old fan
old fan

July 20th, 2008, 7:08 pm #11

...I really enjoyed Shelley's book, because it had so much Annie info and behind-the-scenes stuff, and lots of great photos, BUT I tend to agree with K-the-O about Shelley. In subtle ways she kind of criticized both Andrea and Alyson Kirk, some of the orphans, and put herself in the best light possible. Of course why would you put yourself down in an autobiography, but I didn't like how she repeated all the positive things ever said about her, bragged about everything down to her fur coat and silk blouses ,and how in demand she was even after leaving the show....I also thought the parallels she drew between Annie's story and her own life were far-fetched, but I guess that was the key to selling the book. I would recommend it to any Annie fan because of the interesting details, but Shelley's personality came across to me(IMHO) as a braggart and show-off show biz kid, denying it all the way.

Laura
Laura

July 20th, 2008, 7:23 pm #12

http://youtube.com/watch?v=149HAEsdXyQ

featuring Marissa O'Donnell, Matthew Gumley, Dylan Riley Snyder, Marlon Sherman, Devynn Pedell and Alex Scheitinger
Thank you guys for you nice comments on the video! It was a lot of fun to do, the kids were all so nice - parents too. The version online is a little shorter than the real one (I cut parts out to fit it on youtube) and for some reason the ending credits don't work - oh well! Enjoy

- Laura

www.KidsoftheArts.com

NYCMom
NYCMom

July 20th, 2008, 7:42 pm #13

...I really enjoyed Shelley's book, because it had so much Annie info and behind-the-scenes stuff, and lots of great photos, BUT I tend to agree with K-the-O about Shelley. In subtle ways she kind of criticized both Andrea and Alyson Kirk, some of the orphans, and put herself in the best light possible. Of course why would you put yourself down in an autobiography, but I didn't like how she repeated all the positive things ever said about her, bragged about everything down to her fur coat and silk blouses ,and how in demand she was even after leaving the show....I also thought the parallels she drew between Annie's story and her own life were far-fetched, but I guess that was the key to selling the book. I would recommend it to any Annie fan because of the interesting details, but Shelley's personality came across to me(IMHO) as a braggart and show-off show biz kid, denying it all the way.
I also liked the book for the same reason, but agree about the braggart aspect of it.

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

July 20th, 2008, 7:57 pm #14

Agree about the "pat myself on back" attitude in the book. But as far as wheedling into the production I think things were different back then. I think she saw an opportunity and went for it. Didn't Julie get into Annie but "dropping in" on a rehearsal until she got noticed. Hey, why not!? Julie and Shelly both deserved the parts and had the talent so if you have an "in" - go for it! If Julie hadn't done what she did .... there would possibly be no forum today!

Debbie
Debbie

July 20th, 2008, 8:15 pm #15

Where do you get the book?

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 20th, 2008, 8:26 pm #16

Agree about the "pat myself on back" attitude in the book. But as far as wheedling into the production I think things were different back then. I think she saw an opportunity and went for it. Didn't Julie get into Annie but "dropping in" on a rehearsal until she got noticed. Hey, why not!? Julie and Shelly both deserved the parts and had the talent so if you have an "in" - go for it! If Julie hadn't done what she did .... there would possibly be no forum today!
Um, I can assure you that my "dropping in" on an understudy rehearsal was pure coincidence. I happened to be in NYC for an interview with a modeling agency, had never even seen "Annie," and had no idea that a person should not just walk through the backstage door without an invitation - I'll always wonder why the security guard was not there. My experience was not planned, nor did I know anyone in the show.

Julie

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 20th, 2008, 8:29 pm #17

Where do you get the book?
There are lots of them listed on Amazon, in their used book section.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... f=dp_olp_2

Julie

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 20th, 2008, 8:30 pm #18

Thank you guys for you nice comments on the video! It was a lot of fun to do, the kids were all so nice - parents too. The version online is a little shorter than the real one (I cut parts out to fit it on youtube) and for some reason the ending credits don't work - oh well! Enjoy

- Laura

www.KidsoftheArts.com
Laura:

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed your video. I hope you got a good grade for it.

Julie Stevens
owner, annieorphans.com

AnnieFan65
AnnieFan65

July 20th, 2008, 8:40 pm #19

Um, I can assure you that my "dropping in" on an understudy rehearsal was pure coincidence. I happened to be in NYC for an interview with a modeling agency, had never even seen "Annie," and had no idea that a person should not just walk through the backstage door without an invitation - I'll always wonder why the security guard was not there. My experience was not planned, nor did I know anyone in the show.

Julie
My post was meant to be positive about you. I was just saying that Shelly had the opportunity and took it (and it worked) and you found an opportunity and took it. Kudos to both of you. No, you didn't know anyone in the show but you were given an opportunity to show them your talent and you did. I think most would have taken either one of your opportunities if they had the chance.

Sorry for the confusion!

old fan
old fan

July 20th, 2008, 8:50 pm #20

- Laura

www.KidsoftheArts.com
...I didn't realize that the doc was YOURS and that was you doing the interviewing..oops ! You did a terrific job, and I enjoyed it, as I said. Are you the Laura who posts here occasionally or a new
contributor ? Great topic...you'll earn an A for sure !