Gypsy! (Review)

March 4th, 2008, 5:17 am #1

I had the good fortune to see the very exciting first preview of Gypsy with Patti Lupone tonight. What a show! I was in the top balcony and didn't have binoculars, unfortunately, but here's my review:

I loved having the orchestra on the stage and visible during the overture. It really bothers me when people think that the overture is the time to talk to other people, make last minute phone calls, loudly unwrap candies ... this staging definitely made the orchestra part of the show, and people were silent and riveted (and cheering after the trumpet solo!).

The kids: I missed Clarence's clarinet, but Vladimir's violin was very funny! Nice that they cast a kid who could already play an instrument and used that instrument. Baby June and Baby Louise were just perfect for their roles. Baby Louise looked perfect, even her physical stance was perfect for the part. I LOVED the fact that she "couldn't" do the bell kicks properly (I bet she's actually a great dancer) - that got an extra laugh. Baby June was also amazing. How old is that girl? I had heard from Kim Ryan that she did the role on pointe, and I was looking forward to seeing that. Well - she does everything! And it's just right. She is probably the most capable and ideal Baby June I've ever seen. My only problem with the kids (and this is not their fault) was that during their few lines, it was a bit hard to hear them sometimes. If their speaking voices were soft, like Louise's (as is appropriate for the role), the mics could have been turned up just the slightest bit more. I expect that's something that will be changed in previews.

Tulsa was great but not my favorite, vocally. My favorite Tulsa sings on the cast recording with Tyne Daly (who is NOT my favorite Rose!). There's not much to the role beyond his one big dance scene, and from so far away, it really was just a dance scene, but he did a good job. I could barely see facial expressions from where I was sitting.

Herbie -- poor guy really doesn't get the recognition he deserves, simply because the show is ABOUT ROSE! He was excellent, really nice singing (what little he does) and GREAT scene at the end when he explodes and finally leaves for good. His chemistry with Rose was right on, and you could see how the two characters got along and stood by each other for so long.

The Strippers: HILARIOUS! There was a lesson to be learned from Elektra: sometimes less is more. It was completely unexpected and so funny! These characters are always showstoppers, but the nuances in this version were really something else.

Dainty June: I LOVED her. I have never seen June played this way. She had a very low speaking voice, and her anger was right there on the surface, gritty and hostile. The contrast between the real June we saw backstage and the "Dainty June" we saw in her act was just priceless. I believe there is a youtube video of her "If Mamma Was Married," and I suggest you watch it!

Gypsy: I also loved her. She was perfect in Little Lamb, a song easily ruined by many great Gypsys! But she was also an excellent belter and didn't have the coarseness in her voice that I've heard in other Gypsys. Her transition from the quiet untalented nobody to the star was very well done and believable too -- she made me think a lot more about her character, as did June. The chemistry between the two sisters was also very interesting: quite a bit of hostility, and the line "Did you ever feel like you didn't have a sister?" made a lot of sense.

The Cow: WOW! I don't know when I've laughed that hard. Louise's "moo moo moo moo"s were soooooo funny!

Rose: WOW. I love Patti Lupone, so I'm biased. But I've been saying since I was 13 and first heard her recording of Evita that she needed to play Mama Rose. Finally she is doing it! She was really fabulous, and brought a slightly manic quality, at times, that really showed Rose's drive and her stubbornness and inability to see beyond her "dream" to the life she is actually living. She was just 100% Rose. I loved her. I think she IS Rose. I was also amused by her extremely tall heels! How tall is she? (If anyone else is a Patti fan, look up her name and "A New Argentina" on youtube to see her incredible performance nearly 30 years ago.)

Of course there was applause at her first entrance, and she had to stop and wait until it finished. More applause for Herbie, the strippers, the strobe scene where the kids grow up. It was really great to be in the audience for this night - the audience was so much a PART of it, so exuberant and wanting to love the show (which we did)!

Also, each character was so specific and nuanced, going far beyond the "stock" characters that I've often seen in Gypsy. Different isn't always better, but in some cases (particularly June and Elektra), it truly was. There were so many little moments that were just hilarious! In particular, Rose's repeated "I had a dream" and Louise's look and then GROAN! So funny. And many parts were truly moving -- Rose's reaction in the scene where June leaves brought tears to my eyes, and I saw the girl next to me wiping her eyes as well. You could actually see the pain Rose felt in losing her "star," which was like losing everything, and the transition as she shifted her focus, her "dream," to Louise. Same with the scene where Herbie leaves. These actors were so believable in their roles.

Sets: The sets were minimal, which I suppose they have to be in order for scene changes to not take ages. The speed of the scene changes (since this was a 3-hr show) was great. And the sets and props gave enough of a suggestion of each scene that I didn't feel like anything was missing (orphan beds? Ha!).

Now, for the non-production DRAMA:

Near the end of the show, when Rose comes to visit Gypsy in her dressing room and they have a fight, all of a sudden I heard a loud metallic CLANK to my right, then a wail. I thought someone had knocked over a metal thermos or something, and was upset about it. But that seemed strange, and people to my right started whispering. Then I looked (this was all in a split second) and there was a young woman gasping and sobbing. Someone pointed up at the ceiling of the theatre, where there was a huge hole ... where there USED to be a giant, round metal air vent about 2 feet in diameter. It had fallen about 20-30 feet from the ceiling and hit this young woman on the head!!! You can bet that was a distraction, and unfortunately this happened just before "Rose's Turn." People were whispering, calling the ushers to call 911, and looking over at the young woman to see if she was all right. She was sitting there, sobbing. The show continued, because I don't think anyone on stage noticed that anything was wrong. So during most of the beginning of Rose's turn, the entire balcony was half watching Patti onstage, and half watching the right side of the balcony.

It was scary! Finally the medics came, and someone carried away the air vent which passed right by me (I was on an aisle). A huge, round, heavy piece of metal ... that fell from the ceiling. And hot someone. Wow. People left her aisle so she could get out, while the show continued. She walked out with, I think, her dad, so she was ok enough to walk. She was gone by the middle of Rose's Turn, and we all looked back at the stage, a little shaken.

The show ended to a total standing ovation, much deserved, and many curtain calls. It was so good, even though we were distracted at the end!

When we were leaving, we passed her in the balcony entrance and the young woman was talking, so it seemed like she was ok. When I got out to the street in front of the theatre, people were talking about it a LOT -- then I passed a group and heard them say, "...yeah, the top balcony seemed kind of loud during the whole ending scene." So I told them, briefly, what had happened and why they heard noise from the top balcony. They were also shocked.

Emma's mom, if you're reading this, if anyone noticed a commotion in the balcony, this is what happened! And Emma was wonderful -- how exciting for her to be a part of this amazing show!

I highly recommend that everyone see this production if you can!
Sorry if it's not eloquent ... it's late!
Last edited by -Grief- on March 4th, 2008, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

March 4th, 2008, 6:16 am #2

What a great review. Thanks. It sounds like it was an exciting experience and performance. There's nothing like a preview or opening night crowd, when people who really love the show or the performers in it are there. I'm sure there was as much good energy coming from the audience towards the stage as there was coming from the stage out into the audience.

How horrible about the falling vent. Boy, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Julie

Dina
Dina

March 4th, 2008, 11:31 am #3

I had the good fortune to see the very exciting first preview of Gypsy with Patti Lupone tonight. What a show! I was in the top balcony and didn't have binoculars, unfortunately, but here's my review:

I loved having the orchestra on the stage and visible during the overture. It really bothers me when people think that the overture is the time to talk to other people, make last minute phone calls, loudly unwrap candies ... this staging definitely made the orchestra part of the show, and people were silent and riveted (and cheering after the trumpet solo!).

The kids: I missed Clarence's clarinet, but Vladimir's violin was very funny! Nice that they cast a kid who could already play an instrument and used that instrument. Baby June and Baby Louise were just perfect for their roles. Baby Louise looked perfect, even her physical stance was perfect for the part. I LOVED the fact that she "couldn't" do the bell kicks properly (I bet she's actually a great dancer) - that got an extra laugh. Baby June was also amazing. How old is that girl? I had heard from Kim Ryan that she did the role on pointe, and I was looking forward to seeing that. Well - she does everything! And it's just right. She is probably the most capable and ideal Baby June I've ever seen. My only problem with the kids (and this is not their fault) was that during their few lines, it was a bit hard to hear them sometimes. If their speaking voices were soft, like Louise's (as is appropriate for the role), the mics could have been turned up just the slightest bit more. I expect that's something that will be changed in previews.

Tulsa was great but not my favorite, vocally. My favorite Tulsa sings on the cast recording with Tyne Daly (who is NOT my favorite Rose!). There's not much to the role beyond his one big dance scene, and from so far away, it really was just a dance scene, but he did a good job. I could barely see facial expressions from where I was sitting.

Herbie -- poor guy really doesn't get the recognition he deserves, simply because the show is ABOUT ROSE! He was excellent, really nice singing (what little he does) and GREAT scene at the end when he explodes and finally leaves for good. His chemistry with Rose was right on, and you could see how the two characters got along and stood by each other for so long.

The Strippers: HILARIOUS! There was a lesson to be learned from Elektra: sometimes less is more. It was completely unexpected and so funny! These characters are always showstoppers, but the nuances in this version were really something else.

Dainty June: I LOVED her. I have never seen June played this way. She had a very low speaking voice, and her anger was right there on the surface, gritty and hostile. The contrast between the real June we saw backstage and the "Dainty June" we saw in her act was just priceless. I believe there is a youtube video of her "If Mamma Was Married," and I suggest you watch it!

Gypsy: I also loved her. She was perfect in Little Lamb, a song easily ruined by many great Gypsys! But she was also an excellent belter and didn't have the coarseness in her voice that I've heard in other Gypsys. Her transition from the quiet untalented nobody to the star was very well done and believable too -- she made me think a lot more about her character, as did June. The chemistry between the two sisters was also very interesting: quite a bit of hostility, and the line "Did you ever feel like you didn't have a sister?" made a lot of sense.

The Cow: WOW! I don't know when I've laughed that hard. Louise's "moo moo moo moo"s were soooooo funny!

Rose: WOW. I love Patti Lupone, so I'm biased. But I've been saying since I was 13 and first heard her recording of Evita that she needed to play Mama Rose. Finally she is doing it! She was really fabulous, and brought a slightly manic quality, at times, that really showed Rose's drive and her stubbornness and inability to see beyond her "dream" to the life she is actually living. She was just 100% Rose. I loved her. I think she IS Rose. I was also amused by her extremely tall heels! How tall is she? (If anyone else is a Patti fan, look up her name and "A New Argentina" on youtube to see her incredible performance nearly 30 years ago.)

Of course there was applause at her first entrance, and she had to stop and wait until it finished. More applause for Herbie, the strippers, the strobe scene where the kids grow up. It was really great to be in the audience for this night - the audience was so much a PART of it, so exuberant and wanting to love the show (which we did)!

Also, each character was so specific and nuanced, going far beyond the "stock" characters that I've often seen in Gypsy. Different isn't always better, but in some cases (particularly June and Elektra), it truly was. There were so many little moments that were just hilarious! In particular, Rose's repeated "I had a dream" and Louise's look and then GROAN! So funny. And many parts were truly moving -- Rose's reaction in the scene where June leaves brought tears to my eyes, and I saw the girl next to me wiping her eyes as well. You could actually see the pain Rose felt in losing her "star," which was like losing everything, and the transition as she shifted her focus, her "dream," to Louise. Same with the scene where Herbie leaves. These actors were so believable in their roles.

Sets: The sets were minimal, which I suppose they have to be in order for scene changes to not take ages. The speed of the scene changes (since this was a 3-hr show) was great. And the sets and props gave enough of a suggestion of each scene that I didn't feel like anything was missing (orphan beds? Ha!).

Near the end of the show, when Rose comes to visit Gypsy in her dressing room and they have a fight, all of a sudden I heard a loud metallic CLANK to my right, then a wail. I thought someone had knocked over a metal thermos or something, and was upset about it. But that seemed strange, and people to my right started whispering. Then I looked (this was all in a split second) and there was a young woman gasping and sobbing. Someone pointed up at the ceiling of the theatre, where there was a huge hole ... where there USED to be a giant, round metal air vent about 2 feet in diameter. It had fallen about 20-30 feet from the ceiling and hit this young woman on the head!!! You can bet that was a distraction, and unfortunately this happened just before "Rose's Turn." People were whispering, calling the ushers to call 911, and looking over at the young woman to see if she was all right. She was sitting there, sobbing. The show continued, because I don't think anyone on stage noticed that anything was wrong. So during most of the beginning of Rose's turn, the entire balcony was half watching Patti onstage, and half watching the right side of the balcony.

It was scary! Finally the medics came, and someone carried away the air vent which passed right by me (I was on an aisle). A huge, round, heavy piece of metal ... that fell from the ceiling. And hot someone. Wow. People left her aisle so she could get out, while the show continued. She walked out with, I think, her dad, so she was ok enough to walk. She was gone by the middle of Rose's Turn, and we all looked back at the stage, a little shaken.

The show ended to a total standing ovation, much deserved, and many curtain calls. It was so good, even though we were distracted at the end!

When we were leaving, we passed her in the balcony entrance and the young woman was talking, so it seemed like she was ok. When I got out to the street in front of the theatre, people were talking about it a LOT -- then I passed a group and heard them say, "...yeah, the top balcony seemed kind of loud during the whole ending scene." So I told them, briefly, what had happened and why they heard noise from the top balcony. They were also shocked.

Emma's mom, if you're reading this, if anyone noticed a commotion in the balcony, this is what happened! And Emma was wonderful -- how exciting for her to be a part of this amazing show!

Wow, what a great, detailed review!!! I too think Patti L is amazing--I saw her in 'Evita' all those years ago and..wow, what a voice!

I have to say that unfortunately I can relate to the accident you described and your description brought it all back. I had my own horrible experience when I was just 8 years old and at a Bee Gees concert that my mom agreed to take me to in 1976. I'm not sure exactly where it came from, but a big plank of wood fell from somewhere atop the Montreal Forum and smashed me and the lady next to me right in the face. We were both bleeding a lot, the lady's glasses broke, and I had a huge bruise on my face. My mom was spared the wood in her face, but I was freaking out and screaming and the lady was taken away by some medics. I was OK--just very sore and traumatized. It was my very first rock (well, disco actually!) concert and man, will I always remember that one!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at 'Gypsy'.

Dina

Rachel
Rachel

March 4th, 2008, 2:38 pm #4

I saw this production when it was at City Center and posted a very similar review. I found the take on Dainty June to be extremely new and refreshing and I was simply blow away by Patti. I will definitely be seeing it on Broadway sometime this spring and I can't wait. I can't recommend this show enough. Glad you had an amazing time, Grief!

Rachel

March 4th, 2008, 6:13 pm #5

Two things:

More gushing about Laura Benanti as Gypsy. In most of the show, she was a PERFECT awkward teenager! I believed her completely, and I think she's actually in her late 20s now. Also, her transition from the first strip to "stardom" was really complete -- you could see that the neglected "little girl" she had been was gone, and she really grew up.

There was one moment that I didn't like, that actually bothered me. At the end, when Herbie (Changing this because KM corrected me) blows up at the rude stage manager, after he started yelling, he turned away and - to put it politely - "adjusted himself." This got a HUGE laugh from the audience, but I thought it was a cheap shot, slapstick, and totally unnecessary. It ruined the honesty of the show. But that was my only complaint!
Last edited by -Grief- on March 4th, 2008, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

km
km

March 4th, 2008, 6:25 pm #6

I'm so glad you enjoyed the show. It's nice to hear from someone seeing it for the first time. Thanks for the kind words about Emma. She is having the time of her life and is learning so much working with this extraordinary cast. Re. not being able to hear the kids. I think you're right that they will remedy this during previews. When we were at the invited dress rehearsal on Sat. I didn't notice not being able to hear them, but there was a sound guy who sat next to us in the aisle for about 15 minutes(we were in the mezzanine) with his computer. He appeared to be checking on the sound.

Re. Herbie adjusting himself. He actually does that after he goes off on the stage manager, telling him that there are ladies around (Rose and Louise). It really would have been awful if he had done it after telling Rose off.

Also, how terrible that the woman was hit with the ceiling piece. I'm glad to know that you saw her after the show. My husband saw the ambulance arrive and assumed they took her away. Never a dull moment!

Thanks again for your review!

March 4th, 2008, 6:34 pm #7

Thanks for the correction! I fixed it in my review -- you're right, and I'm glad I remembered that incorrectly. It still bothered me though, although better that it was a reaction to the stage manager than to Rose!

I was pretty distracted when I got home, after the ceiling-falling-drama.

Yes, Emma was great, totally perfect in her role, and I hope she and Sami Gayle don't grow much so they can stay in the show for a long time! It really didn't matter that Patti is a short woman - she has so much presence, she could be any size and still command the stage as Rose.

P.S. I'm seeing it again! I just decided to splurge. I'm about to leave the country for 8 months, I NEVER spend money on Broadway shows, and I adore Gypsy and Patti Lupone. That justifies it. So I just found a discounted ticket (thank you BroadwayBox.com) in the FRONT ROW on the side of the orchestra section! It pays to go alone - you get random single good seats that are available. So I'll be back Friday night.
Last edited by -Grief- on March 4th, 2008, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

km
km

March 5th, 2008, 1:12 am #8

How great that you're going again! It's definitely a show worth seeing more than once.
Check out this article about the falling vent:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/0 ... oadway/?hp

Enjoy the show again!

March 5th, 2008, 2:03 am #9

I was about 6 seats and an aisle away from the woman who got hit.

Do you know which broadwayworld article they were referring to in the comments?

Was the cast aware that something had happened? In the article's comments, someone in the lower seats said they heard noises and thought someone was dying or going into labor. We didn't think anyone else noticed, because the show went on.

March 5th, 2008, 4:21 pm #10

I can't decide if I'm going to stay after the show Friday and see people at the stage door (I have an early Saturday morning thing), but can you tell me where the stage door is in case I decide to stay?

Thanks!