K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 20th, 2008, 9:35 pm #21

...I really enjoyed Shelley's book, because it had so much Annie info and behind-the-scenes stuff, and lots of great photos, BUT I tend to agree with K-the-O about Shelley. In subtle ways she kind of criticized both Andrea and Alyson Kirk, some of the orphans, and put herself in the best light possible. Of course why would you put yourself down in an autobiography, but I didn't like how she repeated all the positive things ever said about her, bragged about everything down to her fur coat and silk blouses ,and how in demand she was even after leaving the show....I also thought the parallels she drew between Annie's story and her own life were far-fetched, but I guess that was the key to selling the book. I would recommend it to any Annie fan because of the interesting details, but Shelley's personality came across to me(IMHO) as a braggart and show-off show biz kid, denying it all the way.
You said it much better than I did

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

July 20th, 2008, 9:37 pm #22

Agree about the "pat myself on back" attitude in the book. But as far as wheedling into the production I think things were different back then. I think she saw an opportunity and went for it. Didn't Julie get into Annie but "dropping in" on a rehearsal until she got noticed. Hey, why not!? Julie and Shelly both deserved the parts and had the talent so if you have an "in" - go for it! If Julie hadn't done what she did .... there would possibly be no forum today!
But with Julie, she stumbled upon an open audition and then asked to join.

Shelly, it SEEMED, went under the guise of "just hanging out" but had ulterior motives.

It's a cut-throat business so, ya know, I guess do what you have to do. I just didn't like her attitude.

Debbie
Debbie

July 20th, 2008, 10:05 pm #23

My post was meant to be positive about you. I was just saying that Shelly had the opportunity and took it (and it worked) and you found an opportunity and took it. Kudos to both of you. No, you didn't know anyone in the show but you were given an opportunity to show them your talent and you did. I think most would have taken either one of your opportunities if they had the chance.

Sorry for the confusion!
What happened with your experience? That sounds awesome to get backstage. You must have been a very brave kid:)

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 21st, 2008, 2:21 am #24

Debbie:

I tell a bit of the story in "Life After Tomorrow." I innocently walked through the stage door, ended up backstage during an understudy rehearsal, was approached by the stage manager who invited me to come on stage and sing "Happy Birthday," was told to come back a few hours later, where I ended up crashing a 3rd round of callbacks for "Annie." It was my first audition ever and I was eventually cut, but it motivated me to get a manager, take some voice lessons, and I ended up back in New York a few months later, where I did get cast in a role.

Julie

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

July 23rd, 2008, 8:38 am #25

My post was meant to be positive about you. I was just saying that Shelly had the opportunity and took it (and it worked) and you found an opportunity and took it. Kudos to both of you. No, you didn't know anyone in the show but you were given an opportunity to show them your talent and you did. I think most would have taken either one of your opportunities if they had the chance.

Sorry for the confusion!
a child actor and her stage mother, in big old NYC, happening onto the alvin theatre, stumbling inadvertently through the backstage door where an understudy rehearsal was gong on.....smells....well....at least like a comical happenstance. Sometime sweird things happen like thay. I guessi

Laura
Laura

July 23rd, 2008, 8:50 pm #26

...I didn't realize that the doc was YOURS and that was you doing the interviewing..oops ! You did a terrific job, and I enjoyed it, as I said. Are you the Laura who posts here occasionally or a new
contributor ? Great topic...you'll earn an A for sure !
Hi!

Thanks again! I do occasionally post on the forum, but mostly just read. I love this forum and have been coming to it for the past few years - so many great topics are talked about!

Regarding the project - I did end up getting an A! Talk to you all soon.

- Laura

old fan
old fan

July 23rd, 2008, 11:09 pm #27

...I am not surprised !

Laura (Laura L)
Laura (Laura L)

July 24th, 2008, 2:38 am #28

I am going to post from now on as Laura L because there are a few Laura's - just so no one gets mixed up!

- Laura

www.KidsoftheArts.com

Cecile (France)
Cecile (France)

July 24th, 2008, 8:38 am #29

a child actor and her stage mother, in big old NYC, happening onto the alvin theatre, stumbling inadvertently through the backstage door where an understudy rehearsal was gong on.....smells....well....at least like a comical happenstance. Sometime sweird things happen like thay. I guessi
I don't see anything weird in the fact she would have been in the Broadway neighborhood considering she already was in show business and probably crazy about Annie like a lot of other little girls at the time, she would have wanted to see the theatre where it was taking place and that she would walk right through the stage door, kids that age are bold, I know I would have gone in and probably still would today if I had the occasion!

ten
ten

July 27th, 2008, 1:56 am #30

You said it much better than I did
She also weasled into the understudy part by making friends with Sasha Chamin