MIddleAgedFan!
MIddleAgedFan!

May 6th, 2008, 1:55 pm #21

Does anyone know what role her parents played in her life? They must second guess letting her go off to London every minute of their life now if they're still around.

It kind of reminds me of Patty Duke who went off to live with her agents at a very young age too. While Patty may have survived, she had a rough road too.
They gave her a lobotomy instead of treating her anorexia?

mIddleAgedFan!
mIddleAgedFan!

May 6th, 2008, 1:57 pm #22

But you know what is sad, Julie? No "stage mom" believes their child is treated unkindly. Or, it's the "I would never put my child's emotional welfare above performing."
In other words, stage parents don't see what they do, despite their efforts. Think Miley Cyrus.
right

maryanne
maryanne

May 6th, 2008, 2:15 pm #23

Yes, true, they are done for other medical conditions but NOT depression. That is akin to hosing patients with cold water or submerging them into a cold tub. It just isn't done.

And the lobotomies for epilepsy, etc. aren't the same part of the brain, they're partial, and have scientific proof of the effectiveness - that can't be said for depression.

But the bigger point is, what freaking idiot doctor AGREED to it just because a patient wanted it?!
I agree completely. My brother is a neuro surgeon and I asked him about this. He said he had never heard of this practice, and further that she seemed way too weak and ravaged from the severe anorexia that she never could have withstood that type of surgery. So sad. What a beautiful effervescent child.

old fan
old fan

May 6th, 2008, 2:17 pm #24

right
...and Lena felt her depression was her main problem, and long ago, lobotomies were done to treat depression, and only 2 hospitals in 1999 still did them...she begged to have it done and threatened another attempt at suicide if they refused. Apparently a board had to approve the procedure and sadly, they did. But I don't know how how any medical team could reach this decision on a patient who weighed under 70 lbs etc. She was a great risk for any surgery.

Dina
Dina

May 6th, 2008, 10:55 pm #25

What you said makes a lot of sense.