Julie on the Today Show

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

April 1st, 2008, 12:03 am #1

Hey everyone. I was just interviewed for a piece airing tomorrow morning on the Today Show on NBC. I was asked my opinion about stage parents and kids in show biz. Set your Tivo's! I'm not sure of the exact time of the segment but I may find out later this evening.

Julie

Rachel
Rachel

April 1st, 2008, 2:23 pm #2

It seems they may be doing a series of stories on the topic because this morning, Matt and Meredith had a feature on David Archuleta (from "American Idol") and the rumors about his stage dad berating him, sinking him with last week's bad song choice, etc. There have been a lot of stories on the gossip sites about his behavior towards Tiffany Evans years ago, when Tiffany faced David in the "Star Search" finals. The feature basically said that with Archuleta, the new VH1 show "I Know My Kid's a Star" (which, by the way, is HORRIBLE) and I guess also the new revival of "Gypsy" on Broadway, stage parents are back in the spotlight.

Rachel

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

April 1st, 2008, 4:43 pm #3

Julie, sorry your segment got bumped. Maybe they'll air it later this week?

RE: David Archuletta. That would stink if his dad is a stage parent. David is sooo sweet. Now, was it David who was, allegedly, unkind towards Tiffany or David's father?

I didn't watch the Star Search of a few years ago because I was around for the original gasp
and KNEW it wouldn't be nearly as good. Star Search was huge in the mid-late 80s. Gawd, I loved that show. Remember the acting competition? I loved that. I hated the spokesmodel part, though.

Rachel
Rachel

April 1st, 2008, 6:23 pm #4

I wasn't trying to imply that Julie's segment got bumped. They may be carrying the story on into the rest of the week. They do that a lot.

It was David Archuleta's father who allegedly tried to intimidate Tiffany Evans and repeatedly told her she'd lose because his son was better. For those who watch "Idol" and saw David forget his lyrics on top 12 night, the rumor is that they recorded their tracks for iTunes the day before and David's father was so abrasive towards him regarding the arrangement of the song that he was near tears and that's what caused him to lose his concentration during the live performance.

Rachel

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

April 1st, 2008, 6:29 pm #5

Oh, no, Rachel, that response was to Julie who mentioned it wasn't on this morning
So I was just expressing my disappointment for Julie that it wasn't shown - and was hoping it would air later this week.

Wow. Poor David. He really is quite talented and it's amazing he's so sweet with (an alleged) father like that.