old fan
old fan

May 5th, 2008, 12:52 pm #11

Hi this is the first time I've posted I am a former Annie so I just got interested in reading the posts but I just thought I'd tell you all that I used a Lena Zavaroni version of "Rock A Bye Your Baby With Dixie Melody" as my audition when I got the part. I used to listen to a record my mom had and sing to it.
...she was SO talented. Lots of people saw her amazing talent and how she poured herself into the songs What is sad, and makes me angry, is the way her career was mismanaged, as they said in the video. Her talent was nurtured, but not the girl. She felt she had to stay a little girl with a big voice, because that was what people loved her for, but I believe her career caused her anorexia and depression, and I also don't know why there were two remaining hospitals performing lobotomies on a high-risk surgical candidate. (ECT is bad enough. I have seen it, long ago, as a nursing student in my psych rotation) I just can't get Lena's image out of my mind, the way her beautiful eyes were glistening with tears as she sang "You Needed Me", with obvious anorexia. Not to say every girl in show biz is at risk for anorexia and depression, but with Lena, the signs were apparent very early, and I think her story is a warning to everyone with a child who pursues a career as a young person.
Really, any child.

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

May 5th, 2008, 1:25 pm #12

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Does anyone know what role her parents played in her life? They must second guess letting her go off to London every minute of their life now if they're still around.

It kind of reminds me of Patty Duke who went off to live with her agents at a very young age too. While Patty may have survived, she had a rough road too.

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

May 5th, 2008, 1:27 pm #13

I didn't really understand that part at the end about the operation. I thought that seemed illegal, immoral, unethical or something and I was shocked to him them say the doctor agreed to do it.

So so sad.
That shocked me too. I wonder if the complications were because nobody does lobotomies anymore and they didn't really know how to handle the post-op care?

old fan
old fan

May 5th, 2008, 1:58 pm #14

Does anyone know what role her parents played in her life? They must second guess letting her go off to London every minute of their life now if they're still around.

It kind of reminds me of Patty Duke who went off to live with her agents at a very young age too. While Patty may have survived, she had a rough road too.
..on one of the clips I watched, it said her mom committed suicide with an overdose, she lived with her manager in London (she was from Scotland) from age 10, and I don't know if the Performing Arts school she attended where she was so unhappy, was a boarding school or not. Her other relatives seemed to take more of an interest in her, like the cousins interviewed, but she started to lose weight while at school. Her parents were both musical. I think it said she was still close to her father but he had remarried and she felt isolated. I honestly can't get her story out of my mind, so tragic.

old fan
old fan

May 5th, 2008, 2:12 pm #15

That shocked me too. I wonder if the complications were because nobody does lobotomies anymore and they didn't really know how to handle the post-op care?
..I think she probably died due to complications from her very low weight, which can affect the heart, among other systems. They still do lobotomies for epilepsy, cancer etc with good results.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm #16

Yes, true, they are done for other medical conditions but NOT depression. That is akin to hosing patients with cold water or submerging them into a cold tub. It just isn't done.

And the lobotomies for epilepsy, etc. aren't the same part of the brain, they're partial, and have scientific proof of the effectiveness - that can't be said for depression.

But the bigger point is, what freaking idiot doctor AGREED to it just because a patient wanted it?!

old fan
old fan

May 5th, 2008, 4:05 pm #17

As I was in Canada during Lena's period of fame, singing for the US President etc, was she a household name ? I can't believe I never heard of her ?

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 5th, 2008, 11:59 pm #18

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
But you know what is sad, Julie? No "stage mom" believes their child is treated unkindly. Or, it's the "I would never put my child's emotional welfare above performing."
In other words, stage parents don't see what they do, despite their efforts. Think Miley Cyrus.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 6th, 2008, 2:24 am #19

As I was in Canada during Lena's period of fame, singing for the US President etc, was she a household name ? I can't believe I never heard of her ?
I had never heard of her. However, watching the Jonny Carson clip, I felt like I had seen her before but I can't imagine where. She is three years older than I am so I would have been too young to remember her. Maybe it was just seeing the old Jonny Carson set that made me think I had seen her. I'm old now. I don't know!

I'm still thinking of that performance, though, on Jonny Carson. Seriously. She had major talent. She didn't 'act' while singing that song, like so many child stars aka pageant girls
She became the song. You can't fake that. Totally brilliant and amazing.

sks
sks

May 6th, 2008, 1:35 pm #20

In response to Julie's "Wow". I agree about the voice- incredible wow! However, the choice of song for someone that age was so poor in my opinion. Even at that age, there was something very sad in her. What a shame!