Molly's costume

Molly's costume

Dina
Dina

May 17th, 2008, 12:41 am #1

I can't remember if/when we may have discussed this, but at what point over the years did Molly's costume change from being a dress/frock w/ bloomers to that one piece number with the patches?

old fan
old fan

May 17th, 2008, 1:01 am #2

...looks like Molly now just stays in her PJs. Don't know when the patches were added, but they sure weren't in the OBC costumes for Molly. IMO all the costumes have gradually changed somewhat over the years, and not for the better.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 17th, 2008, 3:21 am #3

I agree that the costumes, from Annie20th on, have changed (and not necessarily for the better

I don't know about Molly's costume but I wondered when did she stop tap dancing in Never Fully Dressed? I know it was only ten years ago but did Christiana wear taps or did the orchestra tap for her?

I didn't like the choreography, at the beginning of Fully Dressed, in this recent tour. And that shimmy bit? Ugh. Oh well!

Dina
Dina

May 17th, 2008, 3:58 am #4

I could have sworn she wasn't really tapping/doing tap steps (even without taps on shoes) but Anastasia's mom (Christine) told me awhile back it was all tap--as she saw Anastaisia learning it and practicing the steps (I had asked her about it). To me, ever since the 20th, it does indeed look different from the way it was done in the original production. I agree K the O--I noticed quite a few differences at the beginning of "Smile" and wasn't crazy about them.

CindyS
CindyS

May 17th, 2008, 1:28 pm #5

I agree that the costumes, from Annie20th on, have changed (and not necessarily for the better

I don't know about Molly's costume but I wondered when did she stop tap dancing in Never Fully Dressed? I know it was only ten years ago but did Christiana wear taps or did the orchestra tap for her?

I didn't like the choreography, at the beginning of Fully Dressed, in this recent tour. And that shimmy bit? Ugh. Oh well!
I also don't understand not singing July's solo in Never Fully Dressed. It just seems like the newer productions are getting increasingly "campy". And, I agree about Molly's costume. The long-johns just don't do it for me. And the bloomers on Annie underneath her orphan costume look so ballooned out.

It's just an opinion, though, so please don't blast me for it.

old fan
old fan

May 17th, 2008, 1:32 pm #6

Maybe the costume budget didn't allow for Molly to have a dress, lol. Although I thought Annalisa was good, I did not like the canned tap music. And the bloomers IMO were not how they wore them in the 1930's- they were "underwear" which was not meant to be seen, not billowing out ! I these orphans had misfitting bloomers, they would have tried to hide them a bit, in that modest era ! IMO, IMO...

Maria
Maria

May 17th, 2008, 9:50 pm #7

In this last production Molly wore the longjohns in addition to a dress with bloomers in the second act.

Natalie
Natalie

May 17th, 2008, 10:20 pm #8

I get the feeling that the pjs were used both to make Molly look younger and to keep the dress from getting in her face when she did the cartwheel. But that's just what my impression was.

old fan
old fan

May 17th, 2008, 11:11 pm #9

..is in the 2nd act, but in the clip Julie posted, Molly was still in long johns with patches. When does she change ? I agree the long johns make her look younger, though, just odd when everyone else had a dress. (Obviously I did not see this tour ! Judging from those clips !)

Natalie
Natalie

May 17th, 2008, 11:20 pm #10

I haven't seen the tour either, but I agree that it looks out of place when everyone else is wearing a dress. But the clips from the Broadway cast look awkward with the dress during the cartwheel, so I was just under the impression that this could be a reason.