MT Universities and Audtitions

MT Universities and Audtitions

Tina
Tina

July 30th, 2008, 12:25 pm #1

I can't believe it, but it's time for my daughter to begin filling out college applications and begin preparing for auditions for their musical theatre schools. From what I have learned, most schools (except NYU) only take about 12 freshman. And, it seems...most schools want something different...like songs and monologues from different eras, etc. And, many of the essay questions are different. She's going to have to end up learning 5 monologues and writing about 7 or 8 different essays to cover all the schools. Yikes! So, here's my question...
Some people say that kids should never sing something that is currently on Broadway. Her best songs are "Astonishing" from Little Women and "The Wizard and I" from Wicked. Her ballad is "Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop.
Should she go with what she sings the best or keep looking?
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Tina

CindyS
CindyS

July 30th, 2008, 1:59 pm #2

Please e-mail me. My dd went that road back in 1985 and now my youger dd is about to. I learned a lot in the last few years and younger dd is at an advantage, although older dd did well.

ILuvAnnie2
ILuvAnnie2

July 30th, 2008, 2:24 pm #3

I can't believe it, but it's time for my daughter to begin filling out college applications and begin preparing for auditions for their musical theatre schools. From what I have learned, most schools (except NYU) only take about 12 freshman. And, it seems...most schools want something different...like songs and monologues from different eras, etc. And, many of the essay questions are different. She's going to have to end up learning 5 monologues and writing about 7 or 8 different essays to cover all the schools. Yikes! So, here's my question...
Some people say that kids should never sing something that is currently on Broadway. Her best songs are "Astonishing" from Little Women and "The Wizard and I" from Wicked. Her ballad is "Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop.

Tina
As far as song choices, I would not worry about what anyone tells you (or your daughter). Unless the auditioner(s) request a specific song, she should go with what she sings best.

Sarah
Sarah

July 30th, 2008, 3:22 pm #4

I cant speak for what the criteria is in the US, but I do work on the audition panel for an MT course in the UK. Yes, Wicked etc do get done to death, but I'd rather see a fabulous performance of When I meet the Wizard and a potential student who's at home with what she's doing than someone struggling through something more original that doesnt suit them as well, or a misguided vocal coach/parent has recommended they do and they clearly aren't happy with.(Its quite scary how many bad singing teachers there must be out there!)

It's also about a student's potential and attitude - I always seem to know when I watch the dance class at the start of an audition session who will shine in the singing/pieces- and it rarely has anything to do with how much ballet or jazz training they've had!

kate
kate

July 30th, 2008, 5:37 pm #5

what uk audition board are you on?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 30th, 2008, 6:51 pm #6

Tina
Honestly, I would spend the time learning some new songs that aren't going to cause the interviewees to zone out. That would mean avoiding any and all songs from "Little Women," Thoroughly Modern Millie," "Wicked," and Disney ("Little Mermaid," "Mulan," Pocahontas," etc...) It's not about belting as high as you can or singing as loud as possible (which is what would happen with those songs you mentioned). It's about showing that you understand the lyrics to a song and can make them personal to you. There is a world of amazing music out there by composers like Cole Porter, Jule Styne, Rodgers & Hammerstein, George and Ira Gershwin, Stephen Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, Frank Loesser, Marvin Hamlish, Alan Jay Lerner, Harold Arlen, Charles Strouse, Jerry Herman, Irving Berlin, Frank Wildhorn, Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Aherns, Kander and Ebb, etc...It would be a shame for your daughter to miss out on some amazing and well-written songs that will not only show that she can sing and act, but also set her apart from the thousands of other students auditioning for the few spots in the program.

Julie

CindyS
CindyS

July 30th, 2008, 9:01 pm #7

Julie is right. Do what is comfortable to you in your range and something you can sell. My dd learned this summer that it's now about belting or showing off, but rather in finding the bars of a song that really show off personality. Start off strong and confident and end strong and confident, even if it means not doing the bars of the song that show belt range.

It's all about what song suits you as the performer. Don't worry about what anybody else says. If you can sell the song, you're doing good.

Break a leg!

Tina
Tina

July 31st, 2008, 1:45 am #8

Honestly, I would spend the time learning some new songs that aren't going to cause the interviewees to zone out. That would mean avoiding any and all songs from "Little Women," Thoroughly Modern Millie," "Wicked," and Disney ("Little Mermaid," "Mulan," Pocahontas," etc...) It's not about belting as high as you can or singing as loud as possible (which is what would happen with those songs you mentioned). It's about showing that you understand the lyrics to a song and can make them personal to you. There is a world of amazing music out there by composers like Cole Porter, Jule Styne, Rodgers & Hammerstein, George and Ira Gershwin, Stephen Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, Frank Loesser, Marvin Hamlish, Alan Jay Lerner, Harold Arlen, Charles Strouse, Jerry Herman, Irving Berlin, Frank Wildhorn, Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Aherns, Kander and Ebb, etc...It would be a shame for your daughter to miss out on some amazing and well-written songs that will not only show that she can sing and act, but also set her apart from the thousands of other students auditioning for the few spots in the program.

Julie
Here's the problem... My daughter's voice is good, but it isn't exceptional unless she's belting. Those are her money notes. When schools only take 12 freshman, I think she needs to knock their socks off somehow. So far, her monologues are only so-so (but we're hoping they are great before the auditions ) I think she could be easily forgotten if she didn't hit the big notes. I'm not sure if she should take that chance when she only has 16 bars to show them what you've got. What do you think?

Cindy
Cindy

July 31st, 2008, 3:29 am #9

Tina
My daughter just graduated from Syracuse with a BFA in musical theatre. There is a forum on collegeconfidential.com that has a whole thread on musical theatre schools. The discussions ranged from curriculum, to acceptance rates, to what happens at the actual auditions. I can't tell you enough how helpful it was. When you go to the website, click on the button that says "college discussion" and then scroll down until you get to the musical theatre major. You can also go to the alphabetic list of colleges to read about other aspects of the school.