Musicals sketch on "SNL" tonight

Rachel
Rachel

January 11th, 2009, 6:07 am #1

...with Taylor Swift as Annie. I'm sure the video will be on NBC.com by tomorrow but hopefully all of you on the West coast can catch it tonight. It was a sketch about musicals closing and all of the cast members were dressed as musical characters and offering their advice on how to save the industry. Hysterical!

Rachel

question
question

January 11th, 2009, 3:20 pm #2

what was that remark about Jeremy Piven about? I didn't get it, but the audience seemed to respond big! Thanks-

Claire
Claire

January 11th, 2009, 4:00 pm #3

Rachel
Rachel

January 11th, 2009, 5:21 pm #4

what was that remark about Jeremy Piven about? I didn't get it, but the audience seemed to respond big! Thanks-
Jeremy Piven was starring in "Speed-the-Plow" on Broadway and pulled out of the production midway through the run due to alleged mercury poisoning from a diet for sushi several times a day. There have been a ton of rumors that he just couldn't hack in onstage and that he showed up to perform drunk and unprepared and that's why he really pulled out of the show. It's gotten quite a bit of press which is why the NY audience was so responsive.

Rachel

January 11th, 2009, 7:39 pm #5

One more video we Europeans aren't allowed to see!!!

Jesica
Jesica

January 11th, 2009, 7:49 pm #6

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... s_20010101

I don't know if it's the same source or not.

Dina
Dina

January 12th, 2009, 12:16 am #7

Jeremy Piven was starring in "Speed-the-Plow" on Broadway and pulled out of the production midway through the run due to alleged mercury poisoning from a diet for sushi several times a day. There have been a ton of rumors that he just couldn't hack in onstage and that he showed up to perform drunk and unprepared and that's why he really pulled out of the show. It's gotten quite a bit of press which is why the NY audience was so responsive.

Rachel
I didn't know this about Jeremy Piven pulling out of SPPED THE PLOW (wow, I must be out to lunch!!), but I always heard he was a trained and respected stage actor before he got into TV. I can't imagine he couldn't handle the demands of a live theatre performance--but yeah, certainly getting drunk before the show would be a big, big problem (though he wouldn't be the first actor to do so--I have heard some horror stories...)

Rachel
Rachel

January 12th, 2009, 1:14 am #8

The real reasons for him leaving the play were speculative at best. His doctor has come out and said publicly that Piven was diagnosed with a high mercury count and the only solution was to change his diet and get a lot of rest. He was replaced by Norbert Leo Butz and then William H. Macy.

Rachel

January 12th, 2009, 6:02 am #9

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... s_20010101

I don't know if it's the same source or not.
Thanks for trying though!

Nina
Nina

January 12th, 2009, 6:15 am #10

and I will send it to you.