OT: Billy Elliot

Natalie
Natalie

December 7th, 2008, 12:32 am #1

FYI, Finding Billy Elliot is on PBS now. I'm not sure if it's a repeat.

December 7th, 2008, 12:40 am #2

I'm trying to see if my parents can tape it in CA, but it doesn't seem to be on out there.

Natalie
Natalie

December 7th, 2008, 2:49 am #3

Sorry I didn't get back to you fast enough. Yes, it was on on the east coast. I'm in NYC. The documentary was really interesting, with a lot of footage and in depth detail. I also spotted Casey Whyland from the Annie tour a few times. Those boys are amazing dancers.

Denver
Denver

December 7th, 2008, 3:38 am #4

After finding out that our local PBS station is not airing "Finding Billy", I did a search and came across these videos posted; not sure if it the exact program playing, but they are worth watching.

(We have a friend who booked the show as the tall boy/Michael understudy, it is great fun seeing him in the videos!)

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/findi ... /698006677

Natalie
Natalie

December 7th, 2008, 5:21 am #5

Yes, that is the same program.

December 7th, 2008, 9:26 am #6

After finding out that our local PBS station is not airing "Finding Billy", I did a search and came across these videos posted; not sure if it the exact program playing, but they are worth watching.

(We have a friend who booked the show as the tall boy/Michael understudy, it is great fun seeing him in the videos!)

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/findi ... /698006677
I didn't have anything special to do this morning, I really enjoyed watching it!

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 8th, 2008, 12:33 am #7

I watched the entire "Billy Elliot" documentary and was astounded by the talent. It was amazing to see the 15 finalists in the 10-day workshop, learning how to tap, do ballet and sing. These were kids from all over the country and most of them had no professional experience. Many of them were trained dancers, but only in one discipline. The three boys who got the role all had to learn two to three new skills in the process.

In my opinion, it puts any performer who is less dedicated than that to shame. All of our conversations about the various casts of "Annie" and the areas of talent that are lacking in the girls are kind of embarrassing, in comparison to "Billy Elliot." It just goes to show that you can find kids who don't have professional experience but do have the dedication and training. In my opinion, any young performer who wants to do theatre should be in dance and voice class. By the time they get to an "Annie" audition, they should at least know how to do the time step and learn a simple dance routine. If those boys at the "Billy Elliot" audition could learn how to tap in less than 10 days or learn ballet if they only were trained in Irish dancing, that raises the bar for all children who want to perform.

If you don't want to take the time or effort to train and practice, then you should stick to community theatre or do it as a hobby. Watching these kids in "Billy Elliot" should be inspiring to any young performer.

Julie

Meghan
Meghan

December 8th, 2008, 2:46 am #8

I always feel that way, when kids my age are like, "oh, im getting an agent", or "I'm trying out for the disney channel" or, "I wanna be on Broadway", and I'm just like NO. you arent. You have zero training, and you dont know a thing about this bussiness. start taking dance class, voice lessons, acting classes, take the time and effort required to be a good performer. You can't just decide to do this on a whim and expect to be good at it. People will say "Oh, you just think your better than me because you've had so much training and have been doing this for so long". And inside i am just thinking, "Yes! I do think that! And i AM better than you because of the training and time I have spent doing this." You wouldnt tryout for major league baseball if you've never hit a ball in your life, and (IMHO) you shouldnt audition for professional theater if you've never learned how to perform.

I am sure this sounds catty and pretentious, but thats how i feel. honestly.

oh, and the billy elliot boys are incredible. i wanna be best freinds with all of them just in case some of that skill will rub off on me.
(i almost said "date" all of them, but then i thought that would be kinda creepy, even though they're only like 3 years younger then me)
lol.

Meghan
Meghan

December 8th, 2008, 2:53 am #9

Just if anyone wanted to know.

just search billy elliot documentary!

NYCMom
NYCMom

December 8th, 2008, 3:05 am #10

I watched the entire "Billy Elliot" documentary and was astounded by the talent. It was amazing to see the 15 finalists in the 10-day workshop, learning how to tap, do ballet and sing. These were kids from all over the country and most of them had no professional experience. Many of them were trained dancers, but only in one discipline. The three boys who got the role all had to learn two to three new skills in the process.

In my opinion, it puts any performer who is less dedicated than that to shame. All of our conversations about the various casts of "Annie" and the areas of talent that are lacking in the girls are kind of embarrassing, in comparison to "Billy Elliot." It just goes to show that you can find kids who don't have professional experience but do have the dedication and training. In my opinion, any young performer who wants to do theatre should be in dance and voice class. By the time they get to an "Annie" audition, they should at least know how to do the time step and learn a simple dance routine. If those boys at the "Billy Elliot" audition could learn how to tap in less than 10 days or learn ballet if they only were trained in Irish dancing, that raises the bar for all children who want to perform.

If you don't want to take the time or effort to train and practice, then you should stick to community theatre or do it as a hobby. Watching these kids in "Billy Elliot" should be inspiring to any young performer.

Julie
I agree all three Billys are amazing dancers and I think any Annie should be an amazing singer, first and foremost. I know some disagree and say acting or whatever is more important, but for Annie I think it's all about the singing, just like for Billy it's all about the dancing. Also, I don't think there is or ever was another child role more demanding than Billy. Hopefully at least a couple of the other finalists who went through that intense workshop get the chance to play the role.