old fan
old fan

June 11th, 2008, 2:21 pm #11

I was wild about Annie in 1977 also, and watched/read everything I could on the musical and the actors. I think some of those remarks by Andrea are in articles in Julie's archive on this site. I only vaguely remember hearing or understanding such comments at the time. I do know that she was a prankster, and Shelley Bruce wrote in detail about this in her book (my #1 source !) But watching those old TV interviews (Merv, Mike etc) it seemed like all the orphans kind of idolized Andrea, at least outwardly, and at that age, it's gotta go to your head, as well as all the press and VIP treatment. I did not know her adult co-stars did not care for her... I never heard any other negative reports about her as an adult...but I am sure there are some, if others have heard them...

old fan
old fan

June 11th, 2008, 2:26 pm #12

..Andrea and Tatum share a birthday, Nov 5, 1963.

Anyone
Anyone

June 12th, 2008, 1:47 am #13

I don't think it's any big secret that Andrea is not the warmest person in the world, It seems to be common knowledge from her Annie days, when her adult castmates loathed her and made no secret about it. She gave many interviews in which I,as a child thought particularly shocking and innappropriate - I remember clearly her bashing her peers, like Jodie Foster, a very young Tatum O'Neal and Brooke Shields. Not somethin a young girl in the public eye usually does, particualy a star whith presumabaly a publicist roping her in. Then I read the jackie coogan book which makes her out to be a monster. Not that you can believe everything that you read but having seen her on Broodway at the show's peak and having been mesmerized, even obsessed with Andrea, I found it a little depressing that my idol was attacking my other idols at a time when I NEEDED all those idols! (i was 12 so forgive me),
I have seen Andrea interact with fans a few times and seen her be really sweet and other times I've seen her be completely aloof and I kind of felt like the nice side of her is kind of fake.
I do remember reading one of the articles on this site in which Andrea was interviewed and she said in response to the interviewer asking about her age vs. Annie's age, (something along the lines of, sorry it is not a direct quote) "She's 11 now and I am 13 so when I get older, they'll just make her older." I was thinking wow how unbelievably cocky for a thirteen year old to say in a national magazine. Very, very unhumble. I've also read an interview at the time where she said herself that the adults in the show (especially Reid) hated that she took her time saying her lines slowing down the pace of the show deliberately. I bet the other orphans were a lot more envious than they were worshipful of her.. I would bet most of them wished the stardom happened to them. I can't imagine it was

Even in interviews in recent years, she comes off as overly cocky. For someone who has a hard time getting a role on Broadway, she acts like most roles are beneath her and if it isn't something akin to Mama Rose well that's below her and her acting abilities.

That said, I think she is more than gracious to do things like recreate Annie NOW at her age for Rosie's cruise just for fun... and she sings 'Tomorrow' all the time and signs anything Annie for anyone (I've seen that myself). A lot of adults who were childhood stars want nothing to do with their childhood role (like Gary Coleman, Eve Plumb, Molly Ringwald) and resent anyone asking them anything about the roles they became famous for as a child, while Andrea really takes it in stride and understand people are largely soo interested in her because of her stardom in Annie. She does get a thumbs up in my book for that.

sasha charnin
sasha charnin

June 14th, 2008, 1:41 am #14

Perhaps the two little boys on Martin's lap were his grandsons, Sasha's twin sons?

Julie
yes...they are. sorry to have not responded sooner...

sasha
sasha

June 14th, 2008, 2:13 am #15

Yes, Andrea did make it despite the store's flyer saying she wouldn't. The CD signing started a 1/2 late to accomodate someone's schedule and maybe it was her. When I got there, was excited to see Andrea there. But she was a great dissappointment. She and Kathy Lee Gifford sat there and "gossiped" basically the entire time. Andrea looked miserable and people said they had to basically shove the CD in front of her to sign. Our experience was about the same. She seemed like she didn't want to be there or be bothered. Very dissappointing as they were the end of the line of the table and everyone else were so appreciative and happy for the show of support from the people who showed up to get their CD signed and meet members of the cast. Martin had two little boys on his lap the entire time and they were cute. Even Sandy, the dog was there. Overall nice time with the exception on Andrea who looked seemed very unfriendly.
She was totally fine. It was extremely hot downstairs at Virgin and I think they were all feeling it. I think Andrea has a lot on her mind right now, she was suppose to be in LA but ended up staying. Her daughter was there and her husband joined the after party-immediately after the signing. But she was fine and nice and pleasant.

