Miami Sat. Matinee Review

Miami Sat. Matinee Review

Debbie
Debbie

December 7th, 2008, 11:57 pm #1

I went to see the show with my husband on Saturday. I have seen both Marissa and Amanda in the past few years. Given that, here is what I thought of the show!

I loved Ivy as Pepper. She had a ton of spunk and her, Madison and Mackenzie were great in You're Never Fully Dressed. I would like to see Madison be given the chance to play Annie. I can see how she has the potential to be great in that role. The thing about these kids above, especially Ivy, is she seemed to be having such a GREAT time on stage and her spunk in Fully Dressed was noticeable. I HATE how they have July say that line in Fully Dressed. It is horrible. I just don't understand why and what the purpose of that direction is.

The rest: I had knocked Miss Hannigan last year, but this time around, I thought she was FABULOUS! Her voice was top notch. Also another standout was A Star to Be! My other likes: Bert Healy and FDR.

On another note: They seemed to change a lot of the kids dialogue and who did what. Madison opened Fully Dressed and did a great job as Kate.

Overall: I thought the show needed more of an upbeat tempo. It did seem tired. This surprised me since it is such a new show. I think this is because there wasn't a lot of spunk. A lot of times I noticed Annie seemed more interested in the gal who was doing sign language for the audience. My advice would be to make sure the kids are having fun. One thing I like about Amanda last year, is she was an amazing actress and always stayed in character. Pretty much the same with Marissa who I thought was very good in the role. Tianna's voice has great potential. Could be a lot like Allison Smith's as the show progresses. However, the way she pronounced certain words and phrases seemed a little different and her voice seemed strained when reaching high notes occassionaly. In I think I'm gonna like it here, where she was suppose to go high, she would go low. This surprised me because her voice is very clear and strong (especially strong at the end of tomorroww) just not consistent. I think given time, the vocals will be GREAT!

All the sets were used as the theatre in Miami is beautiful! I would have been very disappointed to pay full price if the sets weren't used. Luckily that wasn't the case here.

Also, Warbucks' voice was great and Grace was very good in the role as well:)

December 8th, 2008, 12:35 am #2

It's nice to read a review after having seen the show myself!

If anyone wants to know more about Tianna "going low" when she is supposed to sing high notes in "I think I'm Gonna Like it Here" (and "Together at Last"), it is because some of the notes were re-written for her voice, with the highest parts taken out so that she wouldn't have to strain to belt them.

I agree that her voice (which is beautiful) seemed occasionally strained at points, but I think it's because she must be exhausted! That's such a tough role to sing night after night. But she really did a fantastic job getting through the show, and I like her voice very much.

I also agree about the "Who cares what they're wearing" solo. I assumed that they were having July imitate Wacky the puppet ... but it's so much more satisfying when she just sings it out! It's too bad she was directed to do the funny voice.

Just wondering?
Just wondering?

December 8th, 2008, 12:46 am #3

I went to see the show with my husband on Saturday. I have seen both Marissa and Amanda in the past few years. Given that, here is what I thought of the show!

I loved Ivy as Pepper. She had a ton of spunk and her, Madison and Mackenzie were great in You're Never Fully Dressed. I would like to see Madison be given the chance to play Annie. I can see how she has the potential to be great in that role. The thing about these kids above, especially Ivy, is she seemed to be having such a GREAT time on stage and her spunk in Fully Dressed was noticeable. I HATE how they have July say that line in Fully Dressed. It is horrible. I just don't understand why and what the purpose of that direction is.

The rest: I had knocked Miss Hannigan last year, but this time around, I thought she was FABULOUS! Her voice was top notch. Also another standout was A Star to Be! My other likes: Bert Healy and FDR.

On another note: They seemed to change a lot of the kids dialogue and who did what. Madison opened Fully Dressed and did a great job as Kate.

Overall: I thought the show needed more of an upbeat tempo. It did seem tired. This surprised me since it is such a new show. I think this is because there wasn't a lot of spunk. A lot of times I noticed Annie seemed more interested in the gal who was doing sign language for the audience. My advice would be to make sure the kids are having fun. One thing I like about Amanda last year, is she was an amazing actress and always stayed in character. Pretty much the same with Marissa who I thought was very good in the role. Tianna's voice has great potential. Could be a lot like Allison Smith's as the show progresses. However, the way she pronounced certain words and phrases seemed a little different and her voice seemed strained when reaching high notes occassionaly. In I think I'm gonna like it here, where she was suppose to go high, she would go low. This surprised me because her voice is very clear and strong (especially strong at the end of tomorroww) just not consistent. I think given time, the vocals will be GREAT!

All the sets were used as the theatre in Miami is beautiful! I would have been very disappointed to pay full price if the sets weren't used. Luckily that wasn't the case here.

Did they leave the key lower as it was last year? Or is it in the key that Marissa sang Tomorrow?

Debbie
Debbie

December 8th, 2008, 12:51 am #4

I don't think it was Marissa's key. Probably more in the lines of Amanda's. It wasn't a low key but just not as high as Marissa's. I was actually surprised on the 30th anniversary how high Marissa sang the songs in.

Annie
Annie

December 8th, 2008, 2:59 am #5

The original key is higher. If you look at you tube videos of Annie. The original key seems high.

AnnnieFan2
AnnnieFan2

December 8th, 2008, 4:12 am #6

We must have been at two different shows that afternoon. I thought the cast was great. Tianna made a fine Annie. My daughter hasn't stopped talking about the show. Check out the Miami Herald Review: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainmen ... 98418.html

AnnieFan2
AnnieFan2

December 8th, 2008, 4:15 am #7

That was supposed to say Miami Herald....LOL.....nmi

Just Wondering!
Just Wondering!

December 8th, 2008, 1:54 pm #8

We must have been at two different shows that afternoon. I thought the cast was great. Tianna made a fine Annie. My daughter hasn't stopped talking about the show. Check out the Miami Herald Review: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainmen ... 98418.html
The review above from "Debbie" was great! I was just asking about Keys and they do get changed. Judy Garland had the key changed for Somewhere over the Rainbow. It was originally higher.

What I read from the poster's review was she enjoyed the show.

December 8th, 2008, 2:32 pm #9

I think the review really got it right.

Notice how they talk about the "hamminess," "over-size acting," and "going way overboard" ? That's what I was talking about in my review -- the show has become a Disney-esque spectacle. It's not the actors' faults!

Max=)
Max=)

December 8th, 2008, 7:21 pm #10

I don't think it was Marissa's key. Probably more in the lines of Amanda's. It wasn't a low key but just not as high as Marissa's. I was actually surprised on the 30th anniversary how high Marissa sang the songs in.
I wrote about keys in another thread down below, but here goes again. I´m somehow interested in keys:-).

Marissa O´Donnell, Rosanne Sorrentino, Brittny Kissinger and Sarah Jessica Parker (among others) sang Tomorrow in F. Andrea McArdle, Louanne, Allison Smith, and Alison Kirk (also among others) sang in F# (a halftone higher). I have not checked what key they used for Amanda Balon.

By the way, I love all theese girls renditions of Tomorrow, no matter what key they are in. They are all different and fabulous!

Sincerely Max=)