Molly Ringwald on TV

Molly Ringwald on TV

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

June 24th, 2008, 12:53 am #1

Molly Ringwald will be playing a mom of a pregnant teen on a new ABC Family series called "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," premiering on Tuesday, July 1st.

Can ABC Family really be producing a series celebrating a teenager's pregnancy? Why has becoming a teen or young mom turned into a cool thing in Hollywood? The creator of this silly TV series is the same woman who created the show, "7th Heaven."

Julie

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

June 24th, 2008, 1:53 pm #2

It reminds me of the movie Molly did back in the 80s (can't recall the name right now) about the high school journalist who gets knocked up.

A friend of mine was a teenage mother, and while she turned it around and now (many, many years later) has a very wonderful and stable life for her daughter (with a new and great husband who treats the daughter like his own), her situation certainly isn't the norm. I worry that shows like this will, however, make it look to be the norm. That everyone has a "happily ever after," despite the situations they put themselves in to.

I never thought ABC Family was really a family network anyway.

old fan
old fan

June 24th, 2008, 2:16 pm #3

Molly Ringwald will be playing a mom of a pregnant teen on a new ABC Family series called "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," premiering on Tuesday, July 1st.

Can ABC Family really be producing a series celebrating a teenager's pregnancy? Why has becoming a teen or young mom turned into a cool thing in Hollywood? The creator of this silly TV series is the same woman who created the show, "7th Heaven."

Julie
..I think we know why ! I'm glad Julie Smith's friend had a successful experience but that is certainly not the norm...TV themes are really crazy lately. Did you hear about the one about "mean girls" trying to outdo one another? Is that another norm??? The Singing Office ??? Oy vey !

Jill W.
Jill W.

June 24th, 2008, 3:59 pm #4

Julie
There's a nice article about Molly Ringwald in the June 30-July 13 issue of "TV Guide." It talks about her new show as well as her career.

CindyS
CindyS

June 24th, 2008, 4:18 pm #5

It reminds me of the movie Molly did back in the 80s (can't recall the name right now) about the high school journalist who gets knocked up.

A friend of mine was a teenage mother, and while she turned it around and now (many, many years later) has a very wonderful and stable life for her daughter (with a new and great husband who treats the daughter like his own), her situation certainly isn't the norm. I worry that shows like this will, however, make it look to be the norm. That everyone has a "happily ever after," despite the situations they put themselves in to.

I don't remember the name of the movie you are referring to, but remember it as being one of my favorites. I thought it was very well made and showed the difficulties facing teenage pregnancies, including both sides of parents with different opinions and views and all the problems associated with being pregnant in high school and the challenges that faced the mother with other students.

french_girl
french_girl

June 24th, 2008, 6:35 pm #6

Julie
are you afraid it would make people think it's the norm to have a kid when you're a teen, and that more teens will have kids ?
not sure... it could as well be good for those who are already teen parents, show them some hope (well i dunno what happens in the show, i just guess), and maybe more people would accept these teen parents instead of looking at them in a bad way if i can say this, feeling supirieur, marginalizing (sp) them etc...
anyway i don't think one show could make any diference, but i guess you are talking about the "tendence" (sp?). (did you see Juno btw ?)even if i don't see there are so many of thoses movies
and it is a reality anyway

i know a teen mom too (maybe she'es not exactly a teen anymore, i dunno her exact age), the father is still around and it seems to be working ok, her little girl is adorable

btw, what is "family channel" or whatever it's called lol (don't remember), and has it something to do with the fact you don't like the idea ?

old fan
old fan

June 24th, 2008, 7:45 pm #7

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/opini ... position=1
It seems that the theme of single parenthood is being "glamorized" in the media lately, and there was a case of a "pact" of teenagers here agreeing to have babies and raise them together with no involvement from the fathers...people see this as bad for society and the problems of single parent homes...of course many single parent homes are wonderful and produce exceptional children. It is a two-sided argument. I don't know what this show will involve exactly....

A "family channel" is supposed to be one that parents can safely let their kids view without concern about theme, language, content etc.

Elise
Elise

June 24th, 2008, 8:04 pm #8

I think the movie your talking about is "For Keeps"

RLS
RLS

June 24th, 2008, 8:50 pm #9

Julie
Especially after that whole teenage "pregnancy pact" as been making such big headlines recently. I'm shocked that they are still going to air that. I think that it is really the wrong message to send to any young girl. They get enough crap shoved down their throats all day, do we really need to tell them it is okay to be a teenage mother, too??? If I had cable, I'd be banning that channel in my household right now, lol....

I know, who doesn't have cable these days...

mom of 6
mom of 6

June 25th, 2008, 12:48 am #10

I've really missed "y'all",lol!! I'm in Atlanta and loving it. I get made fun of on a daily basis for my "northern accent" and the fact that I say "pop" for soda, lol but other than that, it's wonderful!! My husband got his job too!! We are now both at&t employees, so everyone pay their bills, lol!!
Anyways in response to the thread. Has anyone ever heard of teens taking the baby home with the computer chip in it? Sarah did it right before we moved. She had it for the whole weekend. She had to wear a bracelet that detected the baby being near by. It cried every three hours round the clock. She had to take it with her everywhere (so of course we went shopping and to the movies and anyplace I could think of) She toted it around in a baby carrier and had to buckle it properly in the car and everything. Well, I think she had her fill. After not sleeping for 3 nights and still having to go about her day, I think she got a good look at what it would be like.
Well, back to studying for the new job, bye everyone, It was great visiting again