As to all of hogwash-all this negative posting-i spent my preteen years with her and we traveled together to the London opening of Annie, plus years later I understudied Andrea at the St. Regis Hotel, she sang at my wedding-so, roughly thirty plus years-she's never been mean or dismissive or any of this stuff posted. That was a lot of time to spend together and all of this was never evident. That Annie company loved one another. They all knew that what they were sitting on was special and there was no diva-lating.

sasha
sasha

June 14th, 2008, 2:16 am #16

Yes, Andrea did make it despite the store's flyer saying she wouldn't. The CD signing started a 1/2 late to accomodate someone's schedule and maybe it was her. When I got there, was excited to see Andrea there. But she was a great dissappointment. She and Kathy Lee Gifford sat there and "gossiped" basically the entire time. Andrea looked miserable and people said they had to basically shove the CD in front of her to sign. Our experience was about the same. She seemed like she didn't want to be there or be bothered. Very dissappointing as they were the end of the line of the table and everyone else were so appreciative and happy for the show of support from the people who showed up to get their CD signed and meet members of the cast. Martin had two little boys on his lap the entire time and they were cute. Even Sandy, the dog was there. Overall nice time with the exception on Andrea who looked seemed very unfriendly.
Thanks for the compliment for the boys, Merrianne. Those are our twins and MC's grandson's.

Sarah
Sarah

June 16th, 2008, 12:24 pm #17

She was totally fine. It was extremely hot downstairs at Virgin and I think they were all feeling it. I think Andrea has a lot on her mind right now, she was suppose to be in LA but ended up staying. Her daughter was there and her husband joined the after party-immediately after the signing. But she was fine and nice and pleasant.

As to all of hogwash-all this negative posting-i spent my preteen years with her and we traveled together to the London opening of Annie, plus years later I understudied Andrea at the St. Regis Hotel, she sang at my wedding-so, roughly thirty plus years-she's never been mean or dismissive or any of this stuff posted. That was a lot of time to spend together and all of this was never evident. That Annie company loved one another. They all knew that what they were sitting on was special and there was no diva-lating.
I've never met Andrea myself, but I certainly wouldnt base any opinions of any actress, adult or child, on what the press say. The press in general always expect any "child star" to be cocky and precocious. She may have been hugely misrepresented or even misquoted. It's also relevant to remember that (re her alleged comments on other child stars of the day) at the time, the press were constantly bashing Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields, Tatum O Neal and Linda Blair for the inappropriate roles they took on. It was usual for people to comment negatively about them. If Andrea did say those things, she wasn't saying anything different to what anyone else was saying in 77/78.

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

June 17th, 2008, 5:13 am #18

I was wild about Annie in 1977 also, and watched/read everything I could on the musical and the actors. I think some of those remarks by Andrea are in articles in Julie's archive on this site. I only vaguely remember hearing or understanding such comments at the time. I do know that she was a prankster, and Shelley Bruce wrote in detail about this in her book (my #1 source !) But watching those old TV interviews (Merv, Mike etc) it seemed like all the orphans kind of idolized Andrea, at least outwardly, and at that age, it's gotta go to your head, as well as all the press and VIP treatment. I did not know her adult co-stars did not care for her... I never heard any other negative reports about her as an adult...but I am sure there are some, if others have heard them...
Yeah, exactly right. She did seem like a such a little ball of energy and light, such a delighftil presence. I was in awe of her!

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

June 17th, 2008, 5:18 am #19

I have seen Andrea interact with fans a few times and seen her be really sweet and other times I've seen her be completely aloof and I kind of felt like the nice side of her is kind of fake.
I do remember reading one of the articles on this site in which Andrea was interviewed and she said in response to the interviewer asking about her age vs. Annie's age, (something along the lines of, sorry it is not a direct quote) "She's 11 now and I am 13 so when I get older, they'll just make her older." I was thinking wow how unbelievably cocky for a thirteen year old to say in a national magazine. Very, very unhumble. I've also read an interview at the time where she said herself that the adults in the show (especially Reid) hated that she took her time saying her lines slowing down the pace of the show deliberately. I bet the other orphans were a lot more envious than they were worshipful of her.. I would bet most of them wished the stardom happened to them. I can't imagine it was

Even in interviews in recent years, she comes off as overly cocky. For someone who has a hard time getting a role on Broadway, she acts like most roles are beneath her and if it isn't something akin to Mama Rose well that's below her and her acting abilities.

That said, I think she is more than gracious to do things like recreate Annie NOW at her age for Rosie's cruise just for fun... and she sings 'Tomorrow' all the time and signs anything Annie for anyone (I've seen that myself). A lot of adults who were childhood stars want nothing to do with their childhood role (like Gary Coleman, Eve Plumb, Molly Ringwald) and resent anyone asking them anything about the roles they became famous for as a child, while Andrea really takes it in stride and understand people are largely soo interested in her because of her stardom in Annie. She does get a thumbs up in my book for that.
Oh yes, I remembered her saying that about the producers upping the age of the character for her. I think she probably suffered what many of the girls suffered, as shown in Julie's movie. Even Andrea, or maybe ESPECIALLY Andrea (the star) suffered from the 15 minutes of fame thing. Her star in broadway was so intense and so short since by hte time it opned she was already 13, that it must have been terribly difficult.

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

June 17th, 2008, 5:23 am #20

I don't think this is "hogwash negative posting", just people's shared experiences and some stuff they had read in invterviews, stuff in Andrea's own words. It doesn't mean she's a bad person or whatever, I'm sure she was fine, but for some of us it's interesting and is on a blog about "Aniie".I