Meghan
Meghan

August 28th, 2008, 5:42 am #11

tohshoo at yahoo dot com

Geesh.
haha. i was sitting here trying to understand ur email...tohshoo...TOE SHOE...because you were a ballerina! haha..it took me so long to figure that out, and it was really buggging me. lol. I would LOVE to hear about your ballet career sometime. I think if i werent so into musicals, i definately would have considered going that route. although it seems like NO ONE my age is into ballet now. its allways hip hop or jazz. personally, i love it.

Dina
Dina

August 28th, 2008, 10:13 am #12

...was always my favorite. I took them both for years, but I never got to go on toe because I only started when I was 10 or 11. I wish my mom had put me in ballet when I was 3 or 4, instead of making me take skiing lessons which I did from the time I could walk. Ugh! Never liked being out in the cold...would have much preferred to be at the barre in a studio(But I did get to be in a few ski races in my choldhood years and that was kind of fun). Being from Quebec, skiing was the thing to do.

I used to actually tear up every time I would hear "At the Ballet" from A Chorus Line" because I loved ballet so much! So corny, I know!!!

Dina

Dina
Dina

August 28th, 2008, 10:14 am #13

I meant "took jazz and ballet for years"...I seemed to have omitted the "jazz" part!

old fan
old fan

August 28th, 2008, 5:57 pm #14

...was always my favorite. I took them both for years, but I never got to go on toe because I only started when I was 10 or 11. I wish my mom had put me in ballet when I was 3 or 4, instead of making me take skiing lessons which I did from the time I could walk. Ugh! Never liked being out in the cold...would have much preferred to be at the barre in a studio(But I did get to be in a few ski races in my choldhood years and that was kind of fun). Being from Quebec, skiing was the thing to do.

I used to actually tear up every time I would hear "At the Ballet" from A Chorus Line" because I loved ballet so much! So corny, I know!!!

Dina
I think ballet is great for kids, for poise, posture and self-confidence etc as well as being a beautiful form of art...but then after a certain point, don't your feet and knees get all kinds of ailments?

(I didn't get the toe shoe/tohshoo connection either. Because my allergies are wicked right now, I was thinking of a sneeze ! Sorry K the O, lol))

August 28th, 2008, 7:37 pm #15

I started when I was 4 and stopped when I was 23. The only thing I ever got was tendinotis once and I'm not even sure it was because of ballet. It has to be said I never did more than 1 1/2 hours a week and never entered any kind of competition or professional event but I guess only very intense ballet dancers get the ailments you mentioned.
Maybe it's because I'm (much!) older now but I've got more injuries since I started doing Irish dancing than I ever had in my 20 years of ballet/12 years of tap dance/4 years of figure skating/4 years of ballroom dancing.

Suzy
Suzy

August 28th, 2008, 8:45 pm #16

Hello everyone,

I am interested in writing an article, for possible publication, on the positive impact ANNIE had on you as a child.
Specifically, if you had a difficult childhood e.g. abuse, foster child, premature death of parents did you turn to Annie to cope?

Were you one of those children who listened to the LP/tape/CD endlessly? And did you watch the film/see the stage show a trillion times? Did you collect every bit of information possible on all things relating to Annie? More importantly, did Annie provide a respite from a difficult family life?

If so, I would like to interview you.

For more information please email me at tohshoo@yahoo.com
Hi :0) I turned to Annie all the time as as a kid. I was one of the lucky ones I guess, to have made the finals (and then was cut just when they sent everyone to Los Angeles for the "Annie Academy"). I have to say that I was devastated when the letter came that started out by "Dear Suzy, at long last the decision has been made...while you were NOT chosen..." I think I reread that letter just as often as Annie read her letter left by her parents.

I was going through pictures today, and oddly enough found one from the day of my final callback. My parents had told me I was too fat and unattractive to be in the movie. I saw the picture today, and nearly cried because I was thin, and cute. Wow... I think I vaguely remember that final audition when I secretively (haha) told Garrison True that I was an ugly and fat Annie. Hmmm go figure, I wonder why I lost the part. lol. I was a finalist for the role of Annie up until they sent everyone to Los Angeles.

I have a lot of memories...wonderful ones of being Garrison True's little "Annie", and him doing a lot of acting workshops when he was in town, and he'd chose me to be Annie. At the same time, I hate to admit it, but my heart still breaks for that miserable final callback when I blew it. Garrison had told me when I saw him in my early 20's, that he had fought for me to be in the movie, but they weren't flying anyone else out to California to be orphans.

Wow - so many thoughts come up here. OH... Tricia Trozzi, if you are out there reading this, please let me know where to find you. I have pictures of our cast of Annie Warbucks and want to know if you have a copy of my Annie letter (my storage unit was flooded and a lot of my annie stuff was lost.)

Anyhow... I don't know what else to write. lol.

old fan
old fan

August 28th, 2008, 11:28 pm #17

I started when I was 4 and stopped when I was 23. The only thing I ever got was tendinotis once and I'm not even sure it was because of ballet. It has to be said I never did more than 1 1/2 hours a week and never entered any kind of competition or professional event but I guess only very intense ballet dancers get the ailments you mentioned.
Maybe it's because I'm (much!) older now but I've got more injuries since I started doing Irish dancing than I ever had in my 20 years of ballet/12 years of tap dance/4 years of figure skating/4 years of ballroom dancing.
No wonder you are so good at Irish dancing with a background like that. I guess as a nurse I was interested in the medical aspects. I'm glad you did not have many injuries...ballet seems popular again in my area for young kids and I think there are more regulations etc about when to go en pointe etc. I think I will read up on this ! It's funny how a topic comes up here, it sparks your interest and you want to know more ! For example, I did not know too much about the June Havoc true-life story but when Gypsy was discussed I started googling away...

k-the-O ;-)
k-the-O ;-)

August 29th, 2008, 12:05 am #18

Hey K the O,

I don't think anyone was being critical. Just pointing out the error.

Hope things are going well on your end and that you've had a great summer! Let me know how your project is going.

Dina
Hi Dina,
That "geesh" was directed at someone here who feels the need to go in cognito and bash me from time to time

A typo is a typo, not a "different" address, and could have been addressed more kindly. That's all.

I appreciate your understanding (that sometimes we type too fast and miss a letter from time to time)

Dina
Dina

August 29th, 2008, 3:20 am #19

Gotcha.

Trust me, my dear, no one makes more typos than me! LOL My emails to people are FULL of them...so I am actually relieved when I see others who have typos cuz I don't feel so stupid!

Later,

Dina

August 29th, 2008, 8:56 am #20

Hi :0) I turned to Annie all the time as as a kid. I was one of the lucky ones I guess, to have made the finals (and then was cut just when they sent everyone to Los Angeles for the "Annie Academy"). I have to say that I was devastated when the letter came that started out by "Dear Suzy, at long last the decision has been made...while you were NOT chosen..." I think I reread that letter just as often as Annie read her letter left by her parents.

I was going through pictures today, and oddly enough found one from the day of my final callback. My parents had told me I was too fat and unattractive to be in the movie. I saw the picture today, and nearly cried because I was thin, and cute. Wow... I think I vaguely remember that final audition when I secretively (haha) told Garrison True that I was an ugly and fat Annie. Hmmm go figure, I wonder why I lost the part. lol. I was a finalist for the role of Annie up until they sent everyone to Los Angeles.

I have a lot of memories...wonderful ones of being Garrison True's little "Annie", and him doing a lot of acting workshops when he was in town, and he'd chose me to be Annie. At the same time, I hate to admit it, but my heart still breaks for that miserable final callback when I blew it. Garrison had told me when I saw him in my early 20's, that he had fought for me to be in the movie, but they weren't flying anyone else out to California to be orphans.

Wow - so many thoughts come up here. OH... Tricia Trozzi, if you are out there reading this, please let me know where to find you. I have pictures of our cast of Annie Warbucks and want to know if you have a copy of my Annie letter (my storage unit was flooded and a lot of my annie stuff was lost.)

Anyhow... I don't know what else to write. lol.
Thanks for sharing.