Makeup on Orphans

Natalie
Natalie

1:16 AM - May 19, 2008 #1

Hi! I was a little confused when I heard that the orphans on this tour don't where makeup. Is that normal? Every show I've ever known has used stage makeup on everyone. Is there a reason for this?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

1:37 AM - May 19, 2008 #2

None of the kids wore makeup when I was in "Annie," mostly because we were supposed to look like street kids. They don't use makeup on kids very often in film and television, either, unless they are playing a specific type of character or it is a period piece.

Julie

Dina
Dina

1:41 AM - May 19, 2008 #3

They don't even used pressed powder to take away the shininess from the lights onstage/on the set? Or do they just have the makeup people come around to blot them with a puff and a powder compact every so often? When I went to see "The View" in NYC a few years ago, they were constantly coming up to the women during commercials and blotting them to take away any shininess from the lights.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

1:52 AM - May 19, 2008 #4

In film/TV, they do blot the sweat or dust with powder but kids don't generally sweat as much as adults. I just finished working 3 days on a film with a few kids and we were shooting in Valencia, where the temperature has been over 100 degrees all 3 days. Ugh, I'm so glad to be home now and I've just finished taking a cold shower.

Julie

Natalie
Natalie

1:52 AM - May 19, 2008 #5

None of the kids wore makeup when I was in "Annie," mostly because we were supposed to look like street kids. They don't use makeup on kids very often in film and television, either, unless they are playing a specific type of character or it is a period piece.

Julie
Thanks for your response. I never knew that. I always thought stage makeup was a must so that faces wouldn't be washed out. I've never done a professional show, but I've always had makeup in school shows, for boys and girls.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

2:01 AM - May 19, 2008 #6

I think the problem is that kids usually put on too much makeup or they use the wrong kind of makeup. Stage makeup and film/TV makeup are very different. Now that most TV show are shooting in High Definition, the makeup has changed again, because you can see every pore and pimple on HD. Try watching Cameron Diaz on a High Def TV and you'll see what horrible skin and acne she has. I think most Broadway shows are lit really well, so kids don't usually need makeup. The kids in "Les Mis," for instance, do wear makeup because in the scene where Cosette sings "Castle on a Cloud," she is supposed to be dirty and poor. So for that show, they usually smear some brown cream eye shadow on the cheeks of the kid, to make her appear dirty.

Julie

Natalie
Natalie

2:17 AM - May 19, 2008 #7

Thanks so much for your insight! You learn something new everyday!

Noel
Noel

2:48 AM - May 19, 2008 #8

Hi! I was a little confused when I heard that the orphans on this tour don't where makeup. Is that normal? Every show I've ever known has used stage makeup on everyone. Is there a reason for this?
I believe there is a picture of Lauren Gaffney in the book that follows her journey during Annie Warbucks that shows her putting powder on her face with a big poofy makeup brush before opening night at Goodspeed, but perhaps they just had her do that for the photo.

old fan
old fan

12:39 PM - May 19, 2008 #9

Julie
I thought I saw some old orphans photos where they appear to "dirt" on their faces; the tours, not OBC. Could be wrong ! And, Shelley B said in her book kids would try to "sneakk" make-up on, so they would stand out, but got in trouble for it.

old fan
old fan

6:13 PM - May 19, 2008 #10