Jill W.
Jill W.

June 25th, 2008, 9:23 pm #21

I agree that this show was silly and unrealistic, but my 8-year old daughter and her friends enjoyed watching it and I can see why this program appealed to them and so many other young girls. Believe me, I'm not disappointed that the show has finished its run. However, had this show been on when I was eight, I'm sure that I would have been glued to the TV screen.

old fan
old fan

June 25th, 2008, 11:00 pm #22

My daughter is older so the show did not appeal to her. Does you daughter know about JLS' situation and does it confuse her ? (This is kinda personal, so only reply if you wish ! I don't want to pry; just curious what the shoe's fans think.) Mine thinks it's fine because they can afford a baby, and she LOVES babies ! So, that's where the worry comes in for some. She also said she would like to watch the Molly R show !!!!!

Laura
Laura

June 26th, 2008, 12:43 am #23

I've really missed "y'all",lol!! I'm in Atlanta and loving it. I get made fun of on a daily basis for my "northern accent" and the fact that I say "pop" for soda, lol but other than that, it's wonderful!! My husband got his job too!! We are now both at&t employees, so everyone pay their bills, lol!!
Anyways in response to the thread. Has anyone ever heard of teens taking the baby home with the computer chip in it? Sarah did it right before we moved. She had it for the whole weekend. She had to wear a bracelet that detected the baby being near by. It cried every three hours round the clock. She had to take it with her everywhere (so of course we went shopping and to the movies and anyplace I could think of) She toted it around in a baby carrier and had to buckle it properly in the car and everything. Well, I think she had her fill. After not sleeping for 3 nights and still having to go about her day, I think she got a good look at what it would be like.
Well, back to studying for the new job, bye everyone, It was great visiting again
My son had this project with a baby also...He had it over the weekend a year ago. He spent the night at his friends house and the "baby" never made a sound, but when I came to pick him up well as he was getting his things into the van, well she cried. He wasn't sure for how long. He was having a heart attack, I am sorry but I couldn't help laughing at the situation. He new he was going to fail. He got a 100.

Jill W.
Jill W.

June 26th, 2008, 2:01 am #24

My daughter is older so the show did not appeal to her. Does you daughter know about JLS' situation and does it confuse her ? (This is kinda personal, so only reply if you wish ! I don't want to pry; just curious what the shoe's fans think.) Mine thinks it's fine because they can afford a baby, and she LOVES babies ! So, that's where the worry comes in for some. She also said she would like to watch the Molly R show !!!!!
She does not know about JL's situation. Even though she fully understands that "Zoey" is just a character that JL plays, my husband and I felt that as a second grader she didn't have the maturity to fully understand JL's situation. Plus, it was JL who got pregnant, not "Zoey."

I did get a chance to talk to some pre-teen girls about what they thought about JL's situation. They were all pretty shocked and disappointed in JL and felt that she should have used better judgment. However, they still liked JL and were going to continue to watch her show. JL also scored a nomination for a Kids Choice Award this year and I'm certain that many of the kids who voted knew she was pregnant.

I'm glad that JL had a healthy baby and wish her well.

old fan
old fan

June 26th, 2008, 12:47 pm #25

Thanks for the reply. I think you used good judgment w/your daughter. Sometimes it is hard for kids to separate characters from the actor/actress, but your daughter sounds mature. I know some kids feel "let down" when a favorite character does something that disappoints them ...

Another Stage Mom
Another Stage Mom

June 26th, 2008, 1:12 pm #26

I never heard of that before! I can't believe Sarah did that! I'm laughing at the thought of you dragging all 6 of your kids around and making Sarah (the OLDEST) take her "doll" with her wherver she goes! LOL.... She must have died! LOL... Though I bet it cured any thought that she might have had going into that that it wouldn't be "that bad"... That should be required at all school across the country.

I'm actually very interested in seeing that new reality show this summer. I don't remember the name, but I think it is on ABC. Something like "Baby Borrowers" maybe? Where the teenagers who want to have babies or think it would be "cool" to have babs "borrow" babies and toddlers for several days and care for them and from the commercials are seemingly "cured" of their desire to have children. Looks interesting. :O)

Thats toooo funny about Sarah, lol...
Here is a link to an article about the TV show:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/arts/ ... ref=slogin

Chrissy
Chrissy

June 27th, 2008, 3:32 am #27

My son had this project with a baby also...He had it over the weekend a year ago. He spent the night at his friends house and the "baby" never made a sound, but when I came to pick him up well as he was getting his things into the van, well she cried. He wasn't sure for how long. He was having a heart attack, I am sorry but I couldn't help laughing at the situation. He new he was going to fail. He got a 100.
I had one of those dolls back in 10th grade. I had to bring it home for the weekend, which meant taking it to my hip-hop class with me on Friday, and taking it shopping with me. I actually did really well with the assignment, I also got a 100 on it. My teacher called my parents the week after I took the baby home and told them she had never seen a student take the assignment so seriously. I wouldn't let anyone touch the baby, not even my mother.

I'm watching a re-run of Baby Borrowers right now, and it's kind of nice seeing the boys take the assignment more seriously than the girls.

RLS
RLS

June 27th, 2008, 5:02 am #28

I didn't realize that show had started already.... What network is t on? I'd like to go online and see if I can watch it on there. :O)

Eliza
Eliza

June 27th, 2008, 8:23 pm #29

I had one of those dolls back in 10th grade. I had to bring it home for the weekend, which meant taking it to my hip-hop class with me on Friday, and taking it shopping with me. I actually did really well with the assignment, I also got a 100 on it. My teacher called my parents the week after I took the baby home and told them she had never seen a student take the assignment so seriously. I wouldn't let anyone touch the baby, not even my mother.

I'm watching a re-run of Baby Borrowers right now, and it's kind of nice seeing the boys take the assignment more seriously than the girls.
Our eighth graders did this at one of my old schools (although we used a program called "CryBabies," which I have since learned was sponsored by a group that also ran pregnancy crisis centers and which was part of California's absurd abstinence-only curriculum, although I think ours was a revamped version).

Aside from the issues above, my concern with any of these programs is that they may have the opposite effect from that which is intended. From what I saw, students received a lot of positive attention during the days when they had the dolls. Rather than, "I am too young to handle having a baby," the take-home message for the youth seemed to be, "Wow, I get a lot of attention when I carry this cute baby around with me. This is cool." While I haven't read any research to support this, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to me to think that, for all of the students who will leave that experience more committed to not having a baby, there will be some students who will come away believing that having a baby will bring them the love and attention they seek. (Heck, the only thing I remember about my own junior high Home and Careers course is getting to carry the egg around and pretend it was a baby! It certainly taught me nothing about caring for children, although I did learn how to make the little My Little Pony carriage I had for it look supercute).

I would be very curious to see some longterm statistics for these programs: I recall reading that the quant. analysis suggested they weren't effective, but I wonder if, more than being ineffective, they actually do more harm than good. To me, this seems far more damaging than young people's knowing that teen moms like Jamie Lynn Spears exist.

old fan
old fan

June 27th, 2008, 10:05 pm #30

I agree, my kids learned nothing from their "egg" experiences, and my daughter also enjoyed buying/ making little accessories including a wig for her "baby." The girls saw it as an art/doll project, and the boys treated it like it was a joke. I think with the baby dolls you are right; they generate more attention, and there is a competition about who is the better "parent." They know it is not permanent.

However, our high school health program is wonderful, and certainly is not the abstinence-only one, which has been proven to do more harm than anything else. I think in theory the baby doll idea is a good one, even if only a few really profit from it. They should definitely get rid of the eggs !