Good news

Good news

Ned
Ned

May 20th, 2008, 7:10 am #1

I wanted to share some good news with my "Annie" friends. My wife Marisol, originally from Ecuador, received her U.S. citizenship earlier this month after a VERY LONG PROCESS. With the immigration laws constantly changing, we are relieved that we will not need to deal with immigration any longer!!!

breibren
breibren

May 20th, 2008, 10:36 am #2

Congratulations to Marisol!! Just the other day I was sorting through some papers and came across the beautiful colored picture Joel sent during the holidays. Hope your family is doing well!

Ned
Ned

May 20th, 2008, 12:25 pm #3

Thanks. She worked very hard to study the 96 questions about U.S. history and civics, and they asked her six of them. She had to write a few sentences in English. I am very proud of her. Now we're waiting for her passport to arrive so we can travel to Palau with a group of students.

Ned

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 21st, 2008, 2:03 am #4

....from this forum

But I'll let that person announce his or herself.

Congratulations, though, to those who recently became U.S. citizens. Don't forget to vote in November! LOL

Ned
Ned

May 21st, 2008, 5:52 am #5

Thanks for the congratulations!!!

Unfortunately we can't vote for U.S. president here in Guam, even though we live in a U.S. territory. We have one non-voting representative in Congress. I did vote in the Democratic caucus on May 3. That will determine who the Guam delegates support at the Democratic National Convention.

Ned

K-the-O ;-)
K-the-O ;-)

May 21st, 2008, 1:12 pm #6

Oops. Forgot you were in Guam. But yeah, Guam played a big role in the caucus, huh? Actually, every state has, it seems, because it's so close.

Is it frustrating to not be able to vote for President?

Jon Merrill
Jon Merrill

May 21st, 2008, 10:26 pm #7

I wanted to share some good news with my "Annie" friends. My wife Marisol, originally from Ecuador, received her U.S. citizenship earlier this month after a VERY LONG PROCESS. With the immigration laws constantly changing, we are relieved that we will not need to deal with immigration any longer!!!
Hi Ned,

Does Guam still have the problem with the tree snakes that multiplied at some incredible rate and swept over the island? I remember a few years ago they were worried that a couple would get into the luggage compartment of a plane on its way to the U.S. and start multiplying here.

Jon Merrill

old fan
old fan

May 21st, 2008, 11:21 pm #8

...that rats were an enormous problem for Guam. And, that the brown tree snakes cause power failures and many types of crop damage.

Ned
Ned

May 22nd, 2008, 8:32 am #9

Hi all!

Yeah, it is a bit of frustration not being able to vote for president since we are U.S. citizens as part of the U.S., but it has to do with sovereignty for the U.S. territories. Each territory has limited self-government. Our taxes go directly to the Government of Guam even though we use the same tax forms as everyone else. We have no sales tax here. There are advantages and disadvantages like everywhere else. There is a BIG U.S. military presence here with huge Air Force AND Navy bases. Our kids love watching the planes.

We've seen the brown tree snakes, Jon. At the college where we work a student and the president's wife to see who can catch the most. The snakes are poisonous and we try to avoid contact with them. The rumor is that they came here on a ship bringing lumber. Don't know if that's true. They are around, especially in the jungles and like to come out at night. Thank goodness we have not seen the rats. That would freak my wife out.

We love the fruit here. In our yard we have passion fruit, papaya, tropical lemons (kalamansis),coconuts, and bananas plus cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro and basil that we planted. And the beach is so close, only 15 minutes away. We can go for an hour and come back to the house instead of traveling 3 hours one way to the NJ beaches (when we lived in PA). The kids really love that!

Ned

old fan
old fan

May 23rd, 2008, 11:10 pm #10

Ned, because of your recent posts, I decided to educate myself more about Guam ! What a fascinating history, culture, climate...everything ! (I also saw some photos of the tree snakes.) Interesting adventures await!