hey guys- broadway questions

jen
jen

1:43 AM - May 21, 2008 #1

hey everyone- remember me?

we're still home from China with SOM, and i've decided to spend what little money i have going to see shows, using student, rush, and lottery tickets. actually, i NEVER win lottery, so probably only rush and student that you buy when the box offices open.

i was wondering, box offices tend to open at 10am. does there generally seem to be lines by then?

also, i know there's a website somewhere out there that has the understudy schedule for kids on broadway, does something like that exist for adults? either a compiled site, or on a show by show basis?

thanks!

Mandy
Mandy

1:53 AM - May 21, 2008 #2

jen
jen

2:14 AM - May 21, 2008 #3

thank you! i wonder how accurate that is. it seems like such a short list, considering how many shows and how many roles there are...

but thank you, that's what i was looking for

RLS
RLS

2:43 AM - May 21, 2008 #4

hey everyone- remember me?

we're still home from China with SOM, and i've decided to spend what little money i have going to see shows, using student, rush, and lottery tickets. actually, i NEVER win lottery, so probably only rush and student that you buy when the box offices open.

i was wondering, box offices tend to open at 10am. does there generally seem to be lines by then?

also, i know there's a website somewhere out there that has the understudy schedule for kids on broadway, does something like that exist for adults? either a compiled site, or on a show by show basis?

thanks!
that's a great website for adults! Thanks for sharing that... Is this the same for kids? Or, can someone share (if they know) the place where they list what days crtain kids will be performing in certain shows?

Just curious to see that.

Thanks...

Rachel
Rachel

2:50 AM - May 21, 2008 #5

The people listed there submit themselves in so it's accurate for pre-planned vacations if the performer knows about it and submits the info.

Rachel

Diane Etzkorn
Diane Etzkorn

3:03 PM - May 21, 2008 #6

I love this! Of course - I love seeing understudies. I have always loved seeing understudies - I am thrilled to be able to see an understudy. I think wow they have worked so hard and now they get to perform this role, plus there is so much positive energy on stage when an understudy goes on.

However, I have to tell you that on-tour that is one thing that bothered me is when the patrons around me would say oh - we are not seeing the real Annie - just an understudy. Then I would often hear the comment. Wow - if this Annie is this good then how good is the real Annie. I would so want to scream, They are BOTH really good! I didn't! However, from now on I have vowed to scream loudly when an understudy goes on. They really are professional and it is so fun to watch a understudy. I really enjoyed watching the understudies go on with Annie. It so much fun. They are professionals and do a great job! I would rather see an understudy then a cast member who was sick, or needed time off for a wedding, etc. Just my opinion! So, anyway, love the list. I did not know this was out there!

old fan
old fan

3:16 PM - May 21, 2008 #7

That is a terrific site to check out if you're going to one of those shows ! As for Grace, I bet after just a few performances, word spread how good she was, and people would be happy to see her perform

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

4:29 PM - May 21, 2008 #8

I love this! Of course - I love seeing understudies. I have always loved seeing understudies - I am thrilled to be able to see an understudy. I think wow they have worked so hard and now they get to perform this role, plus there is so much positive energy on stage when an understudy goes on.

However, I have to tell you that on-tour that is one thing that bothered me is when the patrons around me would say oh - we are not seeing the real Annie - just an understudy. Then I would often hear the comment. Wow - if this Annie is this good then how good is the real Annie. I would so want to scream, They are BOTH really good! I didn't! However, from now on I have vowed to scream loudly when an understudy goes on. They really are professional and it is so fun to watch a understudy. I really enjoyed watching the understudies go on with Annie. It so much fun. They are professionals and do a great job! I would rather see an understudy then a cast member who was sick, or needed time off for a wedding, etc. Just my opinion! So, anyway, love the list. I did not know this was out there!
When I was a kid my parents took me to the 1st Nat'l production of Annie in Chicago. When they announced the understudy would play Annie, the audience made a LOUD groan!! Their reaction made me upset and I thought we were going to be short-changed with a second-rate performer. The opposite happened. I was BLOWN AWAY by the performance!! Instead of thinking, "Wow, how good is the "real" Annie?" I thought, "Why isn't she Annie ALL the time?"

I'm glad I had that experience at a young age because since then I've never worried about seeing the understudy.

Natalie
Natalie

7:13 PM - May 21, 2008 #9

When I saw Wicked a few weeks ago, I was disappointed when I saw that Elphaba would be played by the standby (the actress had hurt her ankle), but I was pleasantly surprised. While I'm sure most understudies are very well prepared, I had a bad experience with an understudy playing Belle in Beauty and the Beast, but that may have just been a fluke. Either way, I definitely felt like there was more energy surrounding an understudy, and I always feel a little excited for the actor.

Chrissy
Chrissy

8:29 PM - May 21, 2008 #10

Natalie, did you see Wicked on Broadway?
If it was on Broadway, who did you see as Elphaba?
I've seen Lisa Brescia as Elphaba, and I'm glad I did.
She was phenominal!