Grinch

RLS
RLS

December 29th, 2008, 9:51 pm #1

Okat, I apoligize if this was asked before. And, even more if I was the one who asked it, lol. I have been wondering and meant to ask before, but can't remember if i did, and I didn't see it when I searched for it. So, sorry if I did already, but I obviously don't remember the answer. Anyhow... on to the quetion....

Did Molly Ryan ever go on as Cindy Lou Who in Grinch? I know that she understudied, but did she ever get to perform that role? I know that Kim posts here from time to time, so perhaps she can tell me?

Kim Ryan
Kim Ryan

December 30th, 2008, 6:23 am #2

Molly only got to play Cindy Lou in understudy rehearsals! The Cindy Lou in her cast, Caroline London (a fantastic little performer, now in Billy Elliot with the Whylands), was never ill, or ever missed a show.

Kim

Meghan
Meghan

December 30th, 2008, 8:09 am #3

Hi Kim

I was wondering...
It seemed to me that in the original cast of Grinch, that it was billed as Cindy Lou being played by Nicole Bocci. Even though, weren't there two casts with equal time so wasnt Caroline just as much Cindy Lou as Nicole? Or maybe I am just imagining it, but it seemed that it was just more emphasized that nicole was Cindy Lou. Why/How was that? (this is the same question I have about 13 on broadway right now where Graham Phillips and Corey Snide are considered alternates for the role of Evan, yet Graham is who is mostly advertized and he is on the recording and stuff...)Also, how was it determined wich cast of kids would get to perform for Macys or for TV appearances and stuff? I was just wondering. Hope everything is great with your wonderful family!

Elin
Elin

December 31st, 2008, 7:41 am #4

It's my understanding that Corey only does one (or two?) performances a week - as opposed to sharing a role equally/double-casting a part. Hence more focus on the kid who performs the most.

Kim Ryan
Kim Ryan

December 31st, 2008, 4:18 pm #5

Hi Kim

I was wondering...
It seemed to me that in the original cast of Grinch, that it was billed as Cindy Lou being played by Nicole Bocci. Even though, weren't there two casts with equal time so wasnt Caroline just as much Cindy Lou as Nicole? Or maybe I am just imagining it, but it seemed that it was just more emphasized that nicole was Cindy Lou. Why/How was that? (this is the same question I have about 13 on broadway right now where Graham Phillips and Corey Snide are considered alternates for the role of Evan, yet Graham is who is mostly advertized and he is on the recording and stuff...)Also, how was it determined wich cast of kids would get to perform for Macys or for TV appearances and stuff? I was just wondering. Hope everything is great with your wonderful family!

Meghan,

From our perspective, at least, it seems as though the casts were treated, overall, equally. Nicole's name was listed before Caroline's simply because of alphabetical order. There was a red and a white cast and the red cast was, mostly, the kids that were able to workshop the show long before the auditions for the Broadway run, and therefore, many of us believe that this is why they were given the opening night performance. Outside of the fact that the white cast got very little tech rehearsal time (the first time they actually ran through the entire show on stage, with costumes and without stopping, was on their Preview Opening Night, before a paid audience - and they did a fantastic job, by the way!), the producers and directors did a fine job in seeing that the two casts were treated equally. At least, we had no complaints! Why the white cast got the Macy's Parade and the Today Show is beyond me, but there are a number of opinions floating around, I'm sure. I think that whichever cast was going to get the Macy's Parade was also going to get the Today Show, and this had much to do with AFTRA involvement. By booking the kids to do TV appearances on both shows, they were "employed" twice by NBC within a month's time and in order for the kids to get paid for these appearances, they had to join AFTRA, if they hadn't done so, already.

Kim

Kim Ryan
Kim Ryan

December 31st, 2008, 4:22 pm #6

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention - the White Cast got The Macy's Parade and The Today Show, and the Red Cast got opening night and they also were recorded for the B-roll footage and were the ones in the souvenir program photos, too. The producers were so great to, by the end of the run, have wonderful photos of the White cast taken for those kids to enjoy and share.

Kim