Gypsy closing

Gypsy closing

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 15th, 2008, 6:33 pm #1

Add Gypsy to the growing list of Broadway shows that will shutter in January as a result of the faltering economy. The production, which led to Tony awards for its stars Patti LuPone, Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti, will play its final performance at the St. James Theater on Jan. 11, its producers announced on Sunday. Though we originally announced that Gypsy would play its final performance on March 1, 2009, due to these uncertain financial times my partners and I have made the difficult decision to close instead on January 11, 2009, said Roger Berlind, one of the shows producers, in a statement. For the week ending Dec. 7, the show filled just over 64% of the seats, and the week before was at less than 52% capacity. Come Jan. 11 the musical, directed by Arthur Laurents with a book by Mr. Laurents, music by Jule Styne and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, will have played 27 previews and 332 regular performances.

Gypsy is the latest theatrical casualty of the bleak economy but it is certainly not the only one. With many other shows recently announcing closing dates in January, early 2009 is looking to be a grim time indeed on Broadway. Among the other shows that will soon end their runs are Young Frankenstein, Hairspray, Boeing-Boeing, Grease and 13, all closing on Jan. 4; Spamalot, which will play its final performance on Jan. 11; and even Spring Awakening which, despite winning eight Tony awards in 2007, will close on Jan. 18.

Natalie
Natalie

December 16th, 2008, 12:14 am #2

Wow...what's left of Broadway now? That's really disappointing. It seems like a lot of the new shows are not very good from what I've seen of clips. Too bad those big shows like Hairspray and Spring Awakening can't survive a bit longer.

guynyc
guynyc

December 16th, 2008, 12:45 am #3

Add Gypsy to the growing list of Broadway shows that will shutter in January as a result of the faltering economy. The production, which led to Tony awards for its stars Patti LuPone, Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti, will play its final performance at the St. James Theater on Jan. 11, its producers announced on Sunday. Though we originally announced that Gypsy would play its final performance on March 1, 2009, due to these uncertain financial times my partners and I have made the difficult decision to close instead on January 11, 2009, said Roger Berlind, one of the shows producers, in a statement. For the week ending Dec. 7, the show filled just over 64% of the seats, and the week before was at less than 52% capacity. Come Jan. 11 the musical, directed by Arthur Laurents with a book by Mr. Laurents, music by Jule Styne and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, will have played 27 previews and 332 regular performances.

Gypsy is the latest theatrical casualty of the bleak economy but it is certainly not the only one. With many other shows recently announcing closing dates in January, early 2009 is looking to be a grim time indeed on Broadway. Among the other shows that will soon end their runs are Young Frankenstein, Hairspray, Boeing-Boeing, Grease and 13, all closing on Jan. 4; Spamalot, which will play its final performance on Jan. 11; and even Spring Awakening which, despite winning eight Tony awards in 2007, will close on Jan. 18.
Andrea gets to play her dream role, Mama Rose, on broadway. But with the shows all being so affected by the economy, who knows when that will be!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

December 16th, 2008, 2:25 pm #4

When a Broadway show closes, how long does the theatre sit unused until another show opens? Does the theatre host traveling shows until it hosts a "long-term" show? Are there times when it isn't a good idea to travel to NYC if you are a theatre lover? What I mean is, is it possible to travel to NYC to find only a few shows on Broadway? I don't go to NYC often, so I assume the theatres have shows going all the time.

Guy Smiley
Guy Smiley

December 16th, 2008, 6:02 pm #5

Theaters are usually booked years in advance. Sometimes a show will close to allow another show to come in, despite ticket sales.

In this case, however, I'm not sure what show is booked to take over the theater.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

December 16th, 2008, 6:05 pm #6

When a Broadway show closes, how long does the theatre sit unused until another show opens? Does the theatre host traveling shows until it hosts a "long-term" show? Are there times when it isn't a good idea to travel to NYC if you are a theatre lover? What I mean is, is it possible to travel to NYC to find only a few shows on Broadway? I don't go to NYC often, so I assume the theatres have shows going all the time.
Theatres are for rent. Sometimes the producers of a show have a certain size theatre in mind and other times they have to move into whichever theatre is unoccupied. It depends on the show's budget and set. Most shows rehearse in dance studios around town until the sets are built and they can move the cast into the theatre. Once all the shows close in January, you will see a lot of dark theatres. They won't open again until someone rents them. The theatre owners are often producers of shows so they will put the show into one of the theatres they own.

Julie

Dina
Dina

December 20th, 2008, 1:37 am #7

It's just so sad.....

betsy
betsy

December 21st, 2008, 2:52 am #8

Theatres are for rent. Sometimes the producers of a show have a certain size theatre in mind and other times they have to move into whichever theatre is unoccupied. It depends on the show's budget and set. Most shows rehearse in dance studios around town until the sets are built and they can move the cast into the theatre. Once all the shows close in January, you will see a lot of dark theatres. They won't open again until someone rents them. The theatre owners are often producers of shows so they will put the show into one of the theatres they own.

Julie
Many of the theaters whose shows are closing in Jan have already been booked.

Betsy
Betsy

December 21st, 2008, 2:53 am #9

Theaters are usually booked years in advance. Sometimes a show will close to allow another show to come in, despite ticket sales.

In this case, however, I'm not sure what show is booked to take over the theater.
A theater owner can toss out a show if it falls behind a certain % so many weeks in a row.