Lucy Barker in Spring Awakening

Lucy Barker in Spring Awakening

KellyTX
KellyTX

October 25th, 2008, 6:44 pm #1

Looks like former London Annie Lucy Barker will be in the London Premier of Spring Awakening! I hope someone is able to go and will let us know how fantastic she is!! I can't believe she's so grown up now...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/122731.html

sks
sks

October 25th, 2008, 6:49 pm #2

It seems like so many shows are closing in the same time period. "Hairspray" was to close on January 18th although they were hoping for an extension until March. Now they found out it is two weeks earlier with a closing date of January 4th. "Spamalot" is closing on January 18th and now "Spring Awakening" is set to close January 18th. My thoughts are the economy is not so good right now and people aren't traveling or going to as many shows right now. Thoughts?

Annie Fan
Annie Fan

October 25th, 2008, 8:24 pm #3

I wonder what the significance is for so many shows chosing to close on the same day....... Jan 18th will be a popular (yet sad) day in NYC!

Rachel
Rachel

October 25th, 2008, 9:09 pm #4

January is typically a very popular time for shows to close because the holidays are prime tourist season. By January, the tourists have left and the weather is so unpleasant (cold, snow, ice, etc.) that people don't go out as much. As for why so many shows are closing, I have no doubt that in a better economy, "Spring Awakening" would have had a very long run. Broadway is being hurt by the economy just like every other industry. People can't afford to travel here and those who live here can't splurge as much as they used to. A lot of shows are surviving on discount tickets because people simply can't pay $120 for seats right now. For most people, going to see a Broadway show is a luxury and a treat and those are the kinds of expenses that people are cutting from their budgets by necessity right now.

Rachel

aks
aks

October 26th, 2008, 3:05 am #5

It seems like so many shows are closing in the same time period. "Hairspray" was to close on January 18th although they were hoping for an extension until March. Now they found out it is two weeks earlier with a closing date of January 4th. "Spamalot" is closing on January 18th and now "Spring Awakening" is set to close January 18th. My thoughts are the economy is not so good right now and people aren't traveling or going to as many shows right now. Thoughts?
It must be tough on these performers to look for new work while finishing out the Broadway run. I'm glad to hear that Bailey Hanks already has another show lined up although it isn't on Broadway.

Elin
Elin

October 26th, 2008, 4:58 am #6

Looks like former London Annie Lucy Barker will be in the London Premier of Spring Awakening! I hope someone is able to go and will let us know how fantastic she is!! I can't believe she's so grown up now...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/122731.html

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

October 26th, 2008, 1:40 pm #7

I wonder what the significance is for so many shows chosing to close on the same day....... Jan 18th will be a popular (yet sad) day in NYC!
On January 2, 1983, two other shows besides Annie closed on the same day. The New York Times carried a picture of the 5 Annies on the front page, the first time that a Broadway show's closing ever made Page 1.

french_girl
french_girl

October 26th, 2008, 10:31 pm #8

closing already ? but the show is rather new isn't it ?

that's a pity..

you're right about less people traveling though.
we have american friends who won't come because of the economy
and we didn't go to new york although we thought about it