"old" question...

old fan
old fan

May 21st, 2008, 3:58 pm #1

..this has had me puzzled for years...in Broadway Plays Washington (video on this site) why does Allison Smith sing HKL in that "stacatto" way with a fierce face ? That's not how it is done in the musical so I can only guess it was staged this way for this performance, but the other Annies sang their songs the "regular" way !

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 21st, 2008, 4:58 pm #2

Actually, we did sing he song with what I used to call the "angry face." If you watch any video on this site of HKL, most of the orphans sing in a clipped voice, looking pissed off. That is how we were directed and it totally works for the song. Personally, I think the song would have sounded terrible if Allison had sung it straight, or without any character feeling. I think she was the best performer of the night.

Julie

old fan
old fan

May 21st, 2008, 5:46 pm #3

...I LOVE her voice, and I think she performed the best, also. To me it just looked a bit different than when the orphans sing the song on a talk/variety show. Maybe it was because she sang alone... I actually think that it one of my favorites of your clips ! I saw Allison on Broadway ( but before you joined, Julie) and she was terrific.

kate
kate

May 21st, 2008, 8:33 pm #4

ok this sounds really stupid but i have actually always wondered! Julie you just sad 'Pissed Off' (this is so random!) but in America is that a swear word? Over here it is (quite a bad one) but a few years ago when I was younger I did the show annie get your gun and one of the cast was american and said it infront of the kids and we (being young) were all really shocked. Stupid and silly question but just wondered?
xxxx

Max=)
Max=)

May 21st, 2008, 9:11 pm #5

Oh my, I remember when I studied in London for nine months, and the went to the US for vacation! I had the same problem! If I remember it correctly, in the UK "Pissed off" is a swearword, but in the US it has more of a "being really angry"-meaning. I could be wrong though, since I´m not in any way an English-expert, and even worse, English is not my first language.
I also bumped into the problem with the word "pissed", which was very bad when I accidently used it at a US University. In UK it meant being really drunk.

Languages can be a really tricky buisness.

Sincerely
Max=)

Meghan
Meghan

May 21st, 2008, 9:12 pm #6

ok this sounds really stupid but i have actually always wondered! Julie you just sad 'Pissed Off' (this is so random!) but in America is that a swear word? Over here it is (quite a bad one) but a few years ago when I was younger I did the show annie get your gun and one of the cast was american and said it infront of the kids and we (being young) were all really shocked. Stupid and silly question but just wondered?
xxxx
"pissed off" is kinda a swear word but not really. like it probably would depend on what your parents taught you as a kid, but it really isnt that bad. I would say, IMO, its slightly worse than stupid but no where near as bad as sh** or H**l.

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

May 21st, 2008, 10:00 pm #7

I'm from the UK... well, Ireland, and it doesn't seem like a swear word to me. It just means you are angry or annoyed... to me anyways, but my mum might not like it as much. lol

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 21st, 2008, 10:21 pm #8

xxxx
Yes, Kate, "pissed off" certainly has a different meaning in the U.K. than it does in the U.S. It has become a common expression here for being angry or annoyed. It's not considered bad language, although it's somewhat impolite for a child to say it. We also say someone is "pissed drunk" if they are really drunk.

Julie

Ned
Ned

May 22nd, 2008, 8:35 am #9

Here in Guam "butt" is considered a bad word. So we've learned to say a "pain in the neck" rather than the other thing. One quickly learns to be culturally sensitive if he/she wants to have friends!!!

mom of 6
mom of 6

May 23rd, 2008, 2:41 am #10

xxxx
"pissed off" is not allowed among the kids in our house. (can't speak for the sailor mouthed adults ) "Stupid" and "hate" are among those as well. I used to say they were bad words until they started school and they came home saying "mom, so-n-so said those are not bad words" So I changed it to bad words in our house! The older ones are on to me.