More pictures of Sally/Reagle Players' Annie

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 20th, 2008, 4:27 pm #1

http://www.reagleplayers.com/Images/Ann ... nie08.html

Hey, OF, I don't think the costumes look THAT bad and I don't see any male orphans, either haha

The wigs on the other hand...

Looks like a decent production. Someone on talkingbroadway saw it and said while it was a very talented cast, the show itself is 'dated' and for that reason, he didn't like it.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

July 20th, 2008, 6:13 pm #2

WOW K-the-O! Those are great pics!! Thanks
I have three questions:

Do you understand what the person meant by the show being "dated?" Is there a "modern" production of Annie I don't know about?

Also, I counted at least nine orphans in the picture where they're sitting on the floor with Annie. I'm curious to know how the lines are divided (or maybe not divided) among the orphans and what names are given to the extra orphans. When a production company decides to add extra orphans, do they name the extra orphans or do they call a certain group of girls the "orphan chorus?"
If they name them, how do they decide the names?

Last but not least, hey K-the-O, I thought you were going to see this show! What's up?

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 20th, 2008, 6:26 pm #3

I wrote why I didn't go in some thread below

I think by "dated" he meant the story just didn't hold up i.e. wasn't socially relevant; that the punch lines are no longer funny, the Hooverville scene isn't needed, the show drags, etc.

I don't agree with him because because I think when the original script is altered to TRY to be "modern" that is when you have a flop e.g. Annie20th
I also think this show is produced too often and it does get 'old'. I think Charnin should have waited for Annie40th and skipped the 30th. Then he should have stuck to the original rather than sanitizing it.

As for the orphans in the Reagle production, I'm not really sure how it was staged. I'm guessing the extra orphans came in just for the musical numbers and probably didn't have names or lines. But I really don't know. Each production handles the extra orphans differently. Personally, I don't like it when there are extra kids. It usually means chaos on stage - in the sense that it's over-crowded and it's distracting.

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

July 20th, 2008, 6:49 pm #4

This production actually looks really nice. I'm not in love with the set, or some of the costumes, and the only bad wig I see is Annie's curly wig. Apart from all that it looks like a really good show. I can't judge performances because... well I didn't see the show, but from the photos, the cast look like they can act.

old fan
old fan

July 20th, 2008, 6:57 pm #5

Hey, OF, I don't think the costumes look THAT bad and I don't see any male orphans, either haha

Looks like a decent production. Someone on talkingbroadway saw it and said while it was a very talented cast, the show itself is 'dated' and for that reason, he didn't like it.
...they might have been extras for NYC, idk, all I saw were some amateur photos and there were LOTS of kids, male and female, but IMO, some of the costumes were not great; the ones in these pics are OK ! I'm sure the show was fine but I couldn't find any reviews either !

old fan
old fan

July 20th, 2008, 7:12 pm #6

... some of the pics I saw were different from some of these...is this a collage of 1996 and the recent show ?

NYCMom
NYCMom

July 20th, 2008, 7:45 pm #7

Cute pics! Sally S. looks like she made a good Hannigan. I really can't stand it when people call a musical/play, etc. "dated." Doesn't every story have a place in time?

old fan
old fan

July 20th, 2008, 8:42 pm #8

I know ! It's supposed to be dated, to 1933, and should stay there ! I hate how they change the jokes etc because people won't "get" them. That's a sad comment on the common knowledge of American history and culture. I also don't think they need to add new songs or lines just because many people have seen the musical before.

Colleen
Colleen

July 21st, 2008, 10:40 pm #9

...they might have been extras for NYC, idk, all I saw were some amateur photos and there were LOTS of kids, male and female, but IMO, some of the costumes were not great; the ones in these pics are OK ! I'm sure the show was fine but I couldn't find any reviews either !
.....it's a GREAT one!!!!

http://www.theatermirror.com/TAreagleannie.htm

Colleen
Colleen

July 21st, 2008, 10:44 pm #10