Louanne and Lena Zavaroni .....

Louanne and Lena Zavaroni .....

old fan
old fan

May 3rd, 2008, 3:54 pm #1

I watched that cute Louanne video posted below, and loved it...I reread Jon Merrill's Louanne page, which describes her yellow dress being patched out of two older dresses, and the ribbons being from an old gift box...apparently she had only one good outfit...she was emancipated by the court at age 16...her early life was really sad (parts of it) I also read that she was inspired to sing "Ma !" on the Gong Show, by UK child star Lena Zavaroni, who had a lot of talent and a VERY sad life, dying from anorexia...if you're interested, google her...I had never heard of her, and it is interesting that she was Louanne's inspiration...There are a lot of Lena's YouTubes, as well, available. It was such a tragic ending to a talented life.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 3rd, 2008, 4:37 pm #2

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

May 3rd, 2008, 5:39 pm #3

I watched that cute Louanne video posted below, and loved it...I reread Jon Merrill's Louanne page, which describes her yellow dress being patched out of two older dresses, and the ribbons being from an old gift box...apparently she had only one good outfit...she was emancipated by the court at age 16...her early life was really sad (parts of it) I also read that she was inspired to sing "Ma !" on the Gong Show, by UK child star Lena Zavaroni, who had a lot of talent and a VERY sad life, dying from anorexia...if you're interested, google her...I had never heard of her, and it is interesting that she was Louanne's inspiration...There are a lot of Lena's YouTubes, as well, available. It was such a tragic ending to a talented life.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

old fan
old fan

May 3rd, 2008, 6:38 pm #4

...it really touched me. I felt so sad for this talented little girl who became an emotionally disturbed anorexic young woman, because her career was forced, just as she was "forced" to wear clothes too small for her adolescent body...there is an important message here. I also thought it was interesting that Louanne (or her mom/manager ?) found this child as someone to emulate, before Lena's problems were apparent. A life was lost, and how many more ?

Noel
Noel

May 4th, 2008, 2:11 am #5

Very interesting and informative. Thank you both for the postings and the links.

Jamie Benetto
Jamie Benetto

May 5th, 2008, 2:53 am #6

Hi this is the first time I've posted I am a former Annie so I just got interested in reading the posts but I just thought I'd tell you all that I used a Lena Zavaroni version of "Rock A Bye Your Baby With Dixie Melody" as my audition when I got the part. I used to listen to a record my mom had and sing to it.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 5th, 2008, 3:04 am #7

Brilliant. She was way toooo talented for Annie but she would have acted and sang the heck out of that part.

I haven't watched the youtube video but know what it's about. It made watching this all the more poignant.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but it brought tears to my eyes; first because she was such an amazing talent and second, because of her death.

Wow, indeed.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 5th, 2008, 3:23 am #8

What DUMB-*SS doctor does a lobotomy because a patient asks for it?!?!?!

First, lobotomies were no longer being used as a means to treat depression (since the 50s at least). It was recognized a long time ago that it wasn't effective and the risk of losing higher functioning was too great.

Poor Lena.

There was a woman, somewhere in Europe, who asked to be euthanized because she didn't want to live with anorexia anymore. Her wish was granted! And no, this was not 30, 40 or 50 years ago when very little was known about anorexia. This was in the late 90s.

Noel
Noel

May 5th, 2008, 4:45 am #9

I didn't really understand that part at the end about the operation. I thought that seemed illegal, immoral, unethical or something and I was shocked to him them say the doctor agreed to do it.

So so sad.

Noel
Noel

May 5th, 2008, 4:50 am #10

Brilliant. She was way toooo talented for Annie but she would have acted and sang the heck out of that part.

I haven't watched the youtube video but know what it's about. It made watching this all the more poignant.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but it brought tears to my eyes; first because she was such an amazing talent and second, because of her death.

Wow, indeed.
No...you are not a weirdo, it did the same thing to me.