Original Broadway Orphans

Original Broadway Orphans

guyNYC
guyNYC

December 7th, 2008, 6:55 pm #1

Ok this is going to sound like a strange question, but bear with me. I was looking at a pic of the original orphans from the first broadway run and I was just wondering: do these girls stay in touch with each other? I imagine that time in their lives was remarkable, surreal, a ton of work and a lot of fun. So what was it really like for them? Did they all get along? Were there rivalries or jealousies and fights? (remember being 13? crazy age even without the pressures of daily broadway performances.) Or were the rivalries left up to the stage mothers and the kids were just being kids? And do they keep in touch and sometimes reminisce?

I don't expect anyone to have the answers, but maybe someone has some insight?

Meghan
Meghan

December 7th, 2008, 7:05 pm #2

That was the original purpose of this website (Annieorphans.com, not necessarilly this message board specifically). Julie Stevens, who started all of this, was in the broadway cast and the 3rd (?) National Company, and was in touch with some orphans, but wanted to connect all of them. She then made Life After Tomorrow, a great documentary, which if you watch, will answer all your questions regarding what it was like, getting along, etc.

Rachel
Rachel

December 7th, 2008, 7:24 pm #3

Andrea and Shelley arranged a reunion in April 2007 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of "Annie" opening on Broadway. Shelley posted some pics on her myspace:

Back row (L-R): Robyn Finn, Danielle Brisebois, Laura Dean (original Goodspeed cast), Kristen Vigard, Donna Graham, Janine Ruane
Front row (L-R): Diana Barrows, Shelley Bruce, Sasha Charnin, Andrea McArdle

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 7th, 2008, 7:38 pm #4

Ok this is going to sound like a strange question, but bear with me. I was looking at a pic of the original orphans from the first broadway run and I was just wondering: do these girls stay in touch with each other? I imagine that time in their lives was remarkable, surreal, a ton of work and a lot of fun. So what was it really like for them? Did they all get along? Were there rivalries or jealousies and fights? (remember being 13? crazy age even without the pressures of daily broadway performances.) Or were the rivalries left up to the stage mothers and the kids were just being kids? And do they keep in touch and sometimes reminisce?

I don't expect anyone to have the answers, but maybe someone has some insight?
The OBC orphans do not really stay in touch with each other. Yes, of course there were rivalries and jealousies, as would be expected with a bunch of little girls and stage mothers. It was a professional job in a competitive business. Their time in the show was memorable and life-changing, but when it was over, they were all teenagers and went on with their lives. The only ones who kept in contact were the girls whose mothers stayed friends and kept in touch.

Julie

guyNYC
guyNYC

December 7th, 2008, 7:50 pm #5

Andrea and Shelley arranged a reunion in April 2007 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of "Annie" opening on Broadway. Shelley posted some pics on her myspace:

Back row (L-R): Robyn Finn, Danielle Brisebois, Laura Dean (original Goodspeed cast), Kristen Vigard, Donna Graham, Janine Ruane
Front row (L-R): Diana Barrows, Shelley Bruce, Sasha Charnin, Andrea McArdle
I was wondering what happened to Janine Ruane. I vaguely remember one long ago interview (can't recall which) where Andrea mentioned that she and Janine were distantly related through marriage or something. Janine was such a good dancer and singer. They were all really good.

I wonder if it was ever awkward for Kristin and Andrea considering the casting. Well, I know I'm getting into somewhat gossipy topics but I can't help my curiosity sometimes.

Thanks for the pic, that was a treat. What a cast.

old fan
old fan

December 7th, 2008, 8:38 pm #6

...on this website, also !And, I read long ago that Shelley was thinking of starting an Annie Orphans Club for all girls in the original companies or ours, but it never got launched. So it seems the girls must have (generally) gotten along well. That recent reunion, LAT and definitely this website keep the casts and fans up to date.

Dina
Dina

December 8th, 2008, 4:46 am #7

I was wondering what happened to Janine Ruane. I vaguely remember one long ago interview (can't recall which) where Andrea mentioned that she and Janine were distantly related through marriage or something. Janine was such a good dancer and singer. They were all really good.

I wonder if it was ever awkward for Kristin and Andrea considering the casting. Well, I know I'm getting into somewhat gossipy topics but I can't help my curiosity sometimes.

Thanks for the pic, that was a treat. What a cast.
Every so often, Janine pops onto this forum and posts. I always love reading her posts! If you did a search, you would probably locate some of them.

Dina

old fan
old fan

December 8th, 2008, 2:14 pm #8

...on this website, also !And, I read long ago that Shelley was thinking of starting an Annie Orphans Club for all girls in the original companies or ours, but it never got launched. So it seems the girls must have (generally) gotten along well. That recent reunion, LAT and definitely this website keep the casts and fans up to date.
nm