Dina
Dina

March 26th, 2008, 9:04 pm #11

Want to hear something scarier? I had a jump suit very similar to what Amy Carter is wearing!
It's so cute that she and Danielle are holding hands. I bet you meeting the "Annie" girls was more thrilling for her than meeting Menachim Begin and other world leaders.... I mean, what can compare to meeting Andrea McArdle, Shelley Bruce, etc when you are a 9 or 10 year old in 1977??

Dina

Michelle
Michelle

March 27th, 2008, 12:41 am #12

....in Martin Charnin's Annie: A Theatre Memoir. Some have Kristen in the original Annie dress (square neck) and wig, for those of you with access to that book. There may be some on OBC orphans websites too. Maybe KV's herself...
Really? I have that book, and there are no pictures of her. Her name is never mentioned, either. Was there a later edition released?

old fan
old fan

March 27th, 2008, 1:36 pm #13

...sorry to mislead you...I think it was Kim Fedena I must have seen in that book, not KV. But I was positive there was a shot of her as Annie in the square neck dress with the orphans wearing striped dresses-anyone know where this pic is from ? Kristen's name has been blurred in the Memoir reviews- if you read them you can tell it's her. I will try and think of where I would have seen more of her !

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

March 27th, 2008, 2:44 pm #14

It's so cute that she and Danielle are holding hands. I bet you meeting the "Annie" girls was more thrilling for her than meeting Menachim Begin and other world leaders.... I mean, what can compare to meeting Andrea McArdle, Shelley Bruce, etc when you are a 9 or 10 year old in 1977??

Dina
Yes, the children of Presidents are very lucky in that respect. I remember watching Chelsea Clinton standing in the wings at the gymnastics venue at the Atlanta Olympic games.

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

March 28th, 2008, 3:30 am #15

I'm not sure if Kristen has many photos from her "Annie" days, but here are two that I have.

Julie

One could say that Annie was very well timed, coming just at the beginning of the Jimmy Carter administration in 1977. Now that the debacle of Watergate was behind us, the American people welcomed the arrival of the genial, smiling new president who made us feel optimistic about the times our country was entering. What better time for the people of New York to become familiar with Orphan Annie on the stage!! "Tomorrow" was the theme that kept our chins up. It was appropriate that the cast got to go to the White House and meet Mr. and Mrs. Carter and their Annie-aged daughter Amy.

All good things have to come to an end, I guess. The world was changing in the late '70s, and Carter was seen as a weak president and was a disappointment to many. He was defeated for reelection, and his presidency went out--to quote T. S. Eliot--not with a bang but a whimper. The only problem was that we were then saddled for two interminably long terms with Ronald Reagan, one of our worst presidents in the past half century. Meanwhile, the Nationals had begun to crisscross the nation, and Annie continued to endure, thank goodness, but the optimism we felt with Jimmy Carter in 1977, alas, was gone.

OT Trivia: Name Amy Carter's cat in the White House.

Answer: Misty Malarkey Ying Yang.

(not to be confused with "Oh, Bundles, still full of the same old malarkey!")

CindyS
CindyS

March 28th, 2008, 3:55 pm #16

Wow! Not sure if the tone of that post was Annie related, or just an opportunity to post some political views. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

March 28th, 2008, 4:33 pm #17

Annie and politics ARE interrelated (just ask FDR's Cabinet), and the whole thing about the Andrea cast visiting Jimmy Carter's White House in 1977 was very significant to both areas of our culture, I thought. Hey, it could have been worse; I did get through the entire post without even mentioning Hillary or Obama or McCain....

CindyS
CindyS

March 28th, 2008, 5:35 pm #18

that Annie and politics are interrelated. I wasn't born under a rock. I was referring to the comments regarding Carter's weakened presidency and then the comments regarding Ronald Reagan. Unlike most of the posters on this board, I was in high school during the 1970's, so remember a lot.

But, this isn't the forum to discuss these things.
God bless.

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

March 28th, 2008, 9:08 pm #19

Wow! Not sure if the tone of that post was Annie related, or just an opportunity to post some political views. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!
Cindy,

I didn't interpret John's post that way, for what it's worth.

He was simply commenting on why Annie was such a hit in 1977. It had A LOT to do with where our country was at the time. I hate to say it but that is why Annie doesn't work so well today (and the fact that it's done-to-death). The audiences ROARED with laughter at every single political joke and reference back in 1977, and through the subsequent tours. It was topical.

John's comment about our changing world was just that, a comment. Reagan and Bush DID change the direction of our country whether we like that change or not.

I hardly saw him soliciting for one candidate or another.

As for it not being appropriate for this forum, I also disagree (for all the reasons above). Heck, we've discussed everything on this forum; from clothing styles to haircuts to tv shows of the 80s. And one could argue that the endless discussions about DD's auditions are not for this forum, either.

I'm just saying

middleAgedFan!
middleAgedFan!

April 2nd, 2008, 6:50 am #20

One could say that Annie was very well timed, coming just at the beginning of the Jimmy Carter administration in 1977. Now that the debacle of Watergate was behind us, the American people welcomed the arrival of the genial, smiling new president who made us feel optimistic about the times our country was entering. What better time for the people of New York to become familiar with Orphan Annie on the stage!! "Tomorrow" was the theme that kept our chins up. It was appropriate that the cast got to go to the White House and meet Mr. and Mrs. Carter and their Annie-aged daughter Amy.

All good things have to come to an end, I guess. The world was changing in the late '70s, and Carter was seen as a weak president and was a disappointment to many. He was defeated for reelection, and his presidency went out--to quote T. S. Eliot--not with a bang but a whimper. The only problem was that we were then saddled for two interminably long terms with Ronald Reagan, one of our worst presidents in the past half century. Meanwhile, the Nationals had begun to crisscross the nation, and Annie continued to endure, thank goodness, but the optimism we felt with Jimmy Carter in 1977, alas, was gone.

OT Trivia: Name Amy Carter's cat in the White House.

Answer: Misty Malarkey Ying Yang.

(not to be confused with "Oh, Bundles, still full of the same old malarkey!")
interesting and right on the mark!