Noel
Noel

7:15 AM - Jul 30, 2008 #11

Just heard from Louanne in LA; she reports being fine, but it was "quite a shake."
Jon that is so sweet of you to check on her. So glad she is fine.

french_girl
french_girl

11:00 AM - Jul 30, 2008 #12

OMG... I just saw that there was reports of a 5.4 earthquake out there that was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego.........

Everyone from here that is out there OK???

Please check in and let us know that you are okay when you have a second... I'm sure that things are crazy out there, but our thoughts and prayers are with you...
when was this earthquake ? didn't hear of it :x
well it's said that in LA there are earthquake all the time (i dunno i've never been there) is that true ? and if so , was this one stronger that what you're "used" to ? are there victims ?
i'm glad too to know you are ok, if it was a strong one i guess they'll talk about in on the news or something

french_girl
french_girl

11:22 AM - Jul 30, 2008 #13

we had a 5.4 earthquake too here in France in 2003 (i just cheked on the web and saw it was 5.4 too) so if it was like here, it's really not that strong, i remember nothing even fell down at my home

Dina
Dina

11:34 AM - Jul 30, 2008 #14

Did you live here in 94 Julie? I've lived here all my life and remember both Earthquakes in 72 and 94.

I've never understood that getting under something as that is what they used to make us do at school for the "Bomb Drills". Anyone else here in charge of pulling the big brown heavy curtain? That was always my job because I was always last in the alphabet...oh joy!

Glad everyone is fine.
Noel, was the 94 earthquake the one where a young man (I think from the East Coast and living in the Valley) died when his apartment roof collapsed on him when he was sleeping? I don't know why, but that particular story stuck out. I was so upset when I heard about it.

I remember I was in San Diego visiting my parents in the early 90's and there was a 6 or 7 earthquake...I remember the dishes rattling and feeling the rumble in the kitchen floor.

Noel
Noel

1:40 PM - Jul 30, 2008 #15

Quite a few people died in that apartment building. When we went by it, it appeared that it was a two story building, however, in actuality it was a three story building.

The owner of the Lighting Company we worked for at the time had died unexpectedly at age 45 a few months before so his wife took over and she and her two sons were still living in their house in Northridge when the earthquake caused it to literally split in two and it was red tagged. After that they stayed with my husband and I in our apartment for a few days then moved to a hotel. It was a shock for them as their house was a HUGE mansion and we had a little apartment but we managed just fine.

Julie Stevens
Julie Stevens

6:23 PM - Jul 30, 2008 #16

Did you live here in 94 Julie? I've lived here all my life and remember both Earthquakes in 72 and 94.

I've never understood that getting under something as that is what they used to make us do at school for the "Bomb Drills". Anyone else here in charge of pulling the big brown heavy curtain? That was always my job because I was always last in the alphabet...oh joy!

Glad everyone is fine.
No, I wasn't in LA for the Northridge quake but I did feel a pretty big one the first year I lived here.

Julie

Julie Smith
Julie Smith

11:32 PM - Jul 31, 2008 #17

My house shook but my cats didn't seem to care. No damage here. I just walked around my house wondering what I was supposed to do, like get under a table, but by the time I got to my kitchen table, the quake was over.

Julie
I think you're supposed to brace yourself in a doorway. What do I know though, I have lived in the Mid-West my whole life. It just seems like I remember seeing a "What To Do If" show on TV sometime ago, and they said to do the doorway thing.