Marie
Marie

5:50 PM - Jul 03, 2008 #11

Many kids, such as mine, are at a disadvantage. A majority of parents cannot afford to send their children to quality camps such as Stagedoor, Interlochen, French Woods, etc...
Fame should have open calls if they want to get the full casting experience by opening the process up to all income levels.
There are many talented kids who cannot afford the exposure that Stagedoor gives, who have realistic life experience they can bring to a role. They deserve a shot too.
Are available at French Woods. Not sure about the others. Worth looking into!

Frustrated (at times)
Frustrated (at times)

6:24 PM - Jul 03, 2008 #12

Marie,
We have tried the scholarship route, and even with substantial/partial funding, which we were very grateful for, we still couldn't make the numbers work. Thank you for mentioning though. I understand there are other ways to be seen, but I just wanted to chime in about "camp casting".

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

6:40 PM - Jul 03, 2008 #13

Many kids, such as mine, are at a disadvantage. A majority of parents cannot afford to send their children to quality camps such as Stagedoor, Interlochen, French Woods, etc...
Fame should have open calls if they want to get the full casting experience by opening the process up to all income levels.
There are many talented kids who cannot afford the exposure that Stagedoor gives, who have realistic life experience they can bring to a role. They deserve a shot too.
First of all, I posted a link to the NATIONWIDE auditions for "Fame" a few weeks ago:

http://www.famecasting.com/?action=audition

So, Stagedoor Manor is not the only place the casting directors are going to look for talent. I'm sure they also went to performing arts high schools around the country.

In addition, I totally understand your frustration with how expensive these summer camps are, but there are PLENTY of talented kids who never attend summer camp and go on to be successful performers. There are lots of ways to provide training for your child and none of them are particularly cheap. Private singing lessons, dance lessons, acting classes, headshots, trips to NY for auditions, coaches, etc...all add up and make being a professional kid a very expensive endeavor. If having your child in show business is a financial hardship for your family, perhaps it is not the right time for your child to be pursuing it. I know plenty of parents who have told their children that they can pursue acting after they go to college or major in it in college so that at least they are at the age where they can get part-time jobs to help support themselves.

I also think that if you have a child who is itching to perform and train, there are always ways of finding "community" classes, free training, free headshots, and performing opportunities in community theatre. Money should not be the reason not to pursue a dream - even if it is the reason to not attend summer camp, which is a privilege, not a requirement.

Julie

Natalie
Natalie

7:29 PM - Jul 03, 2008 #14

I auditioned for the "Fame" school, Laguardia performing arts high school in Manhattan. While I didn't go, I was accepted. One of the biggest perks of that school was that it's a public performing arts school, which is well known and provides a quality studio art education. Are there schools like this elsewhere for kids with dreams of performing who may not have the income for a private arts education?

Frustrated (at times)
Frustrated (at times)

7:43 PM - Jul 03, 2008 #15

First of all, I posted a link to the NATIONWIDE auditions for "Fame" a few weeks ago:

So, Stagedoor Manor is not the only place the casting directors are going to look for talent. I'm sure they also went to performing arts high schools around the country.

In addition, I totally understand your frustration with how expensive these summer camps are, but there are PLENTY of talented kids who never attend summer camp and go on to be successful performers. There are lots of ways to provide training for your child and none of them are particularly cheap. Private singing lessons, dance lessons, acting classes, headshots, trips to NY for auditions, coaches, etc...all add up and make being a professional kid a very expensive endeavor. If having your child in show business is a financial hardship for your family, perhaps it is not the right time for your child to be pursuing it. I know plenty of parents who have told their children that they can pursue acting after they go to college or major in it in college so that at least they are at the age where they can get part-time jobs to help support themselves.

I also think that if you have a child who is itching to perform and train, there are always ways of finding "community" classes, free training, free headshots, and performing opportunities in community theatre. Money should not be the reason not to pursue a dream - even if it is the reason to not attend summer camp, which is a privilege, not a requirement.

Julie
Julie,
Thank's for your response. Please don't misunderstand, I never said that it was a financial hardship to my family. My child has had some training and has worked professionally. We also know many talented children, who have never attended performing arts camps. I was trying to make a point about how unaffordable some of these camps are and how there seems to be a recent trend of casting agencies showing up at these camps.
Thanks for the famecasting.com link.

ILuvAnnie2
ILuvAnnie2

8:35 PM - Jul 03, 2008 #16

Good points Julie. I agree, Fame casting will be searching high and low to find talent for the remake, including open calls. As far as frustrated goes, I think Julie and others were just giving suggestions since you said even with scholarship money you couldn't make camp work. Success can be had whether a teen attends camps or not.

Jessie
Jessie

1:06 AM - Jul 04, 2008 #17

Julie
Does anyone know when the audition is due by? there is no date on the website. thanks!

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

1:54 AM - Jul 04, 2008 #18

It doesn't seem to say if there is a deadline, so I would recommend filling out the form and see if when you log in, it gives you more information.

Julie

Jessie
Jessie

2:22 AM - Jul 04, 2008 #19

Yeah, I registered back when you first posted the link but I haven't posted a video yet because I've been busy with work and rehearsals for a community theatre production of the sound of music, so I'm going to tape myself soon. But when I log in it doesnt say anything different about a deadline. So i guess I'll just upload my video and if it lets me, that means they are still taking them! haha

thanks! = ]

mom
mom

6:21 PM - Jul 04, 2008 #20

No real reason to feel frustrated in regards to missing this type of casting. Although this film will require many actors with talent, big casting nets like this are typically for publicity for the film. They are looking high and low for the right talent, however, they have been casting for months in both LA and NY with callbacks already taking place. Due to content matter, they are also looking at 18 plus to play younger.

It is not unusual for films to do major open casting calls across the nation. But, it is to gain attention to the film prior to opening AND to get a big audience when it opens due to prior awareness. It even gets free TV publicity. Will some people get picked up as day players or background from these open auditions -- probably. Will they get cast as leads -- probably not (if you look at trends in filmmaking).

And I definately agree on the price of camps etc. Unfortunately, showbiz is typically a "rich man's sport." We don't live in a major market and must buy last minute plane tickets for every audition/callback. It requires major financial sacrifices from our family. Also means no extra spending money left over for "training" in places like theatre camp or even with teachers in major markets. Luckily, DD has had a chance to book some nice professional roles and use those as her training. But no getting around the fact that $$ can go along way to promoting the talent.