Julie re: Life After Tomorrow DVD

Julie re: Life After Tomorrow DVD

Alex
Alex

July 1st, 2008, 9:26 am #1

Hi Julie,

I live in the UK and I bought the Life After Tomorrow DVD via the LAT website soon after it came out. I belive that, at the time, the website said, the DVD would be available for a limited time, after which it would not be available to buy again until Feb. 08

When it arrived, I saw on the back of the box that it was "not licensed for distribution outside the US" and that distribution elsewhere was "strictly prohibited". I'm confused, because I bought it via the LAT website. Also,although the display was not in the UK format (PAL), it would play fine on my DVD player, even though it is R2 and not multi-region enabled. I hope you can clear up my confusion for me.

Also, my version has a pale brown cover (not the red cover with Annie looking through the stage curtains) and there's no menu on it. The programme starts automatically, plays through and then the disk just stops. Is this version different to the version with the other cover?

Thanks

Alex

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 1st, 2008, 6:08 pm #2

Alex:

If you bought the film from my website, www.lifeaftertomorrow.com, then you bought it before we had US distribution. Once we started working with the distributor, who only has the rights to sell in the U.S., they re-designed the box and asked me to add 45 minutes of addition bonus footage. If you had tried to buy the DVD off of their website, they would not have sold it to anyone outside of the U.S.

From what I understand, Amazon does ship outside of the U.S. and the DVD is available on that website. Believe it or not, my foreign distributor still has not found a deal in the UK. It's driving me crazy!!! If you would like to purchase the DVD and have any trouble online, I'm always happy to sell you one through Paypal.

Julie

Karen Schleifer
Karen Schleifer

July 1st, 2008, 7:28 pm #3

More than what we've seen? I'd love to see the bonus footage!

July 1st, 2008, 10:50 pm #4

Hi Julie,

I live in the UK and I bought the Life After Tomorrow DVD via the LAT website soon after it came out. I belive that, at the time, the website said, the DVD would be available for a limited time, after which it would not be available to buy again until Feb. 08

When it arrived, I saw on the back of the box that it was "not licensed for distribution outside the US" and that distribution elsewhere was "strictly prohibited". I'm confused, because I bought it via the LAT website. Also,although the display was not in the UK format (PAL), it would play fine on my DVD player, even though it is R2 and not multi-region enabled. I hope you can clear up my confusion for me.

Also, my version has a pale brown cover (not the red cover with Annie looking through the stage curtains) and there's no menu on it. The programme starts automatically, plays through and then the disk just stops. Is this version different to the version with the other cover?

Thanks

Alex
If you buy the other DVD with the bonus footage and it also works in your DVD player, make sure you let us know, I'm sure Kate from England and Katarina from Norway would be interested as well!

Alex
Alex

July 3rd, 2008, 2:51 pm #5

Hi Julie,

Yes, I bought my copy via the LAT website. I'm quite sure now that it must be an early pre-distributor copy. I'm going to have a look on Amazon now as I'd like to get the other version. The extra footage sounds interesting.

Cecile,
Checking my existing copy (a pre-distributor copy) using the DVD software on my computer, I see that, although it is in the American display format, not PAL, it isn't set to R1. The default region before a region is set, is R2, which covers the UK and, I believe, France. As my TV is compatible with PAL and the American display format, this explains why the DVD will play for me.

I'll get back to you regarding whether the distributor version with extra footage will.

Alex

July 3rd, 2008, 5:05 pm #6

France is indeed region 2, as is the rest of Europe. It'd be great if the DVD with bonus footage hadn't been set for a specific region! If not, I'll wait till Julie eventually gets a deal with a British distributor (I know you will Julie!) and order it on Amazon or buy it on my next trip there.
Last edited by Cecile-France on July 3rd, 2008, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex
Alex

July 3rd, 2008, 5:11 pm #7

Hi Cecile,

Life After Tomorrow is on Amazon but it is Region 1. I can't buy it, either.

Alex

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 3rd, 2008, 6:43 pm #8

Hi Julie,

Yes, I bought my copy via the LAT website. I'm quite sure now that it must be an early pre-distributor copy. I'm going to have a look on Amazon now as I'd like to get the other version. The extra footage sounds interesting.

Cecile,
Checking my existing copy (a pre-distributor copy) using the DVD software on my computer, I see that, although it is in the American display format, not PAL, it isn't set to R1. The default region before a region is set, is R2, which covers the UK and, I believe, France. As my TV is compatible with PAL and the American display format, this explains why the DVD will play for me.

I'll get back to you regarding whether the distributor version with extra footage will.

Alex
I think I have figured out how to burn Region 2 DVD's on my computer. Do both of you need Region 2? Let me work on it today and see if I can get it to work and then I'll send it to one of you and you can let me know if it plays in your machine.

Julie

Alex
Alex

July 3rd, 2008, 9:03 pm #9

Hi Julie,

Yes, I would need the DVD to be Region 2. It can be in NTSC and not PAL but it has to be R2 because an R1 disk won't play on most British players. The pre-distributor copy I have, without the extra footage, isn't region coded at all, so that might also work, but I don't know how you remove a region code.

If you think you might have managed to do it, please email me about sending the disk- alex_mills@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks!

Alex

July 3rd, 2008, 9:56 pm #10

Hi Cecile,

Life After Tomorrow is on Amazon but it is Region 1. I can't buy it, either.

Alex
I guess we'll just have to wait for the British deal to come through...