need audition song

nc girl
nc girl

October 29th, 2008, 10:27 pm #1

Anyone here know of a good audition song for Bat Boy the Musical? I have a 15 yr-old daughter who normally sings alto, but her voice teacher seems to only want her to sing classical these days, to get the headvoice strong, which is fine, but I'm afraid she isn't going to be much help in helping her with a rock musical--in fact, she isn't even going to want to hear about it!

Meghan
Meghan

October 30th, 2008, 12:25 am #2

Its an awesome show, but VERY strange. You will either love it or hate it. Is she doing it with all kids/teens? In case you arent aware there are some inappropriate parts of the show, but sometimes they are cut.

I'm assuming she is auditioning for the role of Shelly, the teenage daughter?
The stuff Shelly sings is not very rock at all, but Shelly goes very high in the song Inside Your Heart. Unless, its the west end version and not the off broadway version, because there different and there is another song instead of inside your heart. I would choose a song that has a lot of personality (borderline character-y), and that shows off some range.
I sang Right in front of Your Eyes from the Wedding Singer. It honestly wasnt a particularly great choice, because they asked for a rock song that wasnt MT, but i just dont have any thing rock in my repetoire. At least wedding singer is a somewhat pop/rock show.

sorry im not more help with song choice, but if you have any questions about the show i'd love to answer them!

im bored, so how bout some pics of me in bat boy!?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

nc girl
nc girl

October 30th, 2008, 12:44 am #3

First of all--love the pics!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!!! The show will be all kids/teens, so I really have no idea what role she'd go for--I know nothing about the show, other than, like you said, it is different! Thank you so much for your input and as time approaches, I may be asking more specific questions--won't be until Feb., so we have time. I just didn't know where else to go to ask, because like I said, I already know what the voice teacher will say about her auditioning and she doesn't need to be set up for discouragement, you know?

October 30th, 2008, 12:50 am #4

Its an awesome show, but VERY strange. You will either love it or hate it. Is she doing it with all kids/teens? In case you arent aware there are some inappropriate parts of the show, but sometimes they are cut.

The stuff Shelly sings is not very rock at all, but Shelly goes very high in the song Inside Your Heart. Unless, its the west end version and not the off broadway version, because there different and there is another song instead of inside your heart. I would choose a song that has a lot of personality (borderline character-y), and that shows off some range.
I sang Right in front of Your Eyes from the Wedding Singer. It honestly wasnt a particularly great choice, because they asked for a rock song that wasnt MT, but i just dont have any thing rock in my repetoire. At least wedding singer is a somewhat pop/rock show.

sorry im not more help with song choice, but if you have any questions about the show i'd love to answer them!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Meghan, thank you for sharing your photos! I enjoyed looking at them. I've never seen Batboy or heard the music to it, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

How long does your show run and when are your auditions for The Secret Garden?

Best wishes,
Suzanne

annielaurie
annielaurie

October 30th, 2008, 2:40 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I also love the photos you posted! You have a wonderfully expressive face! You have that "it" quality! Thanks for posting! Lovely!

Does anyone have links to any of the songs in the show?

Meghan
Meghan

October 30th, 2008, 4:16 am #6

First of all--love the pics!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!!! The show will be all kids/teens, so I really have no idea what role she'd go for--I know nothing about the show, other than, like you said, it is different! Thank you so much for your input and as time approaches, I may be asking more specific questions--won't be until Feb., so we have time. I just didn't know where else to go to ask, because like I said, I already know what the voice teacher will say about her auditioning and she doesn't need to be set up for discouragement, you know?
That is really such a bummer that her voice teacher would discourage her from auditioning and performing.

If the show is only kids/teens i would assume they would be less likely to include the orgy, rape scene, and incest. The show is still good and easily understood without them. (wich would lead one to question WHY are they even included in the first place? GREAT QUESTION. not that i am not enjoying the chance to give birth on stage and simulate innapropriate acts in an animal mask, but really..... (that was sarcasm by the way))

Good luck to your daughter!

Meghan

oh, why not some more pics:

Meghan
Meghan

October 30th, 2008, 4:40 am #7

I also love the photos you posted! You have a wonderfully expressive face! You have that "it" quality! Thanks for posting! Lovely!

Does anyone have links to any of the songs in the show?
thanks for the compliments.

Suzzane: Bat boy opened back in september and (finally) closes this weekend. it is at a tiny little playhouse in orange county, CA. Secret Garden auditions are, i believe, next week. We havent actually been told for sure because our director is in NYC premiering his show, but i know he got back today, and they're supposed to be as soon he got back. so SOON. I just dont know precisely when.

as far as links to the songs.....um, you can download the sountrack off amazon. Im not sure if theyre available for free anywhere. possibly myspace?

nc girl
nc girl

October 30th, 2008, 6:09 pm #8

Thank you for your post and more pics! Yea, it is frustrating about her voice teacher--she is really great with the vocal technique, but is lacking with getting them ready for auditions--we had a great teacher for several years who taught all that, but she moved to a different state--she was very into musical theatre, as she has performed in many national tours, opera companies, etc. This new teacher is very into protecting the voice and being able to use it longterm, which is of course, what we want to be able to do, but she is very selective in what she deems suitable for the voice as far as shows go. Maybe we'll end up thanking her one day, but it is no fun not being able to get support from your teacher when you have an audition--ugh! BTW, yes, I hope they do not keep all the content--wow, sounds like a bit much!

nc girl
nc girl

October 30th, 2008, 6:10 pm #9

Meghan, I forgot to wish you luck on the Secret Garden!!!!!! Now, that is a show, I know my daughter's voice teacher would approve of--ha!

Gina
Gina

October 31st, 2008, 12:43 am #10

thanks for the compliments.

Suzzane: Bat boy opened back in september and (finally) closes this weekend. it is at a tiny little playhouse in orange county, CA. Secret Garden auditions are, i believe, next week. We havent actually been told for sure because our director is in NYC premiering his show, but i know he got back today, and they're supposed to be as soon he got back. so SOON. I just dont know precisely when.

as far as links to the songs.....um, you can download the sountrack off amazon. Im not sure if theyre available for free anywhere. possibly myspace?
I love the show Secret garden. What theater is performing this? I would love to go see it. I live in Southern California.