OT: a question about Billy Elliot

Meghan
Meghan

October 30th, 2008, 4:43 am #1

Would anyone who is familiar with the show mind telling me what all the ballet girls do? I was just curious how much stage time they get, if they do much singing etc. And also, what does Debbie do specifically as well? I REALLY want to see this show.

I watched the video of all the ballet girls interviewed and it was really fun to watch. I was going to audition for a ballet girl originally, and then opted not to because i thought i was too old. It totally bums me out to see that there are several older and taller girls. o well!

October 30th, 2008, 5:39 am #2

Hey Meghan,

I haven't seen the show yet, but wanted to reply to your message here - because one thing I wanted to tell you is something I always have to tell myself... in the sense of auditioning - is to audition as much as you can and for everything, if there aren't specific requirements then let them decide that you are too old! I passed up several auditions because of similar feelings. So, go for it next time you get a similar opportunity! Best wishes on Secret Garden. --- oh and as far as Billy Elliot goes, maybe you'll get the chance to audition for the National Tour down the road!

Hugs,
Suzanne

Meghan
Meghan

October 30th, 2008, 5:43 am #3

I completely agree about auditioning as much as possible--but sometimes there are other things involved, like a plane ticket to nyc. I have to be more selective about those ones. but thanks for the well wishes!

and by the time BE is on tour, i'll be 18 and they'll just be dying to hire me, cuz its cheaper!

October 30th, 2008, 8:33 am #4

Would anyone who is familiar with the show mind telling me what all the ballet girls do? I was just curious how much stage time they get, if they do much singing etc. And also, what does Debbie do specifically as well? I REALLY want to see this show.

I watched the video of all the ballet girls interviewed and it was really fun to watch. I was going to audition for a ballet girl originally, and then opted not to because i thought i was too old. It totally bums me out to see that there are several older and taller girls. o well!
The ballet girls have quite a lot of time on stage. Several scenes of ballet lessons during which they dance quite a lot, the miners demonstration scene during which they dance and sing with the ensemble, the Christmas party scene during which they sing with the ensemble, and the final tap dance scene during which they mostly dance.
Debbie is in all of those scenes and has several dialogue lines with Billy but not many really. I wouldn't say it's a much bigger part than the other ballet girls, it's just that you know her name and you hear her speak a little.

Elin
Elin

October 30th, 2008, 2:26 pm #5

Here's one scene featuring the ballet girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc04JMHfJj4