition, they ended up just having the kids sing 2 songs from the show....

We got the news today... My daughter was cast in the role of TOOTIE in "Meet Me in St Louis"! She is thrilled! :O) Just wanted to share the outcome with you....

SuzyQBee
SuzyQBee

September 11th, 2008, 5:19 am #6

NMI

Meghan
Meghan

September 11th, 2008, 5:38 am #7

Hi there guys... Thanks for the advice here... When we got to the audition, they ended up just having the kids sing 2 songs from the show....

We got the news today... My daughter was cast in the role of TOOTIE in "Meet Me in St Louis"! She is thrilled! :O) Just wanted to share the outcome with you....
hooray for pepsi/gabi/ellie! Great for her.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

September 11th, 2008, 12:22 pm #8

How exciting. Congrats to your daughter.

Julie

Noel
Noel

September 11th, 2008, 9:19 pm #9

Yea! Good job! Thanks RLS for updating us on your and Pepsi's adventures in auditioning and the parts she books! You two make an awesome team and I look forward to your updates during her rehearsals and shows!

September 11th, 2008, 10:35 pm #10

nmi