I'd Do Anything

Alex
Alex

July 6th, 2008, 3:46 pm #1

Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me dragging this up again but I'm quite new to this forum and I've been reading through some old posts. What does everyone actually think of the Nancy and Olivers who won I'd Do Anything?

I was really happy that Jodie won, especially as it was going to be her or Jessie. I've got nothing against Irish people but I just couldn't stand her accent and cringed every time she spoke. She could do a reasonable Cockney accent, but always seemed to get so worked up about it while she was doing it that it affected her performance.

I was pleased that Laurence was chosen as one of the Olivers. He has a lovely voice and worked very well with Jodie when they did their duet. I wasn't so sure about the other two.

I don't really mind Harry winning, although I thought there were better Olivers in the contest. I don't think Gwion deserved to win at all. He got really giggly and silly during most of the boys tasks, especially the stage fighting task and often slipped out of character because of it. He can't be doing that when he has to stage fight during a performance. He has quite a weak voice in comparison with some of the other boys and his diction in some of their performances was terrible. Did you hear him during Tomorrow and Hard Knock Life- they're on YouTube if you don't believe me.

My other two Olivers, except for Laurence, were Alexander and Johnny, especially Johnny. Among the older boys in the group, they were very disciplined in all of the tasks and are both strong singers, dancers and actors. When they had to do act out a scene with 'Dodger' and in the last task when they sang Where is Love, Johnny gave the most wonderful performances.

I want to go to London to see Oliver but only on one of the nights that Laurence is perforimng. I'm not sure whether it will be announced in advance who's doing what show but if I can't choose when I buy my ticket and it's not Laurence, I think I'll walk straight out. If it's Gwion, I definitely will.

Alex

Broadway Fan
Broadway Fan

July 7th, 2008, 2:39 pm #2

You will not pay good money for a West End show, then walk out. That is ridiculous. And I was annoyed about your Irish comment, even though I don't have the same accent.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 7th, 2008, 2:53 pm #3

Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me dragging this up again but I'm quite new to this forum and I've been reading through some old posts. What does everyone actually think of the Nancy and Olivers who won I'd Do Anything?

I was really happy that Jodie won, especially as it was going to be her or Jessie. I've got nothing against Irish people but I just couldn't stand her accent and cringed every time she spoke. She could do a reasonable Cockney accent, but always seemed to get so worked up about it while she was doing it that it affected her performance.

I was pleased that Laurence was chosen as one of the Olivers. He has a lovely voice and worked very well with Jodie when they did their duet. I wasn't so sure about the other two.

I don't really mind Harry winning, although I thought there were better Olivers in the contest. I don't think Gwion deserved to win at all. He got really giggly and silly during most of the boys tasks, especially the stage fighting task and often slipped out of character because of it. He can't be doing that when he has to stage fight during a performance. He has quite a weak voice in comparison with some of the other boys and his diction in some of their performances was terrible. Did you hear him during Tomorrow and Hard Knock Life- they're on YouTube if you don't believe me.

My other two Olivers, except for Laurence, were Alexander and Johnny, especially Johnny. Among the older boys in the group, they were very disciplined in all of the tasks and are both strong singers, dancers and actors. When they had to do act out a scene with 'Dodger' and in the last task when they sang Where is Love, Johnny gave the most wonderful performances.

I want to go to London to see Oliver but only on one of the nights that Laurence is perforimng. I'm not sure whether it will be announced in advance who's doing what show but if I can't choose when I buy my ticket and it's not Laurence, I think I'll walk straight out. If it's Gwion, I definitely will.

Alex
Alex:

I'm sure you will be pleased with whomever you see in the show, if you choose to buy a ticket. I'm sure that all of the boys will improve after rehearsals but you can always ask for their performance schedules when you purchase your ticket.

I have been watching the "Legally Blonde" reality show on TV and am pretty disappointed with the finalists. None of the girls seem to have very much training or experience in professional theatre. That being said, I'm told that the winner will be going out on the National Tour and not joining the Broadway Cast, so that should guarantee plenty of ticket sales on tour. Apparently, "Grease" is still doing well on Broadway due to the popularity of the reality show that cast the two leads in the show.

Julie

Rachel
Rachel

July 8th, 2008, 12:47 am #4

Laura Bell Bundy's understudy Becky Gulsvig is already signed on to play Elle on the tour. The rumor I heard is that the winner is only guaranteed to play the role for four weeks on Broadway so if she's bad, there are loopholes where they can axe her pretty quickly.

I agree about the caliber of the girls although the show is still better quality-wise than the "Grease" reality show. Some of these girls actually do have Broadway and professional credits. Emma is Jerry Zaks's daughter and was in "La Cage aux Folles" on Broadway, Celina was Jenn Gambatese's understudy in "Tarzan" and went on for her, Autumn was Beth in the national tour of "Little Women" and Cassie S. had a small role in the "Hairspray" movie as one of the Corny Collins kids. This doesn't count as experience but Natalie is the daughter of Squiggy from "Laverne and Shirley." Some of them like Bailey and Lauren are fresh out of school.

Rachel

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

July 8th, 2008, 6:25 am #5

When was there a production of "La Cage aux Folles" that was recent enough that Emma could have been in it? Was she a child? I'm sure Emma has talent but she is far from an Elle Woods type and her attitude was very annoying - she made so many excuses for her bad performances and when she got cut, she said she thought she was better than most of the girls.

As for Celina and Autumn, they should be much better in their challenges on the show if they've had that much experience. Again, Celina must have been dreaming if she thought she could pull off that role. In fact, it amazed me how the girls like Celina and Emma, who need to play against type, didn't even seem to be trying to create the character. They just did all of their challenges as themselves and forgot that they needed to act.

That's kind of cool that Natalie is the daughter of David Lander. When I watch Bailey and Lauren, I can't imagine that they have the maturity or acting skills to take on such a challenging role.

I heard that a lot of professional performers auditioned for the reality show but many of them did not want to live in the house with all of the girls - that was the deal-breaker for them.

Julie

Rachel
Rachel

July 8th, 2008, 2:27 pm #6

Emma was in the Broadway revival that was here a few years ago starring Gary Beach and Daniel Davis. It played for a few months through the beginning of 2006. There was a bit of a scandal when Davis was fired quite suddenly and it didn't last much longer past that. It was directed by her Dad though so I think we all know how she got that part.

Here is the IBDB listing on it:

http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=383058

The production was choreographed by Jerry Mitchell so it appears that they knew each other before the "Legally Blonde" audition. Besides subbing for the lead in "Tarzan," Celina was also the Miranda in the opening sequence of the "Sex and the City" movie where Carrie sees four girls resembling a younger version of the foursome. Kate Rockwell from the "Grease" reality show was the Samantha in that scene.

It doesn't surprise me that the house was a deal breaker for a lot of people. That element was just added for drama and cattiness and does nothing but show which girls have bad attitudes.