MARTIN CHARNIN

maryanne
maryanne

May 2nd, 2008, 3:44 am #1

Just wacthed Julie's film, one thing I cannot let slide.

Martin Charnin.

He certainley takes enormous personal pleasure in lording over every casting session. He coud have someone pre screen for him, but he wants to be right there on the front lines grabbing little girl's shoulder, "I WANT YOU!" scorning and dismissing others, they can skiddatle OR "WE HAVE A VERY TOUGH DECISION AND WE HAVE NOT MADE IT [YET...SOOO...DONT LOSE ANY SLEEP!" sarcastic, arrogant sob!

He's sadistic and creepy. He loves plopping those lucky little waifs on his knees and giving then the good news. But delivering the bad? He is nowhere to be found! Poor pretty Kristin Vigard. He could not facce it. A stagehand was elected to deliver the news. Joanna, obviiously out of her league but Martin' choice afterall, had to avoid a face to face with the little girl he picked, so sent this shy little 12 year old a FAX IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT saying shehas been fired!! He can't sac up and have an honest conversation with a 10 yeat old that HE HAS HIRED. Unbelievable! it this very reason that kristen and joana are so screwed up today. shame on him. shame on him.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 2nd, 2008, 6:27 am #2

Maryanne:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, this board may not be the most appropriate place for such harsh criticism of Martin. Since none of us were there when the firings happened, we can only speculate as to why Martin did not deliver the news himself. I can say with certainty, though, that there was nothing "creepy" about Martin or the way he treated any of the children - in terms of putting us on his lap. In fact, I can't ever remember a time I sat on his lap or felt anything but fatherly affection from him as a child. Your impressions of his "power" at auditions is somewhat accurate - Martin did run them and was the prominent decision maker, from our perspective as children. We were praised by him, cut by him, and given the job by him, so he played a very significant part in all of our lives and careers. The same would be true for most of the adult cast members that I spoke to after "Life After Tomorrow" came out - they all credited Martin with giving them their first job, helping them get their Equity card, and giving them an opportunity of a lifetime.

So whatever your impression of him may be after seeing "Life After Tomorrow," just know that we are all still grateful to Martin for the opportunity he gave us, regardless of how he comes across.

Julie

Noel
Noel

May 2nd, 2008, 6:45 am #3

Martin Charnin.

He certainley takes enormous personal pleasure in lording over every casting session. He coud have someone pre screen for him, but he wants to be right there on the front lines grabbing little girl's shoulder, "I WANT YOU!" scorning and dismissing others, they can skiddatle OR "WE HAVE A VERY TOUGH DECISION AND WE HAVE NOT MADE IT [YET...SOOO...DONT LOSE ANY SLEEP!" sarcastic, arrogant sob!

He's sadistic and creepy. He loves plopping those lucky little waifs on his knees and giving then the good news. But delivering the bad? He is nowhere to be found! Poor pretty Kristin Vigard. He could not facce it. A stagehand was elected to deliver the news. Joanna, obviiously out of her league but Martin' choice afterall, had to avoid a face to face with the little girl he picked, so sent this shy little 12 year old a FAX IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT saying shehas been fired!! He can't sac up and have an honest conversation with a 10 yeat old that HE HAS HIRED. Unbelievable! it this very reason that kristen and joana are so screwed up today. shame on him. shame on him.
I don't know either girl (woman) personally, however, I see something quite the opposite of what you stated: "it this very reason that kristen and joana are so screwed up today."

They seem like amazingly strong, resilent and very talented women, who turned out to be anything but screwed up.

old fan
old fan

May 2nd, 2008, 1:34 pm #4

Martin Charnin.

..who told Kristen Vigard about being replaced. it was the producer Michael Price, if I recall correctly. He said on Turning Point how difficult this was and he was glad his kids were not on show biz.

maryanne
maryanne

May 2nd, 2008, 2:01 pm #5

I don't know either girl (woman) personally, however, I see something quite the opposite of what you stated: "it this very reason that kristen and joana are so screwed up today."

They seem like amazingly strong, resilent and very talented women, who turned out to be anything but screwed up.
You can honestly say that Kristin, from having watched the documentary, is perfectly well adjusted and that the firing at the hands of michael price does not affect her to this day????? and that joanna, who admits to essentially blacking out the entire experience and having gone into physical shock, was not effected by the traumatic manner in which it was handled???

maryanne
maryanne

May 2nd, 2008, 2:49 pm #6

Maryanne:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, this board may not be the most appropriate place for such harsh criticism of Martin. Since none of us were there when the firings happened, we can only speculate as to why Martin did not deliver the news himself. I can say with certainty, though, that there was nothing "creepy" about Martin or the way he treated any of the children - in terms of putting us on his lap. In fact, I can't ever remember a time I sat on his lap or felt anything but fatherly affection from him as a child. Your impressions of his "power" at auditions is somewhat accurate - Martin did run them and was the prominent decision maker, from our perspective as children. We were praised by him, cut by him, and given the job by him, so he played a very significant part in all of our lives and careers. The same would be true for most of the adult cast members that I spoke to after "Life After Tomorrow" came out - they all credited Martin with giving them their first job, helping them get their Equity card, and giving them an opportunity of a lifetime.

So whatever your impression of him may be after seeing "Life After Tomorrow," just know that we are all still grateful to Martin for the opportunity he gave us, regardless of how he comes across.

Julie
You're right, I am sorry i sounded harsh. i got a very strong reaction from the documentary and from both the girl's stories who had gotten the boot in such a sneaky and indirect manner. I do feel strongly that if Martin had spoken directly to these girls, he would have made the transition for them so much easier. They liked and respected him. And after all, it WAS his mistake. Firing a child cannot be easy but is so much harder for the child than for the firer. If I were him I would have done anything to help make it easier for those little girls. Does anyone disagree?

Laura
Laura

May 2nd, 2008, 3:32 pm #7

Martin Charnin.

I disagree that Kristen and Joanna are "screwed up". Do they have some bad memories from the experience, yes! My daughter who was in the business is still upset that I missed her starring role in a children's theater production she did when she was 9 years old. A totally well adjusted young woman who had numerous wonderful experiences in professional theater and this is the memory she consistently brings up. A friend's daughter who booked a lead role in a Mariah Carey film-so excited told everyone-then was replaced by a family friend (the movie tanked, was probably a blessing)is still devastated by the experience, but her life went on and she is a well adjusted young adult. Unfortunately, in business these things happen. If you choose to participate in this business there are bound to be heartaches. As far as Martin not being the one to tell the girls. My daughter toured with a Martin Annie production and went through the audition process numerous times. He is hands on throughout the entire audition process and the initial rehearsals, but after that he generally steps back and puts the show in the hands of the stage manager. Perhaps because he is so involved and is so vested in the girls he picks it was too hard for him emotionally to be the one to let the girls go. If while he was in the process he was emotional it might make the firing even harder on the child. Just a thought. Our family has never had anything but positive experiences with Martin and would never look at thim as anything other than a dedicated professional. We are crazy enough to be going through the entire thing all over again with our youngest daughter for the current tour!!

maryanne
maryanne

May 2nd, 2008, 5:19 pm #8

Point taken, but seriously, how would your daughter feel if she was fired via a fax? I have had to let many people go through my years as a professional person. I could never, would never fathom doing that under any circumstances. Not in a million years. When I think of that poor little girl being so disrespected, so unnecessarily humiliated, it breaks my heart.

old fan
old fan

May 2nd, 2008, 5:55 pm #9

..from what I have seen or read...and I don't think Joanna was "out of her league" at all. I think we will just never know the entire story of Joanna's firing. Both ladies have indeed moved on, although naturally the incidents impacted their lives.

Tori
Tori

May 2nd, 2008, 6:48 pm #10

Martin Charnin.

I bet there will be a tell all book some day about him. There is something not right about him. I met him twice in Seattle